Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

M/T The Big Test 2014/2015 Midsize Sedans

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-14, 09:22 AM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M/T The Big Test 2014/2015 Midsize Sedans

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._the_big_test/

6th Place: Chevrolet Malibu
A lackluster engine, cheap interior, cramped rear seat, and poor efficiency seal Malibu's fate.

5th Place: Nissan Altima
Good value and space; shame about the lethargic powertrain and poor steering response.

4th Place: Honda Accord
If all you need is space and speed, look no further. A rough ride might be solved by a non-Sport model.

3rd Place: Chrysler 200
Chrysler gets an A for effort, but is let down by a lethargic powertrain, less-than-roomy cabin, and lack of refinement.

2nd Place: Kia Optima
A solid second-place finish for a comfortable, stylish, value-packed option that is also highly efficient.

1st Place: Mazda6
Roomy, composed, quick, and fun to drive, the Mazda's victory was unanimous among our judges.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz32BAhav7W

luv mazda 6. i would've had accord 2nd. they should've waited out and added new camry & sonata in the mix.

Last edited by hlee12; 05-19-14 at 09:40 AM.
Old 05-19-14, 09:39 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The Accord should have done better, but I hate CVT's, even Honda's.

200 with the Pentastar V6 is MUCH better than the Tigershark 4 cylinder. I know the 4 cylinders are the volume engines in this segment, but the V6 paired with the AWD was pretty stellar overall in my quick drive of it.
Old 05-19-14, 09:45 AM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

My only gripe with the Mazda 6 is the size of the nav screen.
Old 05-19-14, 09:50 AM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SC300Es
My only gripe with the Mazda 6 is the size of the nav screen.
yeah, that does bother me a little. but honeslty, i don't even use Nav in cars. not all that important to me.
Old 05-19-14, 10:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I've driven most of these cars myself, and I think the new Ford Fusion would have done very well against any of them. I thought they were a little too hard on the Malibu, though I agree it can't match its far-superior big brother Impala, which is superb. The Optima probably deserves second place.....it is a surprisingly good design, though the SX version rides too stiffly. From a strictly driving-enthusiast point of view, I can probably see how the Mazda6 would have won, but, in the real world, more is involved than just a sporting drive and quick reflexes.
Old 05-19-14, 10:23 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 580 Likes on 399 Posts

Supposedly, the Mazda6 is supposed to get the same screen/**** setup as the Mazda3 has later this year
Old 05-19-14, 10:40 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

There used to be a time when it was unthinkable not to include the Camry in a "big" comparo of midsize sedans...
Old 05-19-14, 10:41 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

It is hard to figure it out anymore, Accord had much better performance than anything else on the test
Old 05-19-14, 11:22 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by ydooby
There used to be a time when it was unthinkable not to include the Camry in a "big" comparo of midsize sedans...
For those that didn't read the article, here is their rational behind their choices.

But let's get down to business: Who's up to bat and who's warming the bench? In this comparison, we have the 2014 Chevrolet Malibu and 2014 Kia Optima, both recently refreshed, along with the all-new 2015 Chrysler 200. We also let in three big players that were launched within the past couple years: last year's three-car midsize comparo winner, the Mazda6, the second-place finisher Honda Accord, and the Nissan Altima. That's a total of six midsize sedans.

Why didn't your favorite make the grade? Well, the Volkswagen Passat with the new 1.8T engine was invited, but a last-minute recall having to do with the transmission cooler O-ring wasn't resolved by game time. The Ford Fusion was also invited, but Ford politely refused to give us a car. OK, but how could we possibly overlook the best-selling Toyota Camry, for Pete's sake? Simply put, the Camry finished third in last year's three-car comparison, and there is a large-scale refresh on the horizon for the 2015 model year. We'll wait until the new car becomes available. Same goes for the all-new Hyundai Sonata and Subaru Legacy both due to launch toward the end of the year. Stay tuned to see the winner of this comparison lock horns with all of these upcoming models. For now, grab a cup of coffee and make yourself comfortable.

Old 05-19-14, 11:59 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I've driven most of these cars myself, and I think the new Ford Fusion would have done very well against any of them. I thought they were a little too hard on the Malibu, though I agree it can't match its far-superior big brother Impala, which is superb. The Optima probably deserves second place.....it is a surprisingly good design, though the SX version rides too stiffly. From a strictly driving-enthusiast point of view, I can probably see how the Mazda6 would have won, but, in the real world, more is involved than just a sporting drive and quick reflexes.
I am glad MT realizes that most of GM cars are at the back of the pack. We have been hearing for years that they are getting better to then only be told that the competition is still further ahead. The Impala is an OK car, not bad but not great.

Now if GM could just stop wasting their time on almost nice SS and the SS interiors we might just a nicer Malibu
Old 05-19-14, 12:53 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

I think it's hilarious how Ford tries to skip comparos like this as if they're afraid. They did the same with the Taurus too.
Old 05-19-14, 12:53 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Chrysler's new family of fours can't come soon enough. Also, glad to see Kia actually exceeding their efficiency numbers.
Old 05-19-14, 02:25 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexFather
For those that didn't read the article, here is their rational behind their choices.
Thanks. As you have guessed I did not actually bother to read an article of midsize sedans that doesn't involve a Toyota.
Old 05-19-14, 03:46 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 84Cressida
I think it's hilarious how Ford tries to skip comparos like this as if they're afraid. They did the same with the Taurus too.
This current Taurus is a bit lackluster, it's ok to respectively bow out. Next gen Taurus and MKS should be major improvements over the current . As to the Fusion, there's nothing to be afraid about, and it's won a few of it's own.

Congrats to Mazda. I too would have rated the Accord higher
Old 05-19-14, 04:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I am glad MT realizes that most of GM cars are at the back of the pack. We have been hearing for years that they are getting better to then only be told that the competition is still further ahead. The Impala is an OK car, not bad but not great.
Consumer Reports, a very well-respected publication, at least partially disagrees with you. Though the Impala is too new to be officially Recommended, without an established reliability data-base yet (which takes some time), they nevertheless gave the Impala a 95 out of 100 in their road tests. That's in the same ballpark as their road-test rating of the Lexus LS460 and Tesla Model S....which get a 99.

MT, of course, is entitled to its opinion (as you are). From other tests/reviews I've seen of the latest mid-sized sedans, some publications agree, and some disagree.

This specific test is also lacking several cars that would compete strongly, such as the Fusion, Passat, Legacy, Sonata, and Regal, although it could be argued that the Regal is in a slightly higher price-range.

Now if GM could just stop wasting their time on almost nice SS and the SS interiors we might just a nicer Malibu
Not a waste at all. If you look at its origin, most of the development time/expenses of the SS were already done in the Holden Commodore and the former Pontiac G8...the SS, of course, being done on the latest Commodore platform.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-20-14 at 06:16 AM.

Quick Reply: M/T The Big Test 2014/2015 Midsize Sedans