Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Can't decide on which SUV? any suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-14, 03:12 PM
tin369
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't decide on which SUV? any suggestions

Hi all,

Trying to decide on a SUV, have a 2009 RAV4 V6. but can't decide on which to get. Like one for one feature and dislike the other for other reasons.

First thought would get the RX350, really like the interior but not sure of the ride and handling, felt heavy. Also, a refresh may be coming out soon

Test drove Q5, it nice looks good, but small cargo and back seat, my RAV4 feels more bigger.

Really liked the X3, in terms of how it drives like a car, but interior does not feel as luxurious as a lexus, cargo and back seat is smaller than the RX. comparable feature to the rx gets expensive very soon.

The NX is coming out but first year model, don't want to get into that, plus so many unknown factors.
maybe once its officially announced, will be in a better position, also would need to test drive.

Really that's it i guess, what else? infinity qx60 is too big? cvt has problems?
don't like rex at all, mdx is still something to be considered, but don't know much about it.

I would be leasing, so it shouldn't be difficult, but still want to get a car that i would like for at least 3years.

I also read forums and take comments too seriously i guess so I easily change my mind if i read a few negative comments.

Can someone put some sense and give some guidance.
Old 02-15-14, 03:47 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

MT SUV of the year, Subaru Forester. Get the XT model.
Old 02-15-14, 03:50 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Did you look at the Acura RDX. A little bigger, standard V6, good reliability and competitive pricing.
Old 02-15-14, 05:14 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Was also going to suggest the RDX for the same reasons LexBob2 mentioned, but I believe you stated you "don't like rex at all" (You mean RDX?). What bothers me about the RDX and why I would not even consider it is for the premium price, you cannot get any of these tech features as they're not available: power tilt-telescoping steering, memory seats, BSM, rear-cross traffic alert, lane departure warning, pre-collision system, dynamic radar cruise control, HUD, ventilated seats, to name the main ones.

So RDX out. MDX and QX60 are great vehicles, but I get the impression you want something a little smaller than those, between 180-190 inches max in length.

Others to consider:

1. Volvo XC60 has most all of those tech goodies, reliability is pretty good, has a nicely finished interior, and fuel economy comparable in this class. Would be about $5K less than the RX similarly equipped. This would be my personal preference next in line to the RX, NX, X3, Highlander, and MDX.

2. Santa Fe: Can get a fully loaded with many luxury tech features including rear heated seats, with a nicely finished interior and good fuel economy, for 35K. Reliability decent.

3. Highlander 2014: It's borderline on the large side at 191 in long, but for $43K you get the Limited "Platinum" which gives practically all the tech in the RX for $10K less. It also has a really nice interior, could almost be an RX in fit and finish, and is very roomy and decent on gas.

4. Porsche Macan: I love this vehicle, but it has less interior cargo room than an X3 and is pricey at $50K + starting

Domestics:
2. Caddy SRX: Decent in reliability, finish, price, and tech features.

3. Lincoln MKC: it's a polished Ford Escape with a 2L or 2.3L Ecoboost and looks like a Q5, though to watch out for potential engine problems if past 2L Ecoboost has been any indication.

4. Jeep Grand Cherokee: It's a polished vehicle inside and out. Smooth quiet ride. Decent fuel economy. Reliability questionable. $45K gets you plenty of the bells and whistles.

Don't even bother with the MB GLK unless you really love the car. It will be redesigned soon and it's pricey, small, and outdated.

Personally, I'm waiting for the NX which we should see in Production form in about three weeks at the Geneva Auto Show. If the looks satisfy me and interior space appears to be close to the RAV4, I'll be trading in my RX for it come November!

Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 02-15-14 at 05:22 PM.
Old 02-15-14, 05:27 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

good choices corradoMR2
Old 02-15-14, 05:37 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Wait for the Refreshed BMW X3 which is coming shortly - interior is improved.
To me it has the perfect combo of utility and sporty driving.

Its a great suv especially if u are leasing - u should be able to get a nice deal.
Old 02-15-14, 05:52 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by tin369
Hi all,

Trying to decide on a SUV, have a 2009 RAV4 V6. but can't decide on which to get. Like one for one feature and dislike the other for other reasons.

First thought would get the RX350, really like the interior but not sure of the ride and handling, felt heavy. Also, a refresh may be coming out soon

Test drove Q5, it nice looks good, but small cargo and back seat, my RAV4 feels more bigger.

Really liked the X3, in terms of how it drives like a car, but interior does not feel as luxurious as a lexus, cargo and back seat is smaller than the RX. comparable feature to the rx gets expensive very soon.

The NX is coming out but first year model, don't want to get into that, plus so many unknown factors.
maybe once its officially announced, will be in a better position, also would need to test drive.

Really that's it i guess, what else? infinity qx60 is too big? cvt has problems?
don't like rex at all, mdx is still something to be considered, but don't know much about it.

I would be leasing, so it shouldn't be difficult, but still want to get a car that i would like for at least 3years.

I also read forums and take comments too seriously i guess so I easily change my mind if i read a few negative comments.

Can someone put some sense and give some guidance.
I honestly think you should wait for the NX, it seems like a natural upgrade for you. Lexus do not have first year problems like most brands, our first year GS has been pretty flawless and Lexus quality has been on the up and up with each release.

The RX just got refreshed, try a F-sport. Even a non-F-sport is considered to be one of the best all around SUVs and they lease very well.

New X3 was recently updated, just don't think it drives sporty cause its a BMW.

The Q5 is smallish, the SQ5 is pricey and hard to find but 330hp is a blast.

I would ignore the RDX suggestion as it seems to be something designed for 2001 and not 2014. Its missing many basic features and there is nothing luxurious about it.

Old 02-15-14, 06:05 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by LexFather
I honestly think you should wait for the NX, it seems like a natural upgrade for you. Lexus do not have first year problems like most brands, our first year GS has been pretty flawless and Lexus quality has been on the up and up with each release.
While I agree about the GS being a solid first year effort, the IS has had teething problems - namely the technology. The latest infotainment system (IS, CT, GX) is nowhere near as polished as what you'll find on the rest of the line-up though the system has better features forsure like traffic/weather (when it works), cache radio, 3D maps, One-Shot address entry etc..
Old 02-15-14, 06:08 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
While I agree about the GS being a solid first year effort, the IS has had teething problems - namely the technology. The latest infotainment system (IS, CT, GX) is nowhere near as polished as what you'll find on the rest of the line-up though the system has better features forsure like traffic/weather (when it works), cache radio, 3D maps, One-Shot address entry etc..
I guess I always hear the first year argument and I can understand it but it won't push me away. For the most part a Lexus will be good 1st year 12th year etc...

Old 02-15-14, 06:47 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

^^^ agreed, apart from some technological niggles i.e. with the 3IS as Hoovey2411 is right to point out, mechanically Lexus vehicles are flawless 1st or many years in. In my case, with the 3IS, I have no NAV, and not a single issue.
Old 02-15-14, 06:53 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by LexFather
I guess I always hear the first year argument and I can understand it but it won't push me away. For the most part a Lexus will be good 1st year 12th year etc...
It wouldn't push me away either. My comment was geared towards your 'absolute' sentence

Lexus do not have first year problems like most brands
Latest JD Power shows that Lexus really is the brand to get for reliability, but a Lexus is still a car no matter what. Some folks expectations are inconcievable but that's because of stereotypes and what they come to expect. But things happen, and I like to say just because you buy a Honda doesn't mean it won't be a lemon, and just because you buy a BMW doesn't mean it will have problems
Old 02-15-14, 07:28 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
It wouldn't push me away either. My comment was geared towards your 'absolute' sentence

Latest JD Power shows that Lexus really is the brand to get for reliability, but a Lexus is still a car no matter what. Some folks expectations are inconcievable but that's because of stereotypes and what they come to expect. But things happen, and I like to say just because you buy a Honda doesn't mean it won't be a lemon, and just because you buy a BMW doesn't mean it will have problems
Gotcha…….

Old 02-15-14, 10:53 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

when is this coming out?
Old 02-16-14, 06:36 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

My favorite small luxury SUV is undoubtedly the Audi Q5. It is quite small though.

The Jeep is a good suggestion, $45k gets you an Overland which is a ton of vehicle and quality for the money. Reliability isn't great (I have one) but with a lease it should be okay. If you think the RX feels heavy though, the Jeep is a very heavy vehicle.

RX is a solid choice, but uninspiring IMHO.

I think the Acuras are drab...

Originally Posted by hlee12
when is this coming out?
Its out now.
Old 02-16-14, 10:09 AM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
^^^ agreed, apart from some technological niggles i.e. with the 3IS as Hoovey2411 is right to point out, mechanically Lexus vehicles are flawless 1st or many years in. In my case, with the 3IS, I have no NAV, and not a single issue.
That's because it carries the 8 years old drivetrain. It's not an allnew car.. It;s re-disigned with the old engine.

to the OP. If you only plan to keep the car 3 years, you should not even worry about reliablily much, most cars carry 4 years of warranty so it's really about your preference and liking. No doubt Japanese cars are the most reliable but that's something you should care if you plan keeping the car more than 5 years.

You will hear all the options possible here. people bashing acura, lexus, bmw.. they're really all good cars for the first 4 years. All manufactures have lemons and more or less problems. I think it'll get you more confuse

Last edited by keyframe13; 02-16-14 at 10:15 AM.

Quick Reply: Can't decide on which SUV? any suggestions