Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Full-Review: 2014 Infiniti Q50

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-14, 10:38 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
Mike's review overall was pretty good and instead of complimenting him, you have some crazy issue with his opinion on a small matter which does not affect his bias or is review. So what if he thinks Infiniti biggest competitor is Lexus and quite frankly they probably are.
I already made my opinion known on this.

How on earth could this be an issue? Mike and I are having a conversation, he asked a question, I responded. Now what on earth does my GS 450h have to do with it? He merely complimented the LS, is that a problem?

How can him asking about my LS be a jab to the Q50?
Simple. Because he said "Granted, the Q50 is a nice car (though a little noisy in some ways for my tastes). But, compared to that superb LS F-Sport in your family, I don't see any comparison."

Who said that you or I or anyone else on this thread was comparing your LS F-Sport to a Q50? Of course there is no comparison, it doesn't need to be stated. They are not anywhere near the same class. I mentioned your 3rd Gen GS because it's another car in your stable that also does not "compare" to your LS that again, doesn't need to be stated. His comment was an unnecessary Jab at the Q50 in my opinion. But you can disagree if you'd like.

Last edited by Lex2InfiN; 05-29-14 at 10:43 PM.
Old 05-30-14, 04:55 AM
LexFather

Lol wut?

Name:  fyFMwXS.gif
Views: 6
Size:  573.5 KB

Old 05-30-14, 05:03 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Guys take this off-topic back and forth to pm and knock off the personal comments, chest beating and accusations please.
Old 05-30-14, 05:24 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 580 Likes on 399 Posts

Thanks for the review mmarshall. I'm not a big fan of the dual displays that Infiniti and Honda/Acura are moving forward with, but at least the graphics are still nicer than those found on Honda/Acura. Regards to the engine noise, I think it's appropriate in this application. Sure it's a luxury car, but it's still on the sportier side of things and people like to hear the engine.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 05-30-14 at 06:06 AM. Reason: check pm
Old 05-30-14, 06:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

but more seriously... i like the look of the q50's i see around, but not a fan of the dual display inside. other than that though, and a nice car, although rather small.
Yes, ever since the demise of the slow-selling and unsuccessful Q45, Infiniti has been hesitant about doing really big sedans here in the U.S. They have done essentially what Cadillac and Lincoln have done....made slightly-extended mid-size cars their flagships.
Old 05-30-14, 06:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Allen K
Thanks for the review mmarshall.
Glad you enjoyed it.

I'm not a big fan of the dual displays that Infiniti and Honda/Acura are moving forward with, but at least the graphics are still nicer than those found on Honda/Acura.
They all still take a lot of getting used to, though. But I've gotten to the point where I just don't b**ch about them as much as I used to. Easy to use or not, the automakers seem determined to keep them on new vehicles.

Regards to the engine noise, I think it's appropriate in this application. Sure it's a luxury car, but it's still on the sportier side of things and people like to hear the engine.

Actually, it's a rather quiet engine, though slightly audible at idle. What you hear on acceleration is mostly an exhaust note.
Old 05-30-14, 06:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lex2InfiN
His comment was an unnecessary Jab at the Q50 in my opinion. But you can disagree if you'd like.
Your opinion noted, sir, but, actually, it was not a jab. The Q50 is a nice car. The LS is a very nice car....but it also costs a lot more. That's why I said he was probably fortunate to have one.
Old 05-30-14, 06:28 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 580 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Glad you enjoyed it.

They all still take a lot of getting used to, though. But I've gotten to the point where I just don't b**ch about them as much as I used to. Easy to use or not, the automakers seem determined to keep them on new vehicles.

Actually, it's a rather quiet engine, though slightly audible at idle. What you hear on acceleration is mostly an exhaust note.
Engine, exhaust, any vroom vroom noise basically
Old 05-30-14, 10:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Allen K
Engine, exhaust, any vroom vroom noise basically
I still don't believe noise like that belongs in a car of the Q50's class...but, hey, that's just my opinion. It might (?) be a little more suitable in the Q50S (Sport) models.
Old 05-30-14, 01:27 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
OK, your comments noted and respected. But, either way, the point I was making was that it ended up being a more or less scaled-down version of the Lexus spindle-grille. I didn't accuse Infiniti of directly copying the Lexus spindle-grille....(that's not my place to say that, as we don't always know exactly what goes through the mind of designers when they do their work). And, of course, there have been so many different designs through the years that it is difficult, today, to do almost anything automotive without, in effect, copying someone, somewhere....I've posted on that issue, several times, in other CAR CHAT threads. But, even so, it is also no secret that Infiniti considers Lexus their primary competitor.

Thanks. I put a lot of time and effort into them. A typical one takes about eight to ten hours of research, exterior/interior inspections, test-driving, notes, writing, editing, and posting.
Well, usually you are very objective (to a positive fault), hence the very balanced review(s). I just read the word "copy" and wasn't sure what to think. I usually find myself having to go to bat for Asian automotive corporations so often against such accusations. Including TMC/Lexus on other sites. I pointed that out, as one wouldn't want such a negative possibility to come across as fact.

Aside from what wasn't so clear to me, everything else read so well-written and free of irrelevant commentary (compared to C&D, Auto Blog, etc.), that I eventually had "Aha" moment when I realized who the author was.

The thing is the consumer has taken MMarshall's view. Honestly they are quite different, the Infiniti grill is simply a pinched grill. The Lexus spindle is the entire front face including the lower air dam and flows into the hood line. I don't think either company meant to copy one another, it just happens that Lexus is more well known and has done a better job presenting it and Lexus did a heck of a lot of advertising for the new "face of Lexus".

Ironically, de Nysschen doesn't seem to like the looks of the Q50 or current models and thinks they are too curvy and wavy and the Q50 is the old way of thinks The new Q30 I believe will debut the new design language which will be more sharp and "latin" according to the latest news.

I've stated many times I think the Q50 is one of the best looking CARS (any price) on the road today with the Sport package. I think they really nailed proportions and the sculpted front end with the short front overhang and long fender to door ratio gives it a very aggressive look.
Interesting points you bring up. The general public will not remember the Essence Concept from Geneva 2009, which is unfortunate. In that case, the comparisons to the Lexus grille may not be so prevalent, since they aren't too similar as you said. Most of the commentary I've heard in person so far, doesn't refer to copying. It's usually applause or general complaints against the proliferation of larger grilles and aggressive fascias on new vehicles.

The Q30 won't necessarily be based on the new language by Alfonso Albaisa, but apparently in a "new" 2 door in 2016. The production Q30 has been finalized for about 15-18 months now, making the concept more of a preview. I'm not sure if I'll like the direction though, as some friends have been blessed to see more future Infinitis than I have and greatly approve of what they saw.

The Q50 for me, lost out on the fact it doesn't have a 6MT on the Sport anymore. The rear end comes across as a tad too bulbous, but otherwise I agree with your positive sentiments about it.

Originally Posted by hlee12
hyundai also tried this. development in 07, debuted in 09.

i'm sure they canned it because it was not pretty. i vomited when i saw it for the first time. lol ironically infiniti now has similar grill which i despise.
I don't believe Hyundai put that concept into development in 2007, considering when it arrived. Most concept show vehicles are not in development for that long, save for rare instances (LF-LC, FT1) at 18 months. Nothing points to the Nuvis entering development in 2007. I can understand that other show vehicle, IAA 07's I-Blue, entering development as early as late 2006/early 2007.

i'm totally not cp1. that's the guy from vortex, right? you are totally mistaken.

i could careless who started this awful grill. it's ugly. i hate it. i said it was developed in 07 and debuted in 09. i know this because i saw that nuvis crap in person.

and that holden looks nothing like the infiniti/nissan/nuvis grill.

this came out in 07.

you can see some similarity with that nuvis concept.

got the info here.
https://www.hyundaiusa.com/vehicles/...s-archive.aspx
Honestly, I must say that sometime in the early 2000s, automakers (design departments/design engineers) started trending towards moderately X-shaped fascias. This had the upper V shape grille shape essentially mirror the lower valance, which somewhat formed an X. The MY2005 Toyota Camry facelift designed in 2003, introduced such an example in mid-2004. The W221 S-Class AMG Sport, introduced a similar concept as well in 2005 (reg. W221 was finalised in 2002, AMG Sport in 2003).

The 2007 BMW E70 X5 designed in 2003-04, had some of that as well. The further blending of the lower valance grille and main grille (into one) in a recessed form across numerous brands (including Toyota), helped lead to what became the spindle grille. The 2008 LX570 shows (a vehicle designed in 2004-05) such an evolution. This design cue became more prominent with its 2010 refresh and obvious on the 2012 facelift, so I may consider it to be the first Lexus to wear a non-chromed spindle outline.

A lot of my research that I've done on this, seems to date back as far as the late '90s and is somewhat all over the place. I'd say that due to advances in sheet metal stamping, such design cues have naturally entered production. I cannot further comment on this, as my message is becoming so muddled, I would need to do more thorough research, and it's off-topic here. A new thread might be opened for this, regarding the evolution of front fascias and grilles.
Old 05-30-14, 01:32 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by cmk1
Well, usually you are very objective (to a positive fault), hence the very balanced review(s). I just read the word "copy" and wasn't sure what to think. I usually find myself having to go to bat for Asian automotive corporations so often against such accusations. Including TMC/Lexus on other sites. I pointed that out, as one wouldn't want such a negative possibility to come across as fact.

Aside from what wasn't so clear to me, everything else read so well-written and free of irrelevant commentary (compared to C&D, Auto Blog, etc.), that I eventually had "Aha" moment when I realized who the author was.

Interesting points you bring up. The general public will not remember the Essence Concept from Geneva 2009, which is unfortunate. In that case, the comparisons to the Lexus grille may not be so prevalent, since they aren't too similar as you said. Most of the commentary I've heard in person so far, doesn't refer to copying. It's usually applause or general complaints against the proliferation of larger grilles and aggressive fascias on new vehicles.

The Q30 won't necessarily be based on the new language by Alfonso Albaisa, but apparently in a "new" 2 door in 2016. The production Q30 has been finalized for about 15-18 months now, making the concept more of a preview. I'm not sure if I'll like the direction though, as some friends have been blessed to see more future Infinitis than I have and greatly approve of what they saw.

The Q50 for me, lost out on the fact it doesn't have a 6MT on the Sport anymore. The rear end comes across as a tad too bulbous, but otherwise I agree with your positive sentiments about it.

I don't believe Hyundai put that concept into development in 2007, considering when it arrived. Most concept show vehicles are not in development for that long, save for rare instances (LF-LC, FT1) at 18 months. Nothing points to the Nuvis entering development in 2007. I can understand that other show vehicle, IAA 07's I-Blue, entering development as early as late 2006/early 2007.

Honestly, I must say that sometime in the early 2000s, automakers (design departments/design engineers) started trending towards moderately X-shaped fascias. This had the upper V shape grille shape essentially mirror the lower valance, which somewhat formed an X. The MY2005 Toyota Camry facelift designed in 2003, introduced such an example in mid-2004. The W221 S-Class AMG Sport, introduced a similar concept as well in 2005 (reg. W221 was finalised in 2002, AMG Sport in 2003).

The 2007 BMW E70 X5 designed in 2003-04, had some of that as well. The further blending of the lower valance grille and main grille (into one) in a recessed form across numerous brands (including Toyota), helped lead to what became the spindle grille. The 2008 LX570 shows (a vehicle designed in 2004-05) such an evolution. This design cue became more prominent with its 2010 refresh and obvious on the 2012 facelift, so I may consider it to be the first Lexus to wear a non-chromed spindle outline.

A lot of my research that I've done on this, seems to date back as far as the late '90s and is somewhat all over the place. I'd say that due to advances in sheet metal stamping, such design cues have naturally entered production. I cannot further comment on this, as my message is becoming so muddled, I would need to do more thorough research, and it's off-topic here. A new thread might be opened for this, regarding the evolution of front fascias and grilles.
Bro this was a great read....

Old 05-30-14, 02:02 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

maybe the idea of hybrid blue drive was conceived in 07? not sure. anyway, if you look at the previous hed-5 in 08 or 07 veloster, they are share same design language. and only major difference is the pinched grill where they literally pinched it. maybe it was a last min 'bold move'?

regardless of who started, i think it's an awful way to look different.
Old 05-30-14, 04:06 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Bro this was a great read....
Thank you. Glad it thankfully came across clear and concise, as I had concerns some of it would turn into directionless rambling.

maybe the idea of hybrid blue drive was conceived in 07? not sure. anyway, if you look at the previous hed-5 in 08 or 07 veloster, they are share same design language. and only major difference is the pinched grill where they literally pinched it. maybe it was a last min 'bold move'?

regardless of who started, i think it's an awful way to look different.
Yes, sorry I forgot to add that Hyundai shifted to this design concept theme temporarily from 2006-07, somehow losing interest in it by 2009. I'd say some those cues appeared in the YF Sonata (2007 design work), but no other Hyundais and some of the rest were more of a curvy trapezoidal shape.
Old 05-30-14, 05:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

And I had no idea that the use of that one word would open up Pandora's box and cause so many heated comments from both sides. I'll reconsider how (or if) I use it again in future reviews.

Thanks.

I'd say that Jeremy Clarkson is probably the King of the one-liners when it comes to auto reviews, though many view what he does as entertainment more than serious auto review.

You mention C&D, BTW. From what I've seen over the years, they have had people writing for them that run the full gamut from brilliant to downright moronic.....with just about everything in between. Autoblog does some pretty good reviews, though. Hoovey2411 posts many of them right here in CAR CHAT, and they draw a lot of response..

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-30-14 at 05:58 PM.
Old 06-02-14, 12:36 PM
carbuyer
Driver School Candidate

Great review -- I'm curious as to anyone's' impression of the "Infiniti InTouch" apps? I visited a dealer today and it seemed like it takes an eternity (45 seconds) for the whole system to boot up. It's like cold booting an iPhone. Maybe I'm too impatient but I would find it really hard to wait that long when i want to go in the morning. And until that happens, you can't operate the radio, phone, etc.

Quick Reply: MM Full-Review: 2014 Infiniti Q50