Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

vans, luxury vans, vs suvs

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-14, 06:18 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
your comment post was in the thread on the rumored luxury rav4 below the rx, which we now know is the nx. vans and suvs didn't seem too relevant but that thread had been bumped (not by you), with relevant posts which were moved to the main nx info thread in the nx forum now. but your comment/opinion is interesting and worthy of discussion! hope that clears things up.

great points. you really think the sienna rides as nice as your LS460 though?

if one needs to transport 5+ people fairly often, a family van is pretty awesome compared to an suv. the 3 row suv is more for 4-5 and 6/7(eek, 8) in a pinch.

again i prefer the higher seating position of the suv, but i expect vans will evolve too. i'd like to try a sienna some time, not that i need all those seats, lol... is the third row removable by the way?

LOL My LS460 had 22's on it and my daily driver is an ISF so maybe my opinion is skewed
Truly it rides like my LS did minus the float, but the LS was insulated like no other car I have ever been in .....even next to a semi you can barely hear the truck. Its nuts. mind blowing in fact

drove the van 400 miles this weekend and for the first time I raised the seat like and inch. I felt like I had SUV view point and it was like driving a bus. Seat was co comfortable and the drivers area is roomy as hell. Its really impressive how well the van picks up speed even above 85 mph. Its geared really well and is pretty quiet too. MPGs arent mind lowing but I was able to get 245 mpg cruising at about 80-90mph
Old 05-18-14, 08:52 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I was able to get 245 mpg cruising at about 80-90mph
impressive.
Old 05-19-14, 09:04 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They're called conversion vans, and they've been sold for years.
Old 05-19-14, 09:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
drove the van 400 miles this weekend and for the first time I raised the seat like and inch. I felt like I had SUV view point and it was like driving a bus. Seat was co comfortable and the drivers area is roomy as hell. Its really impressive how well the van picks up speed even above 85 mph. Its geared really well and is pretty quiet too. MPGs arent mind lowing but I was able to get 245 mpg cruising at about 80-90mph
Did you mean 24.5 (typo)?
Old 05-19-14, 09:28 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I will only comment here because we own two SUV's and wife wants a minivan next. However in my mind the SUV is a far safer car ~ just ask yourself if you were to get T-boned, which car would you truthfully rather be sitting in?

a) Minivan with that folding door caving in on your kids/family?

b) Large SUV that sits high and with full steel frames on the doors?

Anyone who answers (a) either is an idiot or just plain lying!

I told my wife the QX56 can be easily a minivan since that is actually the SUV we are shopping as a hybrid minivan/SUV solution. Just order the 7 passenger version with 2nd row captain chairs, remove the center console and you have a high riding safe minivan with all the capabilities of a truck. The only draw back is that stupid sliding door which I can easily do without.
Old 05-19-14, 09:30 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by doge
They're called conversion vans, and they've been sold for years.
LOL or the ones with no doors are known as the type people who want to commit crimes owns!

P.S. One other advantage just to be fair to minivans that my wife likes it the gas mileage is way better than the SUV. Safety vs. mpg...hmmmm
Old 05-19-14, 03:24 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

^^ Lexus needs a TX/GX hybrid