Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Drive safely, don't be reckless and don't brake check.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-14, 02:06 PM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive safely, don't be reckless and don't brake check.

This is why you don't brake check people. (NSFW due to language)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXpZ...ature=youtu.be
Old 05-15-14, 02:24 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Not sure what the blue Peugeot was doing shame on him. At the same time that Lory should have passed him rather than tailgated. Both parties seem to be at fault imo
Old 05-15-14, 03:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

In most (but not all) cases, and that would probably include this one, a vehicle hitting from behind is at fault. Can't blame it on a brake-check.....you, as a driver, are expected to be able to avoid a rear-ender even if the vehicle in front out comes to a sudden stop.

There are a few exceptions, though, to that rule. One of them is the well-known insurance accident-scam where a car suddenly pulls or veers in front of someone, slams on his brakes, deliberately causes a rear-ender, and then people in the back seat fake whiplash injuries.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-15-14 at 03:32 PM.
Old 05-15-14, 03:50 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 816 Likes on 567 Posts

It doesn't appear that he was tailgating before the car slowed to a stop. Everyone needs a dash cam!
Old 05-15-14, 04:10 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Old 05-15-14, 04:21 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

Yeah, but the truck driver was listening to Pitbull, so he deserved it.

Guy that stopped should get his hide whipped though. I came across a jerk the other day who stopped on the interchange between Summerlin Parkway and US-95. Apparently was reacting to possibly taking the wrong exit, and thought stopping was appropriate.
Old 05-15-14, 04:32 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A good example of why you should leave traffic enforcement to the police.
Old 05-15-14, 10:54 PM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Not sure what the blue Peugeot was doing shame on him. At the same time that Lory should have passed him rather than tailgated. Both parties seem to be at fault imo
It's illegal to undertake in the UK so he couldn't have passed him on the left.
Old 05-15-14, 11:48 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Andy
Understood.

btw did you mean overtake*?
Old 05-16-14, 09:15 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Looks like truck guy was rear ended, got pushed forward and hit peugeot guy.

I quote truck guy "Are you f$%N nuts?"

thank goodness for dash cam.
Old 05-16-14, 09:25 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Big Andy
This single thing here disqualifies me from ever living in the UK.
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
In most (but not all) cases, and that would probably include this one, a vehicle hitting from behind is at fault. Can't blame it on a brake-check.....you, as a driver, are expected to be able to avoid a rear-ender even if the vehicle in front out comes to a sudden stop.

There are a few exceptions, though, to that rule. One of them is the well-known insurance accident-scam where a car suddenly pulls or veers in front of someone, slams on his brakes, deliberately causes a rear-ender, and then people in the back seat fake whiplash injuries.
If the blue car has no reason to go that slow, there is no engine failure, etc then he can he cited as well. This was not in America so the laws could be very different. You can't just stop on a highway for no reason or b/c you are mad someone is tailgating you.

The truck driver clearly will be cited too maybe for following too closely. It seems like he was rear ended and then hit the blue car.

The driver of the blue car is a complete idiot and should never be allowed to drive again.

doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems like all 3 parties were at fault the Poogeut, the lorrie, and the one crashing.
Old 05-16-14, 09:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
If the blue car has no reason to go that slow, there is no engine failure, etc then he can he cited as well. This was not in America so the laws could be very different. You can't just stop on a highway for no reason or b/c you are mad someone is tailgating you.

The truck driver clearly will be cited too maybe for following too closely. It seems like he was rear ended and then hit the blue car.

The driver of the blue car is a complete idiot and should never be allowed to drive again.
Unfortunately, in America, our laws often do hold you at fault even if you rear-end an idiot. No one ever said our traffic laws are perfect.

That, of course, is how those well-known accident-scams I described above sometimes get away with it.
Old 05-16-14, 09:55 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexFather

Well said. All are at fault here. I'd go further and say the driver of the blue car should have his kneecaps broken.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Unfortunately, in America, our laws often do hold you at fault even if you rear-end an idiot. No one ever said our traffic laws are perfect.

That, of course, is how those well-known accident-scams I described above sometimes get away with it.
I believe the standard in many jurisdictions is if you hit anywhere behind the driver's door, you're at fault automatically. While I can see the validity of such an idea in trying to reinforce proper following distances....sometimes there ain't crap you can do when somebody swerves into your lane and locks them up. Happens all the time here in Vegas. Just last night on my way home from dinner at the Venetian, I was minding my own business in the hammer lane on US-95(with at least 10 car lengths between me and the car ahead of me) and some dumb POS suddenly pulls in front of me(without signalling, mind you) and abruptly slows from 75 to 50. Talk about people that shouldn't be allowed to keep breathing.

Quick Reply: Drive safely, don't be reckless and don't brake check.