Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

yps3: Full review of the 2015. Volkswagen Golf R

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-14, 07:20 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default yps3: Full review of the 2015. Volkswagen Golf R

Recently I had the opportunity to test out the new Volkswagen Golf R and let me say this car is nothing short of brilliance. And it really epitomises the term "German engineering"

If there is one thing we can say about the German way is that they're able to combine comfort, performance, economy etc in a beautiful package and nothing signifies these traits better than the Volkswagen Golf, particular the key Golf R.

So let's start;

DESIGN

The Golf R that I had for the test was the deep sea blue colour and let me just say that this colour looks spectacular, it truly has depth and the sheet metal the paint is applied on is the typical solid and substantial German one. The Golf R has an understating muscle look. It looks elegant but the beautiful quad exhaust tips and those eye watering 19" wheels are simply lovely. And they show that the Golf R means business.

INTERIOR

Ahh yes the interior. Open those solid doors and your greeted to a very uniform interior. To be honest nothing about the interior is flashy or 'gimmicky' for that case, but the interior is solid and material quality is top notch. Brushed metal, high quality soft touch plastics and everything in general has a substantial feel to it. The door pockets for example are very well padded, the doors are bank vault solid. Nothing rattles or squeaks and every single switch gear and button has an extremely high quality precision feel to it that we've come to expect from a German car. When you shut the door you literally feel like you're breaking the vacuum seals for the first time, everytime, it really is that great.

PERFORMANCE

Let me just say one thing and that's WOOOOOOOOOOOW!!!! The sheer force of forward thrust is just intense. It literally shoves you into your seat like crazy. The 2.0L port & direct injected engine is buttery smooth. There is absolutely none of that thrashy Honda VTEC feeling about it. The car feels like it can take and take more and more, you give it throttle and it goes fast without any hesitation, mayhem or ruckus. The engine noise is as minimal as it can get, so what VW has done is a nice but subtle exhausts burble. It's no V8 noise but it sounds nice without sounding overkill like some other 'sport vehicles'

The 6-speed DSG is magical. The shifts are so friggin quick that I couldn't believe what I was experiencing. Quick and smooth too. Just a nice popping noise each time it shifts when under WOT.

Handling has always been a thing of wonder with the Golf. It seems these days only the Germans can make a car that can handle so incredibly flat yet be so comfortable as a daily run about or long trip cruiser.

Fuel economy was amazing. Powerful 4-cyl cars are nothing new, but they've always had one big issue and that issue is excessive drinking. This is hard to believe but the Golf R returned 8.9L/100km at the end of my run which is crazy good for the type of driving I was doing!

In conclusion the Golf R continues its long standing position as the king of hot hatches and dare I say that Volkswagen has further upped the ante as this new Golf R is simply nothing short of extraordinary.

Last edited by yowps3; 05-22-14 at 07:59 AM.
Old 05-22-14, 07:25 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

oh we all know it's a great car.....I'm just concerned about the $$$$$$$$$$
Old 05-22-14, 08:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Thanks for the write-up. The Golf R and GTI have always been favorites of enthusiasts and the auto press.
Old 05-22-14, 09:13 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I already bought STI...too bad VW, you are moving too freaking slow, and Subaru is more reliable than any VW. I only regret a little bit with the Hatch =X . I think subaru will come out with it together with new engine in the mid cycle

Last edited by Whitigir; 05-22-14 at 09:35 AM.
Old 05-22-14, 09:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Whitigir
I already bought STI...too bad VW, you are moving too freaking slow, and Subaru is more reliable than any VW. I only regret a little bit with the Hatch =X . I think subaru will come out with it together with new engine in the mid cycle
Two things. First of all, the VW/Audi 2.0T may not be enough of a drag-racing power plant to satisfy your tastes, but it is far from slow. It is remarkably smooth, powerful, and responsive for its size, and, especially combined with the superb twin-clutch DSG transmission, has been one of my favorite drivetrains for years, even though I've never owned one. Second, Subarus, in general, ae more reliable than average, but, according to Consumer Reports, that good reliability doesn't always extend to the WRX and STi. I suspect, but can't prove, it is because of the hard and aggressive way that the WRX and STi is often driven....clutches, especially, seem to have trouble.
Old 05-22-14, 09:57 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@yowps3

Hot hatch indeed and with standard AWD to boot

With that said, Australian and Asia Pacific versions of the Golf R will be detuned by VW due to the hotter climates in those territories

Nevertheless, other than that, this hot hatch is hard to beat and if I were looking for a VAG hot hatch, I would go for the Golf R.

Skip the GTI and GTD..........and go straight for the R.

In fact, I hear that there are two iterations that are currently under evaluation by Volkswagen:

-Golf R Estate/Variant
and
-Golf R 400

HOT DAMN
Old 05-22-14, 09:59 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Nice write-up yowps3. VW has perfected the Golf for years, and this latest iteration upholds that heritage. Performance is certainly there, and as you say it has an understated muscle to it. Nothing 'flashy' inside or out either, just nice materials and clean intuitive design.
Old 05-22-14, 10:59 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Two things. First of all, the VW/Audi 2.0T may not be enough of a drag-racing power plant to satisfy your tastes, but it is far from slow.
I'm pretty sure he means the COMPANY is slow to getting vehicles to market, not that the car itself is too slow.
Old 05-22-14, 12:35 PM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
I'm pretty sure he means the COMPANY is slow to getting vehicles to market, not that the car itself is too slow.
Yepe Exactly my point. Thank you sir !
Old 05-22-14, 01:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
Yepe Exactly my point. Thank you sir !
OK...and thanks for clarifying. VW has offered Golf R models in the past, though, with the 3.2L VR6...I did a review of one several years ago.
Old 05-22-14, 03:35 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
Recently I had the opportunity to test out the new Volkswagen Golf R and let me say this car is nothing short of brilliance. And it really epitomises the term "German engineering"

If there is one thing we can say about the German way is that they're able to combine comfort, performance, economy etc in a beautiful package and nothing signifies these traits better than the Volkswagen Golf, particular the key Golf R.

So let's start;

DESIGN

The Golf R that I had for the test was the deep sea blue colour and let me just say that this colour looks spectacular, it truly has depth and the sheet metal the paint is applied on is the typical solid and substantial German one. The Golf R has an understating muscle look. It looks elegant but the beautiful quad exhaust tips and those eye watering 19" wheels are simply lovely. And they show that the Golf R means business.

INTERIOR

Ahh yes the interior. Open those solid doors and your greeted to a very uniform interior. To be honest nothing about the interior is flashy or 'gimmicky' for that case, but the interior is solid and material quality is top notch. Brushed metal, high quality soft touch plastics and everything in general has a substantial feel to it. The door pockets for example are very well padded, the doors are bank vault solid. Nothing rattles or squeaks and every single switch gear and button has an extremely high quality precision feel to it that we've come to expect from a German car. When you shut the door you literally feel like you're breaking the vacuum seals for the first time, everytime, it really is that great.

PERFORMANCE

Let me just say one thing and that's WOOOOOOOOOOOW!!!! The sheer force of forward thrust is just intense. It literally shoves you into your seat like crazy. The 2.0L port & direct injected engine is buttery smooth. There is absolutely none of that thrashy Honda VTEC feeling about it. The car feels like it can take and take more and more, you give it throttle and it goes fast without any hesitation, mayhem or ruckus. The engine noise is as minimal as it can get, so what VW has done is a nice but subtle exhausts burble. It's no V8 noise but it sounds nice without sounding overkill like some other 'sport vehicles'

The 6-speed DSG is magical. The shifts are so friggin quick that I couldn't believe what I was experiencing. Quick and smooth too. Just a nice popping noise each time it shifts when under WOT.

Handling has always been a thing of wonder with the Golf. It seems these days only the Germans can make a car that can handle so incredibly flat yet be so comfortable as a daily run about or long trip cruiser.

Fuel economy was amazing. Powerful 4-cyl cars are nothing new, but they've always had one big issue and that issue is excessive drinking. This is hard to believe but the Golf R returned 8.9L/100km at the end of my run which is crazy good for the type of driving I was doing!

In conclusion the Golf R continues its long standing position as the king of hot hatches and dare I say that Volkswagen has further upped the ante as this new Golf R is simply nothing short of extraordinary.
Great review! I enjoyed reading it.
Old 05-22-14, 03:39 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Not in love with the design, but they sure do look unique
Old 05-23-14, 05:59 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 204 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
The 2.0L port & direct injected engine is buttery smooth.
So looking forward to this car. Unfortunately, there are some pretty strong rumors that the US version will be direct-injection-only. It may not sound like a big deal, but the dual injection system is expressly designed to eliminate the carbon buildup issues that currently plague many/most DI engines, and as such I think it's a critical feature--and a shame if it doesn't make the trip.

Thanks for the review yowps3. This is in the running for my next vehicle, so it's nice to get impressions from a real person, rather than from journalists at a highly-controlled press event.
Old 05-24-14, 05:15 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah the STI is probably faster. But that's where the advantages end lol
And also perceived reliability..
Old 05-24-14, 05:18 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks for the write-up. The Golf R and GTI have always been favorites of enthusiasts and the auto press.
You're welcome
And yeah they're extremely impressive cars, perfect 'all round cars'

Quick Reply: yps3: Full review of the 2015. Volkswagen Golf R