Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Drive safely, don't be reckless and don't brake check.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-14, 07:58 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

In texas, if you brake check, It is YOUR fault if you get rear-ended. All the driver in the back has to do is say so.

Ask me how I know...
Old 05-20-14, 10:21 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I understand your reasoning on this one (and it does have some merit), but what you said to him was still risky. If his wife had had a stillborn or miscarriage right there in the car (and we never know exactly what moment Junior is going to come out) you could have been in some serious trouble. He could have blamed you from keeping him and his wife from getting to the hospital in time. Of course, if paramedics had been called to the scene, then the baby would have been their responsibility, and you would be off the hook.

Was your car still drivable? It sometimes doesn't take much to "total" an older car that has depreciated a lot.
I can tell when people are lying to me, he was not driving his wife or whoever was in the car to the hospital, he actually was going the wrong direction to get to the hospital and passed it a while ago. He basically said let me get your name and address and don't call the cops and I'll pay for it He was driving a old junky car with a big chrome bumper so I did not see him paying thousands of dollars to repair my car. As soon as I said I am calling the police and I am handling this with the insurance companies he took off, I ran up to the car to get the license number and he just kept going, he was not going to give me any of his information either.

I would not be blamed for anything anyway, I did not hold a gun to his head or physically restrain him to keep him there even if his wife was pregnant, he caused the accident and then was just going to flee the scene which is illegal, he only stopped after the accident because traffic was stopped ahead and I was walking up to his car to make sure he was okay and get his information.

My car was not drivable, there was radiator fluid leaking out, the front was pretty smashed but the airbags thankfully did not go off. There was no damage to the guys car, big chrome bumper, I did not think my car would have been a total but it had over a 100K miles on it and was about 10 years old and probably needed more work under the surface, I still just wanted it repaired because it was reliable and in perfect condition but they refused, I actually saw it several years later driving around, I recognized the dealership logo on the rear bumper and a small scratch so even though "totaled" it was still fixed and sold to someone else.
Old 05-20-14, 01:00 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by UDel
I can tell when people are lying to me, he was not driving his wife or whoever was in the car to the hospital, he actually was going the wrong direction to get to the hospital and passed it a while ago. He basically said let me get your name and address and don't call the cops and I'll pay for it He was driving a old junky car with a big chrome bumper so I did not see him paying thousands of dollars to repair my car. As soon as I said I am calling the police and I am handling this with the insurance companies he took off, I ran up to the car to get the license number and he just kept going, he was not going to give me any of his information either.

I would not be blamed for anything anyway, I did not hold a gun to his head or physically restrain him to keep him there even if his wife was pregnant, he caused the accident and then was just going to flee the scene which is illegal, he only stopped after the accident because traffic was stopped ahead and I was walking up to his car to make sure he was okay and get his information.

My car was not drivable, there was radiator fluid leaking out, the front was pretty smashed but the airbags thankfully did not go off. There was no damage to the guys car, big chrome bumper, I did not think my car would have been a total but it had over a 100K miles on it and was about 10 years old and probably needed more work under the surface, I still just wanted it repaired because it was reliable and in perfect condition but they refused, I actually saw it several years later driving around, I recognized the dealership logo on the rear bumper and a small scratch so even though "totaled" it was still fixed and sold to someone else.
You can tell when people are lying to you? Like Professor X or Jean Grey? What if the guy had a pregnant wife with him and it did cause complications? You don't know all the facts and are placing sole blame on the guy. Unfortunately if you rear end someone, you are at fault in most cases and someone cutting you off doesn't excuse you from rear ending someone.

A police investigator could see things very differently. If you ended up in court and if it went to trial the jury could very well be inclined to side with the pregnant wife and her husband due to her carrying a child (if they have a great attorney that knows what they are doing).

For all you know the guy drove off in a panic trying to get the hospital and a child was born later.

One thing I think everyone in this thread can agree on is accidents stink.

Old 05-20-14, 03:13 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather

The driver of the blue car is a complete idiot and should never be allowed to drive again.
This!^^^