Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Drive safely, don't be reckless and don't brake check.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-14, 09:59 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
This single thing here disqualifies me from ever living in the UK.
well that and they drive on the wrong side of the road

Actually one of the first cars I ever drove was a RHD Ford Laser in Singapore
Old 05-16-14, 10:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
well that and they drive on the wrong side of the road
The same applies in Japan and Australia. Australia, I can understand, since it was a British territory for years, but I have no idea how that tradition got started in Japan. And many other former British countries, of course, drive like we do...on the right side of the road.
Old 05-16-14, 10:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
Well said. All are at fault here. I'd go further and say the driver of the blue car should have his kneecaps broken.
Well, maybe they were broken. Just from the video, we don't know if there were any injuries in the crash, or how severe.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-16-14 at 10:14 AM.
Old 05-16-14, 10:16 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Hopefully the dash cam video absolves the driver of any wrong-doing.
Old 05-16-14, 10:21 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

If you drive to New Orleans as a visitor, be especially cognizant of people doing exactly that. My Navy retirement tour was there and when new people reported to the command, explaining the insurance scam business was part of their indoctrination class.
Originally Posted by mmarshall
In most (but not all) cases, and that would probably include this one, a vehicle hitting from behind is at fault. Can't blame it on a brake-check.....you, as a driver, are expected to be able to avoid a rear-ender even if the vehicle in front out comes to a sudden stop.

There are a few exceptions, though, to that rule. One of them is the well-known insurance accident-scam where a car suddenly pulls or veers in front of someone, slams on his brakes, deliberately causes a rear-ender, and then people in the back seat fake whiplash injuries.
Old 05-16-14, 11:39 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

intentionally causing an accident is a crime which is what the blue car was doing. You cant just stop for no reason on the hwy. Dont read the youtube comment if you have blood pressure problems
Old 05-16-14, 11:45 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Understood.

btw did you mean overtake*?
lol no, of course you can overtake outside slower moving traffic. What you are not supposed to do is pass inside, i.e "undertake" , on multi-lane motorways.
Old 05-16-14, 11:50 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

The same applies in Japan and Australia. Australia, I can understand, since it was a British territory for years, but I have no idea how that tradition got started in Japan. And many other former British countries, of course, drive like we do...on the right side of the road.
Britain, Canada, Japan, India, etc drive on the left because that was always the tradition from times past that you let oncoming travelers pass you on your right in case you had to draw your sword. A certain Frenchman called Napoleon was left handed and preferred to travel on the right so had the French switch to travelling on the right and the countries he conquered followed suit. The US also took its lead from France. There was no way the British would ever do what the French did so we kept driving on the left, ironically, the "right" side of the road.
Old 05-16-14, 01:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Big Andy
Britain, Canada, Japan, India, etc drive on the left because that was always the tradition from times past that you let oncoming travelers pass you on your right in case you had to draw your sword. A certain Frenchman called Napoleon was left handed and preferred to travel on the right so had the French switch to travelling on the right and the countries he conquered followed suit. The US also took its lead from France. There was no way the British would ever do what the French did so we kept driving on the left, ironically, the "right" side of the road.
Thanks...interesting. I don't think Canadians drive on the left, though.
Old 05-16-14, 02:36 PM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Thanks...interesting. I don't think Canadians drive on the left, though.

Good spot! That'd be an interesting border crossing.

The Irish are experimenting with driving on the right. Trucks and other heavy vehicles will trial it from August 1 st and if it's successful cars and motorcycles will switch on Sept 1st.
Old 05-16-14, 02:46 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

That moan of despair was funny.

You can just feel the "F* me" in it.
Old 05-16-14, 03:28 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Andy
The Irish are experimenting with driving on the right. Trucks and other heavy vehicles will trial it from August 1 st and if it's successful cars and motorcycles will switch on Sept 1st.

Wait...what?
Old 05-16-14, 07:31 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by doge
This is why you don't brake check people. (NSFW due to language)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXpZ...ature=youtu.be
I like this answer

If you really think about it, it's the silver car in the left lane's fault. Instead of slowing down with the blue car in the middle of the goddamn freeway, and making it clear to the cars behind them that there has been a full stop, the silver car kept going, giving the illusion of normal traffic and causing the wreck. All 10 parties are to blame!
Old 05-18-14, 10:56 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Wow, just utter stupidity from the blue car, coming to a full stop on a highway/merging lane especially with a big truck behind you is just asking for disaster. Well he paid the price because his car got wrecked and there is video of him clearly causing the accident on purpose. Hopefully the truck driver did not get out and beat the crap out of the blue car driver and just let the video show the cars guilt, the driver of the vehicle that plowed into the truck unfortunately will most likely get a ticket too for hitting the truck driver but with the video it may get reduced or dropped.

Some idiot a few years ago did the same thing to my dad, kept slowing down for some reason and then slammed his breaks on in a merging highway lane to a complete stop, my dad hit him, then the guy jumped on the shoulder and drove right off, probably had warrants or did not have a license/insurance. Before I got my Lexus I had a guy pass me on the right then jump right in my lane to avoid construction and then slam his breaks on to avoid traffic ahead, I did not have anti lock brakes and slid into him which totaled my car. He was young and claimed his wife was pregnant and needed to take her to the hospital and did the "I will pay for it myself, don't call the cops", I said no way you caused the accident and I know you are not going to pay, he then went right to his car and took off I guess I am thankful he took off because I did hit him and I am sure he would have lied to the police and said he did nothing wrong.
Old 05-18-14, 04:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UDel
Before I got my Lexus I had a guy pass me on the right then jump right in my lane to avoid construction and then slam his breaks on to avoid traffic ahead, I did not have anti lock brakes and slid into him which totaled my car. He was young and claimed his wife was pregnant and needed to take her to the hospital and did the "I will pay for it myself, don't call the cops", I said no way you caused the accident and I know you are not going to pay, he then went right to his car and took off I guess I am thankful he took off because I did hit him and I am sure he would have lied to the police and said he did nothing wrong.
I understand your reasoning on this one (and it does have some merit), but what you said to him was still risky. If his wife had had a stillborn or miscarriage right there in the car (and we never know exactly what moment Junior is going to come out) you could have been in some serious trouble. He could have blamed you from keeping him and his wife from getting to the hospital in time. Of course, if paramedics had been called to the scene, then the baby would have been their responsibility, and you would be off the hook.

I did not have anti lock brakes and slid into him which totaled my car.
Was your car still drivable? It sometimes doesn't take much to "total" an older car that has depreciated a lot.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-19-14 at 05:26 AM.

Quick Reply: Drive safely, don't be reckless and don't brake check.