Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai Previews New AG Luxury Sedan and Facelifted Grandeur / Azera

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-14, 08:03 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hyundai Previews New AG Luxury Sedan and Facelifted Grandeur / Azera

At the opening day of the 2014 Busan International Motor Show that runs from May 29 to June 8, Hyundai pulled the covers off two models, including the all-new AG premium large sedan and the revised Grandeur, which we know as the Azera in North America.

With the new AG that is scheduled to debut in Korea later this year slotting between the Grandeur and the Genesis sedan, Hyundai purportedly wants to recapture some of the ground it lost to German premium carmakers like Audi, BMW and Mercedes-Benz over the past couple of years, targeting middle-aged buyers.

Hyundai said the AG will "offer quiet and sophisticated driving comfort, while adopting a series of advanced convenience features" adding that it expects the car to "reinforce the premium image" of the company in Korea.

The front-wheel drive model is based on the underpinnings of the Grandeur offering a more refined, almost Teutonic look combined with an upright face with some hints of Buick . Not much else was released about the AG, as even the windows were blacked out to cover the interior, with Hyundai saying it will share more information closer to launch.

The other debut in Busan is the 2015 Grandeur that gains some minor cosmetic revisions such as the redesigned front bumper with LED fog lamps, new grille and tweaked rear fascia, along with a remodeled center console featuring the latest HVAC (Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning) controls and as a new 8-inch navigation screen as standard.

Under the hood, there's a new (Euro VI) 2.2-liter R turbo diesel unit that produces 202PS (199hp) and 441Nm (45 kg/m) of peak torque, while Hyundai made some improvements to the standard Theta II 2.4-liter GDI petrol engine that delivers 190PS (187hp).

Other enhancements for the 2015 Grandeur include the revised motor-driven power steering system, and added standard content such as the Blind Spot Detection (BSD), Front Collision Warning System (FCWS), and Lane Departure Warning System (LDWS) systems.

"Amid tougher business conditions and fiercer competition, Hyundai Motor is continuously striving to provide products and services with solid fundamentals," said Choong Ho Kim, President and CEO of Hyundai Motor, in an email statement. “We place customer satisfaction before anything else, and the improved Grandeur and ‘AG’, introduced today, are at the center of these efforts, fully reflecting our customers’ voices.”
http://www.carscoops.com/2014/05/hyu...ury-sedan.html
Old 05-29-14, 08:09 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Two live photos

Old 05-29-14, 08:15 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I much prefer the existing design, personally. I think the Azera is a great looking car!
Old 05-29-14, 08:27 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The best looking Hyundai.

Such a shame not much people in USA buy it. Also why doesn't hyundai consider selling the Azera in Australia?
Old 05-29-14, 09:26 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Like the fogs and the wheels are hot. The grill not so much. Sharp looking car overall.

Hot damn I'm in love with that interior color. Like a dark umber. And the purple ambient lighting is a really nice touch
Old 05-29-14, 10:56 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by yowps3
The best looking Hyundai.
I agree

At one point, I was debating on whether I would choose this or the Peugeot 508 SW GT. Right now, it seems that the Peugeot will get priority on my future buying list...........the reason being the steering wheel paddle shifters (which the Azera doesn't have sadly).

If I have more money, then I will come back to this Hyundai.

Also why doesn't hyundai consider selling the Azera in Australia?
They did some testing though in Sydney last year (mostly for global hot-weather testing) but no confirmation if there will be an Australian launch:
http://www.caradvice.com.au/212294/h...ing-australia/

I can think of two plausible reasons:

1) Right Hand Drive demand and RHD development costs

Would demand (from Australia) be enough to support RHD production for the Azera? After all, the biggest RHD markets would come from Australia followed by South Africa then New Zealand......then followed by the rest of Asia-Pacific RHD territories.

There has to be demand and that Hyundai fans from these RHD countries should be willing to buy the vehicle. Otherwise, there is no point (from a company perspective)

2) Is there room in the lineup?

Remember, in the case of Australia, you guys already have the i40 (in both saloon and estate station wagon) as well as the YF Sonata (aka i45 sedan). Is there room for another FWD vehicle in the Hyundai lineup? Will there be enough 'blokes' that will buy it?

If there won't be volume sales for the car, then the next option to be evaluated would be:
Is Hyundai Australia willing to do special/intent orders?

Here in the Philippines, the Hyundai Azera is an intent order model (around 2-3 units a month)

But that doesn't mean the car sucks. Far from it.

It just means that the Philippine market is low-volume (since only less than 1% of the population has an automobile.....or can afford to buy an automobile)

Just saying

P.S.

By the way, I'll also be keeping an eye on this upcoming AG prototype vehicle

The interior will be the deciding factor for me.....

Last edited by Blackraven; 05-29-14 at 11:31 AM.
Old 05-29-14, 11:29 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Azera is my favourite car in the segment.
Old 05-29-14, 11:51 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't see how this can possibly appeal to anyone under 80. Huyndai Oldfarteur.
Old 05-29-14, 12:47 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 185 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven

Grill reminds me of a Buick LaCrosse
Old 05-29-14, 01:02 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm not a fan of the rear design,chrome trim at fender meeting hood and center console/dash.Looks like hard plastic dash top too.
We all can pick faults on just about every vehicle..
Still the design is very nice.Nicest Hyundai to me.
Still would like to see one in person.
Old 05-29-14, 01:37 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

wait so is the AG another car for KDM market ?

the new refresh for azera is looking good. the vertical grille gives it the much needed snoutier look. I have to say, kia and hyundai are better looking than the japanese counterparts. Lexus toyota nissan infiniti is not the better looking no more.

Last edited by Tantrix; 05-29-14 at 01:45 PM.