Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tier 1 suppliers call GM the worst OEM to work with

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-14, 04:30 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Tier 1 suppliers call GM the worst OEM to work with

Among automakers with a big US presence, General Motors is the worst to work for, according to a new survey from Tier 1 automotive suppliers, conducted by Planning Perspectives, Inc.

The Detroit-based manufacturer, which has been under fire following the ignition switch recall and its accompanying scandal, finished behind six other automakers with big US manufacturing operations. Suppliers had issues with trust and communications, as well as intellectual property protection. GM was also the least likely to allow suppliers to raise their prices in the face of unexpected increases in material cost, all of which contributed to 55 percent of suppliers saying their relationship with GM was "poor to very poor."

GM's cross-town competitors didn't fare much better. Chrysler finished in fifth place, ahead of GM and behind Dearborn-based Ford, which was passed for third place this year by Nissan. Toyota took the top marks, while Honda captured second place.

PPI also surveyed suppliers of Volkswagen, BMW and Mercedes-Benz, each of which has considerably smaller manufacturing presence relative to the American and Japanese brands (there are only three US factories between the three of them). Mercedes and VW were ranked behind GM, while BMW would have been just behind Toyota.

According to Reuters, this survey serves to illustrate a big issue facing American manufacturers – Japanese brands aren't just on good terms with suppliers, but their relations are actually improving. PPI boss John Henke said the popularity of Toyota and Nissan among suppliers increased considerably, indicating that we "could be entering an era in supplier relations that doesn't bode well for the US Big Three."
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/05/12/t...oem-work-with/
Old 05-12-14, 04:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

BMW would have been just behind Toyota.
Interesting. BMWs have had notable electronics and reliability glitches for years, though there have been some improvements lately. Still, a number of those glitches have also been traced to suppliers, not just shoddy assembly at the plants.
Old 05-12-14, 04:55 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Let these half-assed, tax bailout money funded, non-competitive car companies die already.
Old 05-12-14, 05:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by islandbeef
Let these half-assed, tax bailout money funded, non-competitive car companies die already.
You have a generally outdated view of them....which was once true. Today, GM and Chrysler ARE competitive. Go out and see / test-drive some of their latest products for yourself.
Old 05-12-14, 05:12 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You have a generally outdated view of them....which was once true. Today, GM and Chrysler ARE competitive. Go out and see / test-drive some of their latest products for yourself.
I'll be going on vacation soon, I'm pretty sure my rental will be one of these domestic brands. I should get an updated first hand experience, which may or may not substantiate my outburst.
Old 05-12-14, 05:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I'll be going on vacation soon, I'm pretty sure my rental will be one of these domestic brands. I should get an updated first hand experience, which may or may not substantiate my outburst.
Keep in mind, though, when you rent, that the current Dodge Avenger/Chrysler 200 are still leftovers......dated, unimpressive designs. They are due for all-new replacements soon which should be MUCH better...as other new Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep products have been.

Among GM products, I'd recommend the 2014 Chevrolet Impala with a V6 (light-years ahead of the 2013 model), Buick Verano, Buick Regal GS, Chevrolet Sonic, Cadillac CTS, Cadillac ATS, and, to a lesser extent, the Chevrolet Malibu. The Cadillac XTS, IMO, is one of GM's few recent true flops....interior trim is nice, but it is not worthy of a flagship status in its driving manners.
Old 05-12-14, 05:58 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Good supplier relations is one of W. Edward's Demings 14 principles of good quality. Deming was an American statistician who became a quality guru to the Japanese following WW2. His principle #4 advocated:

End the practice of awarding business on the basis of price tag. Instead, minimize total cost. Move toward a single supplier for any one item, on a long-term relationship of loyalty and trust.
There is one current and very obvious example of when this principle was NOT followed. Instead of taking the long-term perspective and trying to minimize total costs, instead, GM forced its ignition switch supplier Delphi to produce the cheapest ignition switch possible, saving less than a dollar on each switch. How much has the recall and lawsuits related to the ignition switch problem cost them -- much, much more per ignition switch than it would have cost to buy the better one in the first place?

Not only did this poor practice cost GM much more in the long run, but forcing Delphi to take the lowest price for its products pushed Delphi into bankruptcy.

Japanese companies have long been believers and followers of Deming (Toyota among them) but American companies are still learning. It is ironic that it took an American to teach the Japanese about quality.
Old 05-12-14, 06:06 PM
Luckyme
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife and I just sold our company we ran for almost 25 years. We were very successful, and since 1988, we've been a supplier to Toyota. Since 1992, Tier 1. A great customer, indeed. We worked very hard to meet and exceed their tough requirements with several awards from several Toyota facilities in North America.
Over the years, we've been asked to supply GM, federal and State governments. I always said, " no thank you", and glad we never climbed into bed with GM, or the government.
Old 05-13-14, 02:44 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Agreed. It's amazing to compare GM and Toyota, both of which have very vertical and integrated supply chains, and nevertheless see how differently they manage their suppliers. Toyota's strategy - even as far back as the 80s - has been to integrate culturally (i.e., streamline processes/kaizen, JIT, etc.), but still allow significant supplier flexibility outside of those larger/more general cultural issues (perhaps Luckyme can comment on whether he felt that was true or not). In any case, Toyota's success at properly managing suppliers shows in part through these surveys.

Ironically, GM's status as by far the most vertically-integrated of the Big Three automakers means the suppliers would have been least impacted by a GM bankruptcy or even liquidation. Unfortunately, as we all know the gov decided on a bailout instead, and well... there's a reason the taxpayers had to foot the $11.2 billion loss on that decision. Too bad this survey shows things haven't changed culturally within GM since then.
Old 05-13-14, 08:25 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I just rented a new Malibu, and for the sake of brevity, I'll just say that it sucked.

My wife put her phone charger into the 12v port on the dash, and when I shifted into Park, I crushed my hand on it. This is just absolutely terrible design, as if no one ever even sat in a mock-up of the cockpit and tested the ergonomics of it.

The seats also seemed to trap every ounce of heat and radiate it back to me. Whoever thought a puffy, foam-filled cloth insert was better than sticking with the synthetic leather on the rest of the seat, once again, probably never sat in the thing.

Materials may be better, quality may be improving, but that doesn't mean GM is making "good cars".

Last edited by Infra; 05-13-14 at 08:28 AM.
Old 05-13-14, 09:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Infra
My wife put her phone charger into the 12v port on the dash, and when I shifted into Park, I crushed my hand on it. This is just absolutely terrible design, as if no one ever even sat in a mock-up of the cockpit and tested the ergonomics of it.
Is that the only location of the 12V port inside? Some cars have more than one.

The seats also seemed to trap every ounce of heat and radiate it back to me. Whoever thought a puffy, foam-filled cloth insert was better than sticking with the synthetic leather on the rest of the seat, once again, probably never sat in the thing.
Were they black seats? A lot of Malibus get built with the all-black interior (which I agree, is not my favorite), and, of course, black heats up in the sun like an oven. Two-tone interiors, though, with lighter-colored seats, are available.

Materials may be better, quality may be improving, but that doesn't mean GM is making "good cars".
The new Impala, driving-dynamics wise and chassis-enginering, is arguably their best. I also like the Verano's materials, sound-insulation, and overall solidity.
Old 05-13-14, 09:32 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

The Cruze is a pretty decent car IMO.
Old 05-13-14, 10:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
For the price, yes. Its interior and overall workmanship is a huge jump from the Cavalier and Cobalt it replaces (the Cobalt was also plagued with that defective GM ignition-switch). But the Cruze has not entirely shook off the Cobalt's reliability problems.
Old 05-13-14, 11:28 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
it is always the same with GM... it all looks good on the surface, then few years later :-).

Chevrolet lineup in UK was rated the worst in for dependability in latest survey. This was mostly small Chevy's like Cruze and Spark, so GM Daewoo and not Opel re-badges.
Old 05-13-14, 12:41 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This has been one of those poorly kept, open secrets in the industry for ages. But it's still funny to see more and more evidence that GM never changed with the BK, like I knew all along.

Quick Reply: Tier 1 suppliers call GM the worst OEM to work with