Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Full-Review: 2014 Infiniti Q50

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-14, 06:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I'm not big on red but I really like that one.
Nice wheels too.
You probably would have liked the gray one at the dealership I saw outfitted with the big Vossens.
Old 05-28-14, 04:58 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice review.

The Q50 is awesome. We don't get the 3.7L V6, instead for base model we get a Mercedes sourced 2.2L Diesel which is rubbish.

But the Hybrid Q50 is good value for money here
Old 05-28-14, 06:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by yowps3
Nice review.
Thanks.

The Q50 is awesome. We don't get the 3.7L V6, instead for base model we get a Mercedes sourced 2.2L Diesel which is rubbish.
Why don't you get the 3.7L? Emissions/MPG rules in your country? Some countries, of course, tax larger engines.

But the Hybrid Q50 is good value for money here
It's not cheap, but, true, it doesn't cost as much as some of its competitors.
Old 05-28-14, 06:20 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

i find this adequate, but can't ever see myself taking this over germans or IS. design looks off to me. i hate that weird curvy hoffmeister kink. i hate it on all infiniti. and grill just looks weird. hate that pinched look. i always loved infiniti's interior, but it kinda reminds me of last gen sonata's. rear still look bulbous in some angle.

i'm jut not a fan. and when i first heard it i thought this was the new Q, like main flagship Q. it's definitely confusing.
Old 05-28-14, 06:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by hlee12
i find this adequate, but can't ever see myself taking this over germans or IS. design looks off to me. I hate that weird curvy hoffmeister kink. I hate it on all infiniti. and grill just looks weird. hate that pinched look. i always loved infiniti's interior, but it kinda reminds me of last gen sonata's. rear still look bulbous in some angle.
That grille is (more or less) a toned-down version of the big spindle-grilles found on newer Lexus products. I suspect (but can't prove) that is is because Infiniti considers Lexus its closest competitor.

i'm jut not a fan. and when i first heard it i thought this was the new Q, like main flagship Q. it's definitely confusing.
I agree it's confusing, but I hope this will make it a little simpler for you. Q is for newer sedans/coupes/convertibles, though the G-sedan series also remains at least for now. QX is for SUVs.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-28-14 at 06:30 PM.
Old 05-28-14, 06:51 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

i find this adequate, but can't ever see myself taking this over germans or IS. design looks off to me. i hate that weird curvy hoffmeister kink. i hate it on all infiniti. and grill just looks weird. hate that pinched look. i always loved infiniti's interior, but it kinda reminds me of last gen sonata's. rear still look bulbous in some angle.
Funny, I feel the exact same way about the new IS. As much as I would like to like it, I just find it to be an ugly car, especially in lighter colors (sorry guys). I think the Q50 is much much better looking. I feel both interiors are nice in their own way, but I just do not like the Lexus spindle grille at all. And the rear of the IS makes the car look chubby and strange. I much prefer the simpler lines of the previous generation. I do think though that overall the 3 Series looks best in this class.

Every new Infiniti car starts with the letter Q
Every new Infiniti SUV starts with the letters QX

Still confused?
Old 05-28-14, 07:13 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Wink

Originally Posted by Lex2InfiN
Funny, I feel the exact same way about the new IS. As much as I would like to like it, I just find it to be an ugly car, especially in lighter colors (sorry guys). I think the Q50 is much much better looking. I feel both interiors are nice in their own way, but I just do not like the Lexus spindle grille at all. And the rear of the IS makes the car look chubby and strange. I much prefer the simpler lines of the previous generation. I do think though that overall the 3 Series looks best in this class.

Every new Infiniti car starts with the letter Q
Every new Infiniti SUV starts with the letters QX

Still confused?

spindle grill is definitely love/hate. i happen to love most of it especially on the IS. but inifini's grill just looks half-assed. it's not bold. it's not unique. it's like they were trying something, but were afraid to push it. just not a fan.

i guess when you put it that way it's not confusing. but they still have G. and Q50 just sounds like it's a new q45. 50 sounds like it should have 5.0. lol
Old 05-28-14, 08:01 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks.

Why don't you get the 3.7L? Emissions/MPG rules in your country? Some countries, of course, tax larger engines.

It's not cheap, but, true, it doesn't cost as much as some of its competitors.
We don't get the 3.7L because it's not suitable for a base engine. Where you have the competitors with around 150-180HP for their base models lol

The 3.7L is offered in the Q60 (G37) & the 370z

Nothing to do with taxes or regulations

Last edited by yowps3; 05-29-14 at 12:42 AM.
Old 05-29-14, 12:13 AM
hlee12
Lead Lap

That grille is (more or less) a toned-down version of the big spindle-grilles found on newer Lexus products. I suspect (but can't prove) that is is because Infiniti considers Lexus its closest competitor.

I agree it's confusing, but I hope this will make it a little simpler for you. Q is for newer sedans/coupes/convertibles, though the G-sedan series also remains at least for now. QX is for SUVs.
yeah, definitely looks similar

lexus went all in. infiniti didn't. i just think infiniti lacks character. much like acura, their design just don't stand out IMO.
Old 05-29-14, 12:45 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Also I agree about the sheet metal and the door thud of the Q50. Myself I thought the G37 had thicker sheet metal and a heftier door. I felt the q50 doors were far too light and the overall sheet metal on the thinner side.

But yeah the interior is quality.
Old 05-29-14, 10:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by yowps3
Also I agree about the sheet metal and the door thud of the Q50. Myself I thought the G37 had thicker sheet metal and a heftier door. I felt the q50 doors were far too light and the overall sheet metal on the thinner side.
Though there are a few exceptions, many vehicles today are using thinner, lighter sheet metal, both for weight and cost-cutting issues.
Old 05-29-14, 01:20 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

By CL Member Request, a Review of the 2014 Infiniti Q50

http://www.infinitiusa.com/sedan/q50

http://www.infinitiusa.com/sedan/q50-hybrid

IN A NUTSHELL: Well-built and with good fit/finish, but the marketing is needlessly complex.

CLOSEST AMERICAN-MARKET COMPETITORS: Lexus IS350, Cadillac CTS, Audi A4, BMW 335, Mercedes C300,
(The Jaguar XF 3.0 roughly competes in specs, but is in a higher price-range)

;

(Non-Hybrid trunk with floor protector)

(Hybrid trunk)

EXTERIOR:

The basic Q50 body-style is fairly typical of newer Infiniti products, and it is relatively easy to recognize it as a member of the Infiniti sedan family. Though slightly different from its sister G-series, it looks quite a bit like a scaled-down Q70. Up front, like on the QX60 SUV, is a somewhat smaller, scaled-down version of the Lexus spindle-grille....Yes, I'd probably call it a copy, since Infiniti considers Lexus, not Acura, to be its closest target competitor. The body sheet metal is a little on the thin side, yet seems to be of sufficient solidness that it won't necessarily buckle very time an acorn drops off an oak tree. (but, trust me.......don't put it past some of those acorns). The four doors shut with a precise and reasonably solid sound/feel....but you can tell that they aren't bank vaults. I was VERY impressed with the paint jobs, even though, like with many luxury/upmarket cars, I found most of the seven shades offered a little on the dull side. But, nevertheless, even though the paint jobs didn't shine as intensely as, say, on an Audi or Lexus, the mirror-smooth metallic-effect they have is excellent, and really gives it a quality look and feel. Too bad the bean-counters decided to leave off side-mouldings that would have helped protect that nice paint job in parking lots. The new side moor housings were mounted in a manner that don't give them quite as solid or slick a feel as on previous Infiniti products when swiveling/snap-locking, and the housings have rather thin-feeling plastic. But nice integrated turn-signals are included in both housings. Tap the horn (as with the fob-button locking on the doors), and it will assault the ears loud enough to bring Zombies back to life. This horn might get you a ticket in noise-sensitive areas.

So there you have it. And, as always......Happy car-shopping.

MM
Mmarshall, I take issue with a few comments you made here. The Infiniti grille is not a copy of the Lexus spindle grille, which both date back to 2008 developmentally. The Essence concept was designed during the second half of that year and the Lexus CT200h basic design was on paper as well.

Original proposals for what was to be the V37 G saloon, were finalized in 2009 and were scheduled for presentation in April 2011 at the 2011 NYIAS. Due to some cancellations and delays in April 2010 related to Daimler AG, design work of the proposed V37 was redone concerning possible datedness and finalized in June of 2011. That became the Q50 after de Nysschen joined Infiniti in July 2012. The LF-Gh concept (developed from 2010) premiered 2 months earlier at the NYIAS. The L10 GS design was approved ahead of that in 2009.

The JX35 itself, was mostly a 2009 design effort, unveiled in August 2011, and launched in April 2012. Earlier, the 2011 facelift for the FX introduced the new grille. Infiniti generally approves facelift work some 16-18 months before scheduled start of production, so that would point to early-mid 2010. I do not believe it is fair to accuse companies of copying competitors, when development work takes quite a bit of time to execute from concept to showroom launch.

Other than that, a very excellent, objective, and thorough review.
Old 05-29-14, 01:32 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Excellent review, as always. Interesting comment about the exhaust. When I drove the Q I was disappointed at how much quieter the exhaust note was in comparison to the G. Different strikes for different folks.
Old 05-29-14, 06:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by yardie876
Excellent review, as always.
Thanks.

Interesting comment about the exhaust. When I drove the Q I was disappointed at how much quieter the exhaust note was in comparison to the G. Different strikes for different folks.
The exhaust was not as loud as, say, in a typical Mustang GT or a Mazda Miata. But it was quite noticeable for a so-called "luxury" vehicle of this class. Vehicles in this class are usually supposed to dampen noise, not flout it.
Old 05-29-14, 06:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by cmk1
Mmarshall, I take issue with a few comments you made here. The Infiniti grille is not a copy of the Lexus spindle grille, which both date back to 2008 developmentally. The Essence concept was designed during the second half of that year and the Lexus CT200h basic design was on paper as well.
OK, your comments noted and respected. But, either way, the point I was making was that it ended up being a more or less scaled-down version of the Lexus spindle-grille. I didn't accuse Infiniti of directly copying the Lexus spindle-grille....(that's not my place to say that, as we don't always know exactly what goes through the mind of designers when they do their work). And, of course, there have been so many different designs through the years that it is difficult, today, to do almost anything automotive without, in effect, copying someone, somewhere....I've posted on that issue, several times, in other CAR CHAT threads. But, even so, it is also no secret that Infiniti considers Lexus their primary competitor.

Other than that, a very excellent, objective, and thorough review.
Thanks. I put a lot of time and effort into them. A typical one takes about eight to ten hours of research, exterior/interior inspections, test-driving, notes, writing, editing, and posting.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-29-14 at 06:59 PM.

Quick Reply: MM Full-Review: 2014 Infiniti Q50