Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Klaus Frölich of BMW: "With a manual you are slower, but it is more emotional; it now

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-14, 07:28 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Klaus Frölich of BMW: "With a manual you are slower, but it is more emotional; it now

Future BMWs won’t chase efficiency with nine or more gears, but will get three-cylinder power, according to tech chief

BMW is convinced its current transmission policy of eight-speed automatics, seven-speed dual-clutches and six-speed manuals is the perfect combination, according to its small and midsize cars boss, Klaus Frolich.

Speaking to Auto Express at the launch of the new X4 and 4 Series Gran Coupe – both of which offer an eight-speed ‘Sport Auto’ paddleshifter option – Frolich expressed scepticism at the gearbox policies of rivals Jaguar Land Rover, Mercedes and Cadillac, all of whom are working on transmissions offering nine or more forward speeds.

“We ran some tests” explained Frolich. “The [efficiency] difference between an automatic with six speeds and eight speeds is seven or eight per cent, which is a good result. But the benefit for nine speeds [instead of eight] is almost zero per cent. Plus, it adds weight, complexity and cost, and with turbocharged engines you have a good spread of torque, so [drivers] do not want to have the gearbox constantly changing its mind.”

Quizzed over the policy to equip BMW’s M Division cars with a seven-speed dual-clutch gearbox (known as M-DCT), Frolich said: “Seven gears is not optimum, it is a compromise. As in a manual gearbox, in a twin-clutch you must arrange all the gears in a line, so for weight and packaging reasons we are limited to seven speeds. But our new turbo M cars have so much torque this is no problem. DCT remains right for M cars because we can’t make a torque-convertor that would be durable up to 8000rpm.”

Frolich also confirmed that for the foreseeable future, the manual transmission is safe at BMW, both in M Division cars and regular non-performance models. “Of course, with a manual you are slower, but it is more emotional; it now says ‘I am a serious driver, I am a connoisseur’. So, we will continue [to offer a manual] even if only ten per cent of customers want it. That is why we offer a manual M5 sedan in North America. It is stupid – the development costs are huge – but we will keep doing it as long as the customer wants it.”

BMW unconvinced by Audi prediction
Asked about the possibility of three-cylinder engines in larger cars like the 3 Series and 5 Series, Frolich was unconvinced by Audi CEO Rupert Stadler’s prediction that this will become the norm within ten years. That’s despite four-cylinder turbo engines having beginning to usurp thirsty six-cylinders in the large executive saloon and estate class, in Europe at least.

Frolich forecasted: “[small engines in the larger cars] will happen, but only when the buyers are ready. Many buyers don’t care how many cylinders are in their BMW, and the new MINI shows the potential for three-cylinder. But honestly, it is much easier for us to make three-cylinder engines work with front-wheel drive than rear-wheel drive.”
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/bmw/4-s...ture-gearboxes
Old 05-29-14, 08:45 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good interview - I pretty much agree. Look at the performance of Chrysler's new 9AT in comparison to much of the competition, which is using 6ATs. Not much of a difference.

There was a time when we all said that nothing more than a 6AT was necessary, but we seem content now with 7 and 8 forward speeds. I really think an 8AT is about as high as it needs to go for the current time, but perhaps I will be wrong ten years down the road.

There are a lot of variables, but from my experience, 6 speeds is pretty much the sweet spot for day-to-day and performance driving.
Old 05-29-14, 09:23 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Many buyers don’t care how many cylinders are in their BMW, and the new MINI shows the potential for three-cylinder
With enthusiasts this is simply not true. But with the masses, all that matters is that BMW badge. Our Finance Director just picked up a 335i and chipped it, and one of the Finance Managers picked up a 320i (trading in her IS250).
Old 06-01-14, 01:41 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I just couldn't imagine purchasing a BMW with an automatic gearbox.
Old 06-01-14, 02:10 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Klaus Frölich of BMW: "With a manual you are slower, but it is more emotional"
had to read that again. It's like er duh lol
Old 06-01-14, 04:12 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Good interview - I pretty much agree. Look at the performance of Chrysler's new 9AT in comparison to much of the competition, which is using 6ATs. Not much of a difference.

There was a time when we all said that nothing more than a 6AT was necessary, but we seem content now with 7 and 8 forward speeds. I really think an 8AT is about as high as it needs to go for the current time, but perhaps I will be wrong ten years down the road.

There are a lot of variables, but from my experience, 6 speeds is pretty much the sweet spot for day-to-day and performance driving.
Well Chrysler 2.4L I4 inefficient fuel consumption characteristics mask some of the 9-speeds added benefit. It's even more masked in the Cherokee, which is on the heavier side for its class. Ultimately, many automakers seem to just be taking whatever ZF puts out, especially Chrysler having adopted both the 9-speed and 8-speed boxes.
Old 06-01-14, 05:20 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

True, for the most part I didn't care how much slower I was with a manual. It was about the experience. I've measured my 0-60 time maybe 3 time since I started driving. Now, the ZF-5 transmission in my dad's truck is one slow shifting manual. Most truck transmissions are. But in a sports car it can be a great deal of fun.

And as far as the number of gears go....I finally just went from a 4-spd to a 6-spd auto this year, lol.
Old 06-01-14, 06:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I just couldn't imagine purchasing a BMW with an automatic gearbox.
There are reasons, however, why many DO.

Old 06-02-14, 10:02 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

I was stuck in 4 hours traffic driving 6mt WRX. I was happy I got WRX instead of my 2IS. I would be bored to death.