Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Full-Review: 2014 Infiniti Q50

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-14, 01:33 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 584 Likes on 403 Posts

Haven't been following it lately, but I know that when the Q50 first launched, they were having issues with the infotainment system crashing on a fairly regular basis and often restarting the car was required to get it up and running again. Software updates have been fairly regular so I'm hopeful that it has gotten better. Anyone want to provide specifics?
Old 06-02-14, 01:39 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

The software has been patched but is not right enough to get the Apps functioning.

Pretty pathetic that I have had the car since August and this hasn't been sorted out yet.

FYI, you do not need to restart the car to reboot, just hold the on off button for 3 seconds.
Old 06-02-14, 02:58 PM
obturator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The InTouch system would ruin the new car experience for me...especially when I shell out about 50K for the car. I don't care how well it drives. It would just sour my experience having to reboot often or taking it into the dealership.
Old 06-02-14, 04:44 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

To be honest, the Infiniti has had way better out of the box quality than my 06 IS 350.

They just have a sheet for brayns IT department who was in charge of the In Touch stuff.

My IS was out of service within weeks of delivery for a failed seatbelt, then multiple issues with the TPMS system, a bunch of recalls, the sunglass holder failed and needed to be replaced, blue screen of death for the nav. But the thing with Lexus is they took care of me each time and I would buy another one in a heart beat. Infiniti for me is no, not again.
Old 06-02-14, 05:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by obturator
The InTouch system would ruin the new car experience for me...especially when I shell out about 50K for the car. I don't care how well it drives
You would plunk down 50K on a new car not caring how it drives?

If that were the case with everyone, I guess I'd be wasting my time doing these reviews.
Old 06-02-14, 06:01 PM
obturator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Of course not, mmarshall. How it drives is the most important factor. However, when I buy an expensive car, I feel that everything should be in working order...not break down or have multiple software issues that require me to take time from work to visit the dealership countless numbers of time within the first few months of ownership. I understand not every car is perfect but come on. Just imagine how excited you were when you took deliver of your car and took in that deep breath to smell the luxurious fragrance of a new car. Wouldn't you be disappointed if your car kept having problems over and over without any resolution for months on end. I don't know about you, but that would sour my new car experience--no matter how well the car drives.
Old 06-02-14, 06:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by obturator
Of course not, mmarshall. How it drives is the most important factor. However, when I buy an expensive car, I feel that everything should be in working order...not break down or have multiple software issues that require me to take time from work to visit the dealership countless numbers of time within the first few months of ownership. I understand not every car is perfect but come on. Just imagine how excited you were when you took deliver of your car and took in that deep breath to smell the luxurious fragrance of a new car. Wouldn't you be disappointed if your car kept having problems over and over without any resolution for months on end. I don't know about you, but that would sour my new car experience--no matter how well the car drives.
OK, Thanks. ...that explains your position a little better, and makes more sense.

Yes, unfortunately I've bought my share of new lemons....several of them. In the late 70s and early 1980s, Detroit (trust me on this) built some of the worst junk imaginable......And I learned the hard way, before I finally dumped the American companies in 1984 to switch to Mazda....and Japanese vehicles. Lately, of course, since the buyout, GM and Chrysler have been producing MUCH better vehicles.....and I current drive a Buick Verano that I am extremely well-pleased with. Of course, the Verano, though, is a redone Opel Astra sedan, rather than an American Buick per se.
Old 06-03-14, 06:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
To be honest, the Infiniti has had way better out of the box quality than my 06 IS 350.
To some extent, I have to agree. I have generally not been impressed with newer IS or ES models since about 2006....though the GS seems to have held its quality somewhat better, perhaps because of the higher price. With the possible exception of some of the infotainment software, the Q50, as you suggest, does seem to be at least one step ahead of its low/mid-range Lexus competition in material quality.
Old 06-03-14, 06:41 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 584 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
The software has been patched but is not right enough to get the Apps functioning.

Pretty pathetic that I have had the car since August and this hasn't been sorted out yet.

FYI, you do not need to restart the car to reboot, just hold the on off button for 3 seconds.
Good to know, thanks for the first hand insights
Old 06-03-14, 07:06 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
To some extent, I have to agree. I have generally not been impressed with newer IS or ES models since about 2006....though the GS seems to have held its quality somewhat better, perhaps because of the higher price. With the possible exception of some of the infotainment software, the Q50, as you suggest, does seem to be at least one step ahead of its low/mid-range Lexus competition in material quality.
both the 2006 - 2012 IS & ES have better quality interiors and materials than their successors..
Old 06-03-14, 07:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by yowps3
both the 2006 - 2012 IS & ES have better quality interiors and materials than their successors..
I owned a 1Gen IS300 for over 5 years, and did full-reviews on a both a number of 2Gen IS models (including the convertible) and a 3Gen IS250AWD. While not actually owning an ES, I also have done full-reviews on later ones, especially the 4, 5, and 6Gen ones. While respecting your opinion, I have to disagree with it. The 2Gen IS, without the polished chrome-ball shifter and Swiss-Chrongraph gauge-package, did LOOK more refined and Lexus-like inside than the 1Gen, but the actual materials used both inside and outside were of a lighter/thinner feel. Same with the ES....each redesign since the admittedly superb 4Gen model has brought lighter, thinner materials and an overall cheaper feel.
Old 06-03-14, 11:25 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I owned a 1Gen IS300 for over 5 years, and did full-reviews on a both a number of 2Gen IS models (including the convertible) and a 3Gen IS250AWD. While not actually owning an ES, I also have done full-reviews on later ones, especially the 4, 5, and 6Gen ones. While respecting your opinion, I have to disagree with it. The 2Gen IS, without the polished chrome-ball shifter and Swiss-Chrongraph gauge-package, did LOOK more refined and Lexus-like inside than the 1Gen, but the actual materials used both inside and outside were of a lighter/thinner feel. Same with the ES....each redesign since the admittedly superb 4Gen model has brought lighter, thinner materials and an overall cheaper feel.
Yes the quality of plastics used on the 1IS were better than the 2Is (particularly the pre facelift 2IS) but the 1IS had too much black on black theme.

But regarding the the latest 6th Gen ES. The cabin materials are just shockingly bad. In fact they set a precedent for cheap and low tier materials used in a Lexus. Even the 3RX is much the same, but a little better than the 6ES.

And between the 2IS & 3IS the 2IS easily had a much better interior quality and design too.

And while the GS is a bright spot, I personally think the previous GS had a more 'Lexus' aura to it that all new Lexus's lack today..

Old 06-04-14, 06:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by yowps3
Yes the quality of plastics used on the 1IS were better than the 2Is (particularly the pre facelift 2IS) but the 1IS had too much black on black theme.
I agree with that, although 2-tone seats were available if desired.

But regarding the the latest 6th Gen ES. The cabin materials are just shockingly bad. In fact they set a precedent for cheap and low tier materials used in a Lexus. Even the 3RX is much the same, but a little better than the 6ES.
Same, to an extent, with the new Avalon...the ES's cousin. To be fair (and I don't pan just for the sake of panning), they LOOK good on the surface (better on the eyes, in fact, IMO, than with past generations). But the problem is the extreme lightness and flimsiness underneath. Try shutting the glove box lid, for example, on the Avalon. It feels almost literally like a plastic-covered piece of cardboard, and the flimsy latch only barely secures it from dropping back down on your passenger's knees. Also, the two small heated-seat ***** on the console are so loose they feel like they will break off every time you twist them. I'm not sure it this was done for cost-cutting or to keep the weight down on this relatively large car.

And while the GS is a bright spot, I personally think the previous GS had a more 'Lexus' aura to it that all new Lexus's lack today..
Agreed. The GS quality does seem to be a cut above its IS/ES brothers, perhaps because of the higher price.
Old 06-04-14, 07:39 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

some of these Q50 deals are a steal!!!!! (IMO)
Attached Thumbnails MM Full-Review: 2014 Infiniti Q50-capture.png  
Old 06-04-14, 08:44 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
some of these Q50 deals are a steal!!!!! (IMO)
Interesting... This particular model was a buy back, presumably for the DAS woes some has had. Given that this is a software issue (that has more or less been rectified) I'd say this car is a great deal.

Lease deals down here in S Fla. are pretty decent too...

Quick Reply: MM Full-Review: 2014 Infiniti Q50