Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is Lexus creating a competition to its own RX?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-14, 01:26 PM
lexicanto
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Lexus creating a competition to its own RX?

All right. I learned today that Lexus is preparing a modern 7-seat crossover to "augment popular RX 350"

Source: http://www.torquenews.com/1083/lexus...popular-rx-350

Now I am thinking:

Will the new Lexus 7-passenger crossover bring new business, or simply steal from RX sales?
Old 05-20-14, 01:56 PM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 119 Posts

I have a feeling that will be the new RX and the new NX will fill the smaller SUV slot.
Old 05-20-14, 02:07 PM
Mors
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by offroad200
I have a feeling that will be the new RX and the new NX will fill the smaller SUV slot.
I thought that might be the case at first too, but the NX has nowhere near the horsepower that the RX does so I honestly hope they don't get rid of the 5 seater RX unless the 3rd row folds down to absolutely nothing to accommodate as much cargo space as we have now in the RX.

NX: 235hp (194 in hybrid)
RX: 270hp (295 in hybrid)
Old 05-20-14, 05:12 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Mors
I thought that might be the case at first too, but the NX has nowhere near the horsepower that the RX does so I honestly hope they don't get rid of the 5 seater RX unless the 3rd row folds down to absolutely nothing to accommodate as much cargo space as we have now in the RX.

NX: 235hp (194 in hybrid)
RX: 270hp (295 in hybrid)
I have a feeling that the mahority of people who are buying in this segment really dont care about horsepower. As long as it moves when they push the pedal, it will sell.
Old 05-20-14, 07:53 PM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Oh YUCK! Bigger isn't better in my book. I hope that 3rd row seat is optional (fingers crossed).
Old 05-20-14, 08:20 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

What is still officially unknown is whether the 4RX will be a 7-passenger vehicle. If we look at the NX which is 5.5 inches shorter and 1.5 inches narrower, it's not a huge difference compared to the current RX. Even legroom and cargo capacity of the NX have been made to be close to the current RX. With this said, the RX will likely "grow" in size. To what amount, unsure, but looking at history, the Highlander and RX shared platforms which implies the next RX may grow up to 3 inches to meet the current Highlander's length. We also know that the "TX" name was registered which has been long-rumored to be reserved for the next 7-passenger CUV, but that may not occur for another 2 or 3 years since it may be slated to replace the current (and profitable) GX.

Lots of speculation still, but to answer if any cannibalization of the RX will occur and the answer is Inevitably Yes. I am one of those buyers who find the current RX just a touch too big but I bought it anyway because of the styling, quality, and brand loyalty, BUT with the NX soon out, that's the vehicle for me and in fact I already put a deposit on it. If a 7-passenger crossover does eventually come out outside the RX nameplate (i.e. "TX"), it will also add to the cannibalization for those buyers who wanted something bigger without going to the body-on-frame, pricier, and thirstier GX. Question will be, by how much though I also believe that even if RX sales drop below 100k/year , overall sales of the NX + RX + (if we have a TX) will top 100k/year.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 05-20-14 at 08:28 PM.
Old 05-20-14, 08:44 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I Actually like what BMW did with the X5.
If you want 3rd row seat, it's optional.

If im not mistaken, Nissan pathfinder is doing the same thing.
You can choose 5 or 7.
Old 05-21-14, 01:20 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by markrivers

You can choose 5 or 7.
+1. The new RR Sport also has an option if 7 seats if needed but is a 5 seater. I think thatll be a good path for Lexus to follow with their RX. While they are at it, they can stick the 340hp hybrid drivetrain from the GS too.
Old 05-21-14, 06:40 AM
dwlink
Driver

Originally Posted by markrivers

You can choose 5 or 7.
Combine this with rear seats the fold down completely flat along with some more tech upgrades in the front and you'd have a great next gen RX.
Old 05-21-14, 08:10 AM
ngerstman
Rookie

I saw the new nx at the auto show. I thought that it looked nice enough but was disappointed in the horse power. Just not competitive with luxury vehicles in this class whether it be the Acura rdx, the Audi q5, the Mercedes or the BMW. The right amount of power is one of those things that make a vehicle fun to drive. It would keep me from buying one. Lexus has a habit of always coming up short in that area. Very disappointed!!! Regards. Ned.
Old 05-21-14, 11:59 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My RX wishlist-

- 340hp GS450h Drivetrain
- Rear wheel steer
- 12" screen
- New RTI touchpad
- Adaptive suspension
- Those funky light up door handles from the NX

Cant see why they cant integrate all that into the next one!
Old 05-21-14, 12:43 PM
Dreamlab
Rookie

Like someone else said, since the NX will be priced under the RX, it will def. steal away sales. A bigger SUV priced in the $60's may not steal sales from the RX as much as from the X5 and the Q7..
Old 05-21-14, 01:45 PM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ngerstman
I saw the new nx at the auto show. I thought that it looked nice enough but was disappointed in the horse power. Just not competitive with luxury vehicles in this class whether it be the Acura rdx, the Audi q5, the Mercedes or the BMW. The right amount of power is one of those things that make a vehicle fun to drive. It would keep me from buying one. Lexus has a habit of always coming up short in that area. Very disappointed!!! Regards. Ned.
IMHO, Lexus really NEEDS a small, fuel-efficient luxury vehicle that gets amazingly great gas mileage. As long as it sells well, it will somewhat offset the large Lexus gas hogs and improve their CAFE numbers.

That said, I sure wouldn't buy one.
Old 05-21-14, 02:28 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by RickC5
IMHO, Lexus really NEEDS a small, fuel-efficient luxury vehicle that gets amazingly great gas mileage. As long as it sells well, it will somewhat offset the large Lexus gas hogs and improve their CAFE numbers.

That said, I sure wouldn't buy one.
Agreed. And with the nearly 3700 lb. Avalon and ES hybrids getting 40/39 MPG numbers there is hope the NX hybrid will approach those values with no more than a 10% aerodynamics penalty for being a SUV. If Lexus pulls it off these will move off the lots in droves. Only time will tell.
Old 05-21-14, 02:32 PM
sandy14
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rayaans
My RX wishlist-

- 340hp GS450h Drivetrain
- Rear wheel steer
- 12" screen
- New RTI touchpad
- Adaptive suspension
- Those funky light up door handles from the NX

Cant see why they cant integrate all that into the next one!
Add cross traffic alert. Perfect!

Quick Reply: Is Lexus creating a competition to its own RX?