Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Full-Review: 2014 Infiniti Q50

Old 05-27-14, 08:29 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

nice review as usual Mike -- btw, I know run flats are more pricey to replace (really they're not super high priced anymore) but you'd be much happier with them versus if it was pouring down rain and had a flat tire (like I did yesterday!!!!) and had to change a tire.

also, Lexfather mentioned electronics issues -- there's been quite a few known issues with the infotainment systems in the Q50's, that's why he brought it up.

start of MT Q50S long term test

Last edited by bagwell; 05-27-14 at 08:33 AM.
Old 05-27-14, 09:14 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
... IMO, auto companies are simply profiteering when they charge extra not only for a temporary spare, but for the fact that they should be giving us a real tire when they don't. My Lexus IS300, for instance, had a real spare....AND a real factory wheel to go with it. It could be rotated with the other four and no one would know the difference.
the auto companies are ultra sensitive about WEIGHT and mpg/EPA/Cafe implications. if run flats weren't as awful as they are, i expect all car companies would have switched to them for most all models. anyway THAT's why they no longer include full spares on most models, it's not a matter of cost or 'profiteering'. for those that still want one, they're going to charge of course, and $200 is certainly not unreasonable.

oh and great review as usual, thank you!
Old 05-27-14, 09:21 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the auto companies are ultra sensitive about WEIGHT and mpg/EPA/Cafe implications. if run flats weren't as awful as they are, i expect all car companies would have switched to them for most all models. anyway THAT's why they no longer include full spares on most models, it's not a matter of cost or 'profiteering'. for those that still want one, they're going to charge of course, and $200 is certainly not unreasonable.

What is so awful abour run flat tires? I had them on two cars and they are absolutely awesome. They add a lot to safety, and virtually pothole damage proof, and if you're running from the cops you can drive over spikes and continue driving.

Expensive price is the only problem with run flats.
Old 05-27-14, 09:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
nice review as usual Mike
Thanks. I might (?) go back later and briefly sample a non-hybrid with Direct Active steering if they become available.

-- btw, I know run flats are more pricey to replace (really they're not super high priced anymore) but you'd be much happier with them versus if it was pouring down rain and had a flat tire (like I did yesterday!!!!) and had to change a tire.
I'm not sure I would be happier. In addition to being expensive to replace, their ultra-stiff sidewalls, which allow them to support the weight of the car without air, tend to ride like s***.

also, Lexfather mentioned electronics issues -- there's been quite a few known issues with the infotainment systems in the Q50's, that's why he brought it up.
OK. Makes sense. I probably didn't have mine long enough for any real electronics problems to develop.
Old 05-27-14, 09:53 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
What is so awful abour run flat tires? I had them on two cars and they are absolutely awesome. They add a lot to safety, and virtually pothole damage proof, and if you're running from the cops you can drive over spikes and continue driving.

Expensive price is the only problem with run flats.
its quite common to trash talk runflats - when the people that actually have them like them....and no they're not double the price of regular tires either -- read the reviews for the Michelin Pilot A/S Plus ZP

I'm not sure I would be happier. In addition to being expensive to replace, their ultra-stiff sidewalls, which allow them to support the weight of the car without air, tend to ride like s***.
....similar to a high performance summer tire...

and yes, there are some crappy runflats out there, just like regular pressurized tires has some crappy models too. C5/6 guys always swapped out the Goodyear "runcraps" for something else.

Last edited by bagwell; 05-27-14 at 10:18 AM.
Old 05-27-14, 10:01 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Thanks, bit.

I respect your opinion on the run-flat tires, but don't totally agree with it. Auto companies are dropping or charging extra for a number of things now that used to be standard at no extra charge, like cigarette lighters, ash trays, body-side protective moldings, two-tone paint, and, of course, real spare tires and wheels. Subaru used to include a standard NOAA weather-frequency radio, two-tone paint packages, white-letter tires, and effective limited-slip differentials. Now virtually all of those things are gone. Like it or not.....it's all in the name of the bottom line.

Sometimes, though, enough b**ching from car owners will make a difference. I'm slowly starting to see side-moldings come back again now, optional/accessory in some cases, but even standard now on a few vehicles.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-27-14 at 10:05 AM.
Old 05-27-14, 10:01 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Nice review,Mike.
Looking forward to your MKC and A3 reviews.
Old 05-27-14, 10:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

....similar to a high performance summer tire...
Regular summer performance tires, though, don't have to support the weight an entire car without air. They usually run at a recommended 35 PSI or so.
Old 05-27-14, 10:11 AM
LexFather

Mike, whether its two hundred dollars or two cents (pun intended), the point I was trying to make is that, IMO, auto companies are simply profiteering when they charge extra not only for a temporary spare, but for the fact that they should be giving us a real tire when they don't. My Lexus IS300, for instance, had a real spare....AND a real factory wheel to go with it. It could be rotated with the other four and no one would know the difference.

In what way? I'm not sure I follow you here. I didn't find any electrical problems with the sample I drove, although I find almost all of today's center-dash screens more complex than I'd prefer.

If you think my test-drives are just quick trips around the block, think again. I would not even bother to try and write an ON THE ROAD review if all I did was press the gas/brake pedal and twist the steering wheel a couple of times.

BTW, on a different subject, if my memory is right, weren't you once (or are?) a representative for Vossen wheels? One of the Q50s I looked at on the lot had been retrofitted with big Vossens. I didn't measure them, but they looked somewhere between 20-22". ( I thought of you when I saw them). They had big rubber-band low-profile rubber on them, so I passed them up for a test-drive, figuring that it would be quite a bit different from standard factory-fare, which the review-request seemed to want. But there was no mistaking those big Vossens as aftermarkets....they stuck out like sore thumbs even several hundred get away. In fact, somebody who really wanted that package might (?) have been able to get a good deal on it, since the dealership had not attached a second-sticker reflecting the added price of that package like they usually do.
The Infiniti has run flats which defeats the purpose of having a spare tire. Things have changed and a full size spare is a rarity. Also with many companies offering roadside assistance, not to mention AAA, insurance coverage etc, a full size spare is simply a thing of the past.

Bagwell got what I was stating in regards to electronics. They are working on fixes but there are still a ton of bugs.

To you 20" wheels stick out like sore thumbs but many in the market love it which is why the dealer you went to is offering it . We worked with RS-R exclusively and even Air suspension companies which have provided the Q50 with aftermarket suspensions. We also work with Stillen one of the highest respected Nissan tuners and they have come out with some pretty awesome products for the Q50. While the target buyer did change there are still those that want to modify their Q50. As companies we are still evaluating results and feedback.

In my extensive driving, I much prefer the drive, ride and handling with Vossen Wheels with a non-run flat tire compared to the smaller 19s with a run flat tire. The run flats were like driving on ice, I still am not a fan. Changing to non-run flats made a huge difference. I think reviews would have been better just if they changed tires.

With RSR and 20" Staggered wheels

With Air Suspension and 20" Staggered wheels

Not dropped in the red color many like

Thanks for the review!

Old 05-27-14, 10:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Nice review,Mike.
Looking forward to your MKC and A3 reviews.
Yes, I'm looking forward to the MKC review myself. Although I wasn't impressed at all with its slightly bigger brother MKX (see my recent MKX review) , the MKC, at least on the surface, appears to be a much nicer product. I was very impressed with the one at the D.C. Auto Show last January and its beautiful Amythist dark-purple (Tahitan Pearl) paint job, but it was up on a turntable where I only got a very limited view of it. According to the reps at the show, Lincoln was supposed to release it on April 30, but I don't see any of them yet at local Lincoln shops here.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-27-14 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-27-14, 10:19 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

I prefer it in this red...

Old 05-27-14, 10:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexFather
The Infiniti has run flats which defeats the purpose of having a spare tire. Things have changed and a full size spare is a rarity. Also with many companies offering roadside assistance, not to mention AAA, insurance coverage etc, a full size spare is simply a thing of the past.
Some of the Q50s have standard run-flats, and some don't. The marketing for this car is very complex.

To you 20" wheels stick out like sore thumbs but many in the market love it which is why the dealer you went to is offering it .
Yes, I'm aware of that. I know that my opinions are not the only ones on the planet. Nor, of course, should they be.

We worked with RS-R exclusively and even Air suspension companies which have provided the Q50 with aftermarket suspensions. We also work with Stillen one of the highest respected Nissan tuners and they have come out with some pretty awesome products for the Q50. While the target buyer did change there are still those that want to modify their Q50. As companies we are still evaluating results and feedback.

In my extensive driving, I much prefer the drive, ride and handling with Vossen Wheels with a non-run flat tire compared to the smaller 19s with a run flat tire. The run flats were like driving on ice, I still am not a fan. Changing to non-run flats made a huge difference. I think reviews would have been better just if they changed tires.
OK. I remembered your name associated with Vossen, but didn't know the details.

Thanks for the review!
Anytime. I'll have a real treat for you before long (assuming you haven't already driven it yourself).................the Chevy SS.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-27-14 at 10:37 AM.
Old 05-27-14, 11:01 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

That's the color I was talking about. One of the best reds on the market right now, really makes the car stand out in a good way.
Old 05-27-14, 02:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
That's the color I was talking about. One of the best reds on the market right now, really makes the car stand out in a good way.
You're probably not old enough to remember it, but that color was also very popular back in the 1950s with customized cars. It was called Candy Apple Red.
Old 05-27-14, 03:19 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm not big on red but I really like that one.
Nice wheels too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MM Full-Review: 2014 Infiniti Q50