Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2015 Infiniti QX50 and QX70 Changes

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-14, 08:34 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
Can we please stop hyping this myth that the V-8 is dead when the data shows otherwise? They are not completely going away. Sales are dropping slightly for the V-8, it is not some mass exodus of V-8 sales. That is the REALITY of the situation.
I didn't mean for it to sound like that, just saying its certainly not more than ever.

Originally Posted by Och
I don't think there's a single case where a relevant car lost V8 option as a result of government dictating. In fact, I can barely think of any car that lost V8 option except the GS and now FX - but that's because they simply couldn't move them in any significant numbers. Other than that, V8s are only getting bigger and badder than ever, with forced induction, DI, etc.

Anyone claiming extinction of V8's needs to drive something from BMW or MB with one of their TT V8s. I don't see those going anywhere anytime soon, only further improve.
It's not a result of gov't dictating per se...but I think of Mercedes phasing out the E550 (confirmed) and possibly the ML550 in the future, for example.
Old 05-26-14, 10:12 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,365 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I don't think there's a single case where a relevant car lost V8 option as a result of government dictating. In fact, I can barely think of any car that lost V8 option except the GS and now FX - but that's because they simply couldn't move them in any significant numbers. Other than that, V8s are only getting bigger and badder than ever, with forced induction, DI, etc.

Anyone claiming extinction of V8's needs to drive something from BMW or MB with one of their TT V8s. I don't see those going anywhere anytime soon, only further improve.
v8's are still available, we get it, and they have to be getting better, because there has to be a reason for someone to spend a huge difference in price and less fuel economy. so that's not the point.

but what is the point, and cannot be disputed, is that car companies cannot make it compelling for large numbers of people to buy v8's (vs 4's, 6's) because it will HURT THEM with the increasingly demanding cafe.

sure cars like v8 mustangs and challengers are still available, but that's easy for them because the numbers are so TINY as far as impact to their overall cafe number.

but if you want to see the big shift on v8's, you've only got to look at the best selling vehicle in america, the f-150. i expect the majority sold are now v6's, which is directly because of cafe - ford's spent billions making their v6 'good enough' for truck owners so that it will help ford's overall cafe number improve (because they have no choice or pay massive fines).

anyone who thinks a v6 f-150 is better or the same as a v8 f-150 is delusional due to cost of vehicle and forced improvement of the v6, less and less people will enjoy the v8. but yes, your point that it's still available and that v8's continue to improve is obviously true.

so vehicle companies work to encourage people to accept and buy vehicles with smaller engines, fewer cylinders, screaming turbos, heavy cargo-restricting batteries, annoying start/stop features, etc.
Old 05-26-14, 01:22 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
v8's are still available, we get it, and they have to be getting better, because there has to be a reason for someone to spend a huge difference in price and less fuel economy. so that's not the point.

but what is the point, and cannot be disputed, is that car companies cannot make it compelling for large numbers of people to buy v8's (vs 4's, 6's) because it will HURT THEM with the increasingly demanding cafe.

sure cars like v8 mustangs and challengers are still available, but that's easy for them because the numbers are so TINY as far as impact to their overall cafe number.

but if you want to see the big shift on v8's, you've only got to look at the best selling vehicle in america, the f-150. i expect the majority sold are now v6's, which is directly because of cafe - ford's spent billions making their v6 'good enough' for truck owners so that it will help ford's overall cafe number improve (because they have no choice or pay massive fines).

anyone who thinks a v6 f-150 is better or the same as a v8 f-150 is delusional due to cost of vehicle and forced improvement of the v6, less and less people will enjoy the v8. but yes, your point that it's still available and that v8's continue to improve is obviously true.

so vehicle companies work to encourage people to accept and buy vehicles with smaller engines, fewer cylinders, screaming turbos, heavy cargo-restricting batteries, annoying start/stop features, etc.

See, I don't know if thats true in the case of F150. Most people buy these trucks for work, in fact a lot of them are purchased by companies and driven by employees. I don't think it matters for them what kind of engine it has, as long as its reliable and gets the job done. Hillbillies downsouth can still purchase a V8 version if they wish to do so.
Old 05-26-14, 04:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
Can we please stop hyping this myth that the V-8 is dead when the data shows otherwise? They are not completely going away. Sales are dropping slightly for the V-8, it is not some mass exodus of V-8 sales. That is the REALITY of the situation.
Come on, Mike, read my posts. Where did I say that the V8 was dead? ...nowhere. I said that while, because of Government edicts, it is definitely being cut back and (generally) on the way out, exceptions would probably be made for heavier-duty trucks/SUVs and high-performance cars.