Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Video shows new Lexus 2.0 liter turbo engine in action

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-14, 04:42 PM
lexicanto
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Video shows new Lexus 2.0 liter turbo engine in action

The video is promotional and posted on Youtube by Lexus Europe, but it's very interesting.

John Goreham from Torquenews gives the credit, though, to BMW.

Lexus is clearly following BMW’s lead by moving in this direction. Yes, Volkswagen and Hyundai should receive due credit for introducing the turbocharged in-line four cylinder to the mass-market in the US, but it really was BMW that dove deep and refined the engine design to be acceptable (barely) in premium sedans and crossovers.
But he is "skeptical of any claim that a turbocharged four can match both the fuel economy and also power of a modern six cylinder engine. Regardless, the automotive world knows it can save a few pennies on each smaller motor it can convince buyers to take home and also gain a few tenths of a mile per gallon on the EPA estimated mileage cycle."

http://www.torquenews.com/1083/video...-engine-action

What about you? Are you optimistic or skeptical about the claim that a turbocharged four can match both the fuel economy and also power of a modern six cylinder engine?
Old 05-15-14, 05:15 PM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexicanto
What about you? Are you optimistic or skeptical about the claim that a turbocharged four can match both the fuel economy and also power of a modern six cylinder engine?
There has been test between the BMW 5 series 3.0 six cylinder (258 hp) versus the new 2.0 4 cyl that has 245 hp here in Europe. And yes, the 2.0 turbo wins in every aspect ( daily driving ) besides the sound and vibrations of course. But when it comes to hard driving (repeatedly full throttle accelerations and 100-130 mph on german Autobahn ) the turbo looses its fuel economy advantage and the difference between the old 3.0 is negligible. On the other hand, that kind of driving would send you to jail i many countries.
Old 05-15-14, 05:50 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

The saving grace behind these new 2.0L engines is the use of balance shafts. Usually automakers don't use balance shafts for engines with less than 2200cc displacement..

But they are right about the modern six vs turbo four. I don't think these compromised 4-cyl turbos are as good as the modern 3.5L V6 you find these days.

Unless your talking about real uncompromised turbo cars like Evo & WRX etc as they're a different story..
Old 05-15-14, 05:54 PM
lexicanto
Driver School Candidate

I wonder why car companies go after and advertise these types of horse powers when you can't drive that in US roads.
Old 05-16-14, 03:41 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Skeptical. I believe manufacturers should focus on the fuel efficiency of V6 engines. With the R&D dollars they're spending on high efficiency turbo fours, they could have had a 40 MPG V6 by now!
Old 05-16-14, 07:06 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Skeptical. I believe manufacturers should focus on the fuel efficiency of V6 engines. With the R&D dollars they're spending on high efficiency turbo fours, they could have had a 40 MPG V6 by now!

Manufacturers could build smaller-displacement 6-cylinder engines but they would be more expensive to build than similar-sized 4-cylinders. The 6-cylinder has 50% more parts than the 4-cylinder engine.
Old 05-16-14, 07:34 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Sulu
Manufacturers could build smaller-displacement 6-cylinder engines but they would be more expensive to build than similar-sized 4-cylinders. The 6-cylinder has 50% more parts than the 4-cylinder engine.
Yet the smaller 4-cyl Turbo's are heavier.

As Toyota claimed that this new 2.0T is heavier than the 2.5L 4GR-FSE V6
Old 05-16-14, 08:18 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IS250 already has small V6 in it, and it sucks , reliability aside
Old 05-16-14, 08:23 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3

It has to be, because of the Manifold, water cooled turbo housing, additional piping. This new I4 Turbo is no joke. Toyota had put a lot of Engineering in it, it is marvelous. It has Oil grooves in cylinder wall, additional oil squirts in the Top, and more than 1 million Km of severe stressing and testing for reliability.

I think this I4T will be super good for tuning. Take the TC 4 cylinders for example, the engine has additional oil squirts and it already pumped out 7 seconds TC in 1/4 miles.

This I4T is 2 steps ahead of the TC NA 4 cylinders. I wouldn't be surprised if it can pump to 1000 HP reliably. I would be very interested to see how the NX drive. If it is anything better than my STI, I would trade in in the next few years.

After all, nothing can take away my TOyota enthusiasm
Old 05-16-14, 09:00 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

We already know they can be competitive in power and fuel economy.

But if the goal is only to match the power and fuel economy of a 6 cylinder, then what's the point? Why not stick with the 6 cylinder, with its refinement and reliability?

The goal of these new smaller turbo engines needs to be to match the power, refinement, and reliability of the modern V6/I6, while improving on fuel economy.
Old 05-16-14, 11:06 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Yes, this appears to be true...........................for the manufacturer! To the end consumer, the turbo fours are just as expensive as the competing 6's. V6 Altima's, Accord's, and Camry's are within dollars of the turbo fours from Ford, Kia, and Hyundai, and the 4's don't have near the power, refinement, smoothness and quietness.
On top of all that, out in the wild, the 4's are not getting better fuel mileage than the 6's.
Old 05-16-14, 11:39 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3

Did not know that Toyota's new 2.0T is heavier than the 2.5L 4GR-FSE V6.

Originally Posted by JDR76
We already know they can be competitive in power and fuel economy.

But if the goal is only to match the power and fuel economy of a 6 cylinder, then what's the point? Why not stick with the 6 cylinder, with its refinement and reliability?

The goal of these new smaller turbo engines needs to be to match the power, refinement, and reliability of the modern V6/I6, while improving on fuel economy.
Is that not the whole purpose of these new turbo-4s -- power of a 6 but fuel economy of a 4?

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Yes, this appears to be true...........................for the manufacturer! To the end consumer, the turbo fours are just as expensive as the competing 6's. V6 Altima's, Accord's, and Camry's are within dollars of the turbo fours from Ford, Kia, and Hyundai, and the 4's don't have near the power, refinement, smoothness and quietness.
On top of all that, out in the wild, the 4's are not getting better fuel mileage than the 6's.

It would be difficult to truly compare price of turbo-4 with equivalent 6, since they are either/or and no mass-market manufacturer (that I can think of) offers both a turbo-4 and a 6 in the same model line-up. Factors I can think of:
  1. 6-cyl engines are offered as premium models in the line-up and turbo-4s are also offered as premium models.
  2. 6-cyl engines currently offer economies of scale that newer turbo-4s do not yet offer (older, established technology with existing parts and components vs. newer technology with new, still more-expensive parts and components).
Old 05-16-14, 11:58 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Is that not the whole purpose of these new turbo-4s -- power of a 6 but fuel economy of a 4?
Absolutely. That was my point. I was responding to the question in the original post of whether or not the turbo 4s could match the power and fuel efficiency of 6 cylinders. My response was intended to state that simply matching 6 cylinders would be of no benefit. The point of the turbo 4 is to improve fuel economy.
Old 05-16-14, 12:21 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

IMO, in order for a turbo 4 to to remain competitive with their 6 cylinder rivals, they would need to be as smooth or smoother, as powerful or more powerful, as fuel efficient or more fuel efficient, and cost significantly less. Otherwise, what's the purpose? Oh.......right............TUNERS!
Just give me the six any day.
Old 05-16-14, 02:08 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Absolutely. That was my point. I was responding to the question in the original post of whether or not the turbo 4s could match the power and fuel efficiency of 6 cylinders. My response was intended to state that simply matching 6 cylinders would be of no benefit. The point of the turbo 4 is to improve fuel economy.
considering that this is replacing 2.5l V6 in Lexus lineup, it will easily be more fuel efficient while being faster.

Quick Reply: Video shows new Lexus 2.0 liter turbo engine in action