Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Just bought a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-14, 11:56 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SW13GS
The Summit is the top package. The Summit gets you special front and rear facias, different wheels and fender trim, better leather (some of the best leather I've seen in ANY car on the Summit), alcantara headliner, harmon kardon audio. About $3k more than my Overland.

Mines a 4WD V6
What about the LIMITED version?

I did test drive a 3.0 V6 DIESEL LIMITED (MY2014 model) and it's nice. Pricing is cheaper than a VW Touareg........and seems to have more features than our local market Touareg Diesel.
Old 05-26-14, 01:09 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Congrats! The Grand Cherokee is simply a wonderful vehicle.

Originally Posted by RXSF
what a great deal! Didn't realize they were discounting that much. This doesn't have the new 9 speed though right?
9-speed is for the FWD (but AWD capable) platforms. The Grand Cherokee uses the 8-speed.
Old 05-26-14, 07:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by AJL0365
I work for a Jeep Dealership so if you have any questons and would like the honest answer, Im your guy.

When the JGC first came out for MY14, They were all nightmares, tons of electricial issues and air suspension issues. The diesel versions are even worse. Cannot ever get parts for them when the componets for the diesel engine screwed up.
Thanks! Yeah I post on a Jeep forum so I saw firsthand the issues when the 2014 came out. A huge mess...they do seem better now...and I will keep my fingers crossed...

Originally Posted by Blackraven
What about the LIMITED version?

I did test drive a 3.0 V6 DIESEL LIMITED (MY2014 model) and it's nice. Pricing is cheaper than a VW Touareg........and seems to have more features than our local market Touareg Diesel.
The Limited fits in underneath the Overland. It goes Laredo, Limited, Overland, Summit, SRT.

The Limited is also very nice, and actually can be had with all the equipment of my Overland including the air suspension, adaptive cruise, etc. But the Overland has some other luxury touches, body colored trim, better seats and leather, leather dash and doors, wood/leather wheel. The Limited felt a lot like the 2011 Laredo X I had, so the Overland is a nice upgrade.

Just drove 65 miles each way to my cousin's in WV for a cookout today, really enjoyed the drive in the Jeep and of course showing it off to the family. Its funny because they aren't luxury car people...the Lexus doesn't do much for them but they LOVE this Jeep.

Its a fabulous highway cruiser, rides great, very quiet and stable at 80+ MPH, plenty of power, and the tech package with the adaptive cruise is incredible. I'll be cruising into the back of people now driving the Lexus after being used to that LOL.

Like the vehicle a lot. Drove the Lexus this morning, and man I still really love that too. I'm pretty happy with my vehicle situation at current!
Old 05-26-14, 08:04 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Yup! The interior color sounds hideous when you describe it, "blue and brown with white stitching and piping" but in reality its very nice, unique without being over the top.
Sounds hideous but in real life it is far from that. Gorgeous
Old 05-26-14, 08:10 PM
LexFather

Great great pickup! Congrats!

Old 05-26-14, 08:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks guys!
Old 07-15-14, 03:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Just a quick update. I'm 1.5 months and 3,600 miles in

Jeep is running great. Going to put it in next week to have a couple recalls/TSBs done. An adjustment to the radar cruise control software, some other small recall, a TSB for the front axles (that ones pretty bad, I dont have the issue but a lot of people have had the CV boots fail on brand new Jeeps and the axles have slewn grease all over the inside of the wheels and undercarriage. Apparently a batch of axles had improperly applied clamps on the boots that slip off. Mine is in the VIN range so they're going to replace both axles even though I don't have any issues). Passenger door latch also needs an adjustment because it doesn't always close all the way the first time.

Just got back from having it at the beach for a week. 3 people and the dog and all our gear, needless to say we were pretty packed up...but the Jeep performed great, could use a little more cargo space but all in all its a great trip car. I hate to give it back to my wife tomorrow and go to work in the GS

Here's a pic of the back loaded up, and a pic of the dog in her nook. She likes the Jeep too
Attached Thumbnails Just bought a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland-cargo.jpg   Just bought a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland-dog.jpg  

Last edited by SW17LS; 07-15-14 at 03:35 PM.
Old 07-15-14, 03:19 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Thanks for the update. Cute pup!

Yikes, seems like a number of issues with the new Jeep. At least everything is covered by warranty.
Old 07-15-14, 03:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Yikes, seems like a number of issues with the new Jeep. At least everything is covered by warranty.
My issues classify as "not many problems" as a Jeep owner LOL. Takes a little "expectation adjustment" coming from Lexus ownership...but its a great vehicle.
Old 07-15-14, 05:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

(they're going to replace both axles even though I don't have any issues).
Thanks for the update. If they are going to replace both front half-shafts, depending on the exact design of the front suspension, that involves a fair amount of work and disassembling, and it might (?) affect wheel alignment (service departments often say it doesn't affect it when it does). Make sure, if applicable, that they do a re-alignment check as part of the deal....that should be covered under the warranty or the free first-year adjustments most manufacturers give.

Here's a pic of the back loaded up, and a pic of the dog in her nook. She likes the Jeep too
If she's like a lot of other dogs, she'll like to ride like this, with her head sticking out the window:

Old 07-15-14, 06:34 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Not surprised at the TSB's and whatnot, it is a Jeep. For the record, I am in love with that blue/brown interior.
Old 07-15-14, 06:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

My issues classify as "not many problems" as a Jeep owner LOL. Takes a little "expectation adjustment" coming from Lexus ownership...but its a great vehicle.
Since you are in MD (I'm not far away in NoVA), you know the kind of winter we had from December all the way trough the end of March, into early April. If we have a repeat of that again this year (or anything even close to it), you are going to appreciate having that JGC.
Old 07-15-14, 07:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Make sure, if applicable, that they do a re-alignment check as part of the deal....that should be covered under the warranty or the free first-year adjustments most manufacturers give.
Yep, they're going to do an alignment too as part of the TSB.

If she's like a lot of other dogs, she'll like to ride like this, with her head sticking out the window
She's a funny dog, she doesn't like a lot of "dog things" haha.

Since you are in MD (I'm not far away in NoVA), you know the kind of winter we had from December all the way trough the end of March, into early April. If we have a repeat of that again this year (or anything even close to it), you are going to appreciate having that JGC.
Last year I finally got my money's worth out of the 2011! It didn't snow either of the other winters I had the thing!

Originally Posted by TangoRed
For the record, I am in love with that blue/brown interior.
I love it too, very unique.
Old 07-16-14, 12:33 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Does this car have 3rd row seating?

I just happen to gaze at the new Highlander at Toyota while we were shipping the Sienna and loved the new facelift! I like SUV's with second row captain's chairs so there is a walk way into the 3rd row.

What I did not like was the sticker shock of what these costs! For that money I might as well buy my used QX56
Old 07-16-14, 12:46 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by s4play
Does this car have 3rd row seating?

I just happen to gaze at the new Highlander at Toyota while we were shipping the Sienna and loved the new facelift! I like SUV's with second row captain's chairs so there is a walk way into the 3rd row.

What I did not like was the sticker shock of what these costs! For that money I might as well buy my used QX56
Grand Cherokee's do not have 3rd row seating. The Durango, similar platform, does. And the forth coming Grand Wagoneer will.

Quick Reply: Just bought a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland