Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Full-Review: 2014 Infiniti Q50

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-14, 11:01 AM
obturator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

C&D July 2014 issue gave another less than stellar review of the Q50S.
Old 06-05-14, 11:24 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by obturator
C&D July 2014 issue gave another less than stellar review of the Q50S.
I actually found it to be a pretty hollow review, and didn't really state one way or the other how they liked the car. Mainly that they tried a Q50S without DAS and, as expected, the car is better without it. They did complain about the packaging of options and all that is not available on the Q50S without DAS (no DAS means no power tilt and telescoping steering column, split folding rear seats, the Around view Monitor, or the auto dimming mirrors).

Despite the lack of features, their tested model had a list price of $50,955, mostly due to an expensive $4300 wheel and tire package.

Last edited by JDR76; 06-05-14 at 11:28 AM.
Old 06-05-14, 11:47 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I actually found it to be a pretty hollow review, and didn't really state one way or the other how they liked the car. Mainly that they tried a Q50S without DAS and, as expected, the car is better without it. They did complain about the packaging of options and all that is not available on the Q50S without DAS (no DAS means no power tilt and telescoping steering column, split folding rear seats, the Around view Monitor, or the auto dimming mirrors).

Despite the lack of features, their tested model had a list price of $50,955, mostly due to an expensive $4300 wheel and tire package.
Exactly. They spent 80% of the article talking about DAS and the packages that make it mandatory. Based on previous tests they like the bones of the Q50 and its luxurious interior, but DAS needs refinement.
Old 06-05-14, 12:23 PM
obturator
Lead Lap

I agree with you guys. DAS was suppose to be this great, innovative selling feature for this car. To get the car without it would involve losing a lot of other luxury items because of how Infiniti packaged all their nannies like the 360 degree camera, etc. It's a shame because it is a great car inside and out. Nonetheless, it was an uninspiring review.

Last edited by obturator; 06-05-14 at 12:29 PM.
Old 06-08-14, 05:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

To get the car without it would involve losing a lot of other luxury items because of how Infiniti packaged all their nannies like the 360 degree camera, etc.
Perhaps the most annoying Infiniti nanny, even more so than the DAS (which I haven't tried yet), is the Lane-Change Warning system. I have never liked that feature in any Infiniti product (it is now spreading to some other automakers as well). If you don't steer like you are on railroad tracks, and (seemingly) drift just a couple of inches either way, the beepers go off almost continuously. On the M45 Sport I reviewed a few years ago, I finally had to stop, figure out where the button was, and shut the device off before it drove me nuts. Same with some other Infiniti's I've sampled. Besides, IMO, a driver should be alert and competent enough so that he or she doesn't need electronics to steer the car straight. If he or she can't even do that.........shouldn't have a Drivers' License.
Old 06-08-14, 08:09 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

MM, your reviews are the best but I do not believe you are accurately describing the system's behaviors.

I have seat time since last August.

If you go across the lane line, yes, it will beep away.

It generally does mild corrections (but quietly) if it senses you are getting close to the lane line.

The lights that trigger (inside the car near the external side mirrors) when a vehicle is next to you are quite useful to avoid sideswiping someone in a blind spot, when you make a quick decision to change lanes (without making sure all is clear).

The system also pays extra attention if for example you put your left blinker on and it has already sensed someone is next to you or if it does not believe you can safety execute a lane change.

One of my favorite behavior modifiers the car does is, if it thinks you are getting to close to the car ahead of you, it will have the gas pedal push back while you are trying to push it forward (i.e., look stupid, if you keep your foot on the gas you are going to hit the dude in front of you).
Old 06-09-14, 06:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
MM, your reviews are the best
Thanks....glad you enjoy them.

,but I do not believe you are accurately describing the system's behaviors.
Yes, they have been fine-tuned over the several years since they came out. I probably didn't emphasize that quite enough.

I have seat time since last August.

If you go across the lane line, yes, it will beep away.

It generally does mild corrections (but quietly) if it senses you are getting close to the lane line.

The lights that trigger (inside the car near the external side mirrors) when a vehicle is next to you are quite useful to avoid sideswiping someone in a blind spot, when you make a quick decision to change lanes (without making sure all is clear).

The system also pays extra attention if for example you put your left blinker on and it has already sensed someone is next to you or if it does not believe you can safety execute a lane change.

One of my favorite behavior modifiers the car does is, if it thinks you are getting to close to the car ahead of you, it will have the gas pedal push back while you are trying to push it forward (i.e., look stupid, if you keep your foot on the gas you are going to hit the dude in front of you).
I agree with much of what you say, but, to me, the system still not an excuse for not paying attention. In fact, it's generally easier for me to pay attention if I'm NOT being distracted by beeping-devices.

While I'm not totally against electronic safety-devices (some of them, to me, do make sense, like ABS), I'm generally of the opinion that careful and common-sense driving is the best device of all.
Old 06-09-14, 07:28 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,106 Likes on 1,366 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
While I'm not totally against electronic safety-devices (some of them, to me, do make sense, like ABS), I'm generally of the opinion that careful and common-sense driving is the best device of all.
like it or not, these systems will be across the board in a few years.

then the govt will require them, then they won't be able to be turned off.

just watch...
Old 06-09-14, 07:53 AM
obturator
Lead Lap

I'm with mmarshall. BSM, yes. RCTA, yes. PCS, no. Lane assist, no. Why? Sometimes during aggressive or defensive maneuvering, I can't have the system prevent or delay me from doing what I want/need the car to do. It's one thing when the system just beeps and another when the system actually steers or applies the brakes. But then again, I could turn off these nannies. Don't text or have inane conversations on the phone or bluetooth while driving. Don't tailgate. It's that simple to stay aware of your surroundings. Of course there are exceptions.

Last edited by obturator; 06-09-14 at 09:00 AM.
Old 06-09-14, 08:07 AM
LexFather

I'm with mmarshall. BSM, yes. RCTA, yes. PCS, no. Lane assist, no. Why? Sometimes during aggressive or defensive maneuvering, I can't have the system prevent or delay me from doing what I want the car to do. It's one thing when the system just beeps and another when the system actually steers or applies the brakes. But then again, I could turn off these nannies. Don't text or have inane conversations on the phone or bluetooth while driving. Don't tailgate. It's that simple to stay aware of your surroundings. Of course there are exceptions.
The HS 250h had these features back in 2009/2010 and I agree lane assist was the one I liked the least driving around most of the time. However when one is tired late a night it can alert you if one drifts out of their lane.

I also remember how intrusive it was on the M56 I drove a few years ago.

Old 06-09-14, 08:15 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Good luck with lane assist on the BQE.
Old 06-09-14, 02:18 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Very soon we will be driving this, albeit on electronic railway tracks

Old 06-12-14, 09:46 AM
mondo540
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice review....this car has been slowly rising to near the top of my list but I am waiting for 2015's to come out. I am leaning Hybrid this time around but want something more enthusiast oriented than a Fusion, MKZ or ES for around 50K...if I can get 30+ mpg with the performance I am reading about over in the q50 forums, I will be happy...just seems like the car needs to be a bit more sorted out with all the tech, DAS etc.
Old 06-12-14, 09:57 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'm generally of the opinion that careful and common-sense driving is the best device of all.
LMAO....unfortunately, in the houston area these drivers don't exist.

just as an example, on my daily commute home either via vanpool/bus I see countless people texting/talking on the phone while driving on I-45N...(but it's ok, cuz it's not illegal in this joke of a state).

Attorney General Greg Abbott is favored to replace Gov. Rick Perry and shares his disdain for efforts to “micromanage” electronic communications device use by the state’s adult drivers. The TxDOT links distracted driving to 90,378 crashes in 2012. Fatalities numbered 453, with serious injuries put at 18,468.

Last edited by bagwell; 06-12-14 at 10:04 AM.
Old 06-12-14, 10:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by chikoo
Very soon we will be driving this, albeit on electronic railway tracks

Worse than that. The COMPUTERS will be driving the cars on electronic railway tracks.

Quick Reply: MM Full-Review: 2014 Infiniti Q50