Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Top 10 Driving Etiquette Mistakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-14, 02:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by nipponbird
On a serious note (and at the peril of being thrown off the thread for being off topic),
Don't worry about being off-topic....in the case, it doesn't apply. The thread is about driving manners and courtesy.....not necessarily about the age of the cars we're driving WHILE maintaining etiquette.

in those days people were courteous on the road, waited and signalled other people to go first etc. etc. Nowadays I get the impression people want to score on each other, therefore cutting you off on the road, running with overloaded trolleys at the supermarket to be first at the pay point and all just to gain a few seconds - or is it to say I beat that ......hole. But rudeness has never been the sign of greatness.
The main problem today is that, especially in and around major cities, traffic has gotten completely out of hand. A tremendous increase in traffic in the last 40 years or do has not been accompanied by a matching increase in the number of roads and road miles to handle it. Plus, the roads now have a number of deliberate "traffic-calming" devices and restrictions in them that they didn't 40 years ago....this restricts and snarls traffic even more. This has made a LOT of people angry (me being one of them)...though I try and maintain my composure/paitience behind the wheel and don't allow it to affect my driving habits.
Old 05-25-14, 11:50 PM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, absolutely scary, the number of cars doubled here in the last twenty odd years, while the roads have diminished in capacity. New guys in the Union Building, reckon it is better to buy themselves 7-series BMW's and go on overseas trips, why waste money on new roads or maintaining the old ones. Nowadays they even have a more brilliant idea: e-toll which means you must buy a chip so that the overhead gantry can pick you up for billing.
But I teach my kids a calm driver is a good driver , but before long I must remind myself, practise what you preach, sometimes one just snaps.
Old 01-08-15, 09:38 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

It bothers me when drivers always have to cut someone off and be in front when changing lanes. For example, this morning, there was no one behind me for about 10 car lengths and a min-SUV rolled by me on the right and when their rear wheel was aligned with my front wheel, the left blinker came on. This person could have easily merged in behind me. I also determined that they didn't adequately clear space. I didn't let them in. Plan ahead better. Look and see what's available when you need to change lanes. Most importantly, don't be an *******. There wasn't much room in front of me anyway because the truck in front of me was braking to make a left turn.
Old 01-09-15, 12:00 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^ same happened to me today, except that the woman who was 10 car lengths behind me sped up and sandwiched herself between me and the car ahead of me, all the while when I had my blinker to exit to the right. So in essence she sped up from the right side, when I was trying to exit to the right and got in front of me, and then jammed on the brakes because it was too tight.