Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Test drove the Chevy SS today

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-14, 09:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Infra
I just think it's amazing GM can take an interior like this

And turn it into this

The satin trim switched for chrome.
So what's wrong with chrome? I see no problem with it as long as it is not used to excess, like on late 1950s American cars, or put in a place where sun glaring off of it could interfere with your vision.
Old 05-12-14, 11:21 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
So what's wrong with chrome? I see no problem with it as long as it is not used to excess, like on late 1950s American cars, or put in a place where sun glaring off of it could interfere with your vision.
Chrome is gaudy and out of style.
Old 05-12-14, 03:39 PM
fastdak25
Pole Position

I agree. I try to stay away from chrome; wheels, and any chrome trim on my cars I try to cover up in plastidip or have painted. I still like black chrome though.
Old 05-12-14, 04:16 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Chrome can be OK if it's done tastefully and minimally. Some of the older Ford trucks look good with the right amount of it, but I'm not a fan of the people who bought everything out of the JC Whitney catalog and threw it on.

As for their newer rigs, I like the King Ranch due solely to the painted bumpers and color matched grille. Same for my car, I went for the color matched grille with it as well.
Old 05-12-14, 04:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Well, your opinion noted and respected. But I think it also bears noting that it hasn't been around for 60 years (or more) for nothing. A LOT of American car buyers still like it....as long as it isn't used in places where sun glare off of it could interfere with vision. That was the reason, decades ago, for Federal regulations mandating flat-black (or flat-colored) windshield wiper-arms.
Old 05-13-14, 08:24 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by UGKkllr
39 grand seems like a heck of a value imo

Having spent close to an hour inside the SS , I can assure you the interior materials are mostly nice. There is some plastic trim that I was not crazy about but overall the interior is very sexy
Sorry but a $47K should not have just a "mostly nice" interior.
Old 05-13-14, 08:26 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by UGKkllr
39 grand seems like a heck of a value imo

Having spent close to an hour inside the SS , I can assure you the interior materials are mostly nice. There is some plastic trim that I was not crazy about but overall the interior is very sexy
Sorry but a $47K car should not have just a "mostly nice" interior.
Old 05-13-14, 08:39 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Well, your opinion noted and respected. But I think it also bears noting that it hasn't been around for 60 years (or more) for nothing. A LOT of American car buyers still like it....as long as it isn't used in places where sun glare off of it could interfere with vision. That was the reason, decades ago, for Federal regulations mandating flat-black (or flat-colored) windshield wiper-arms.
That's fine. I'm all for freedom to buy whatever floats your boat. My problem with this specific instance is that there is only 1 trim option.

If you go to Holden's HSV site and look at all the different trims they offer (there are 6 derivations), and realize that GM could simply ship the parts that already exist, I think you'll agree with my point of view on this.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
+1
Old 05-13-14, 09:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Well, how about 50K Ford Explorers where you have to prop up the hood with an El Cheapo manual rod?
Old 05-13-14, 09:41 AM
LexFather

You guys do realize that maybe the SS buyer has different priorities? B/C you have also have an "almost nice" interior in a lot of cars costing 47k and they don't have a 420hp or so V-8.

Oddly enough the SS and Genesis V-8 R-spec are price for price pretty even with 420hp (the new V-8 Genesis climbed into the 55k range). Both have interiors that are fine but clearly not going to blow people away. If you want that, you are going to have to pay double!

Old 05-13-14, 09:55 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Uhmm the SS would blow the V8 Genesis out of the water with ease! ^^
Old 05-13-14, 10:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexFather
You guys do realize that maybe the SS buyer has different priorities? B/C you have also have an "almost nice" interior in a lot of cars costing 47k and they don't have a 420hp or so V-8.
Agreed.

Oddly enough the SS and Genesis V-8 R-spec are price for price pretty even with 420hp (the new V-8 Genesis climbed into the 55k range). Both have interiors that are fine but clearly not going to blow people away. If you want that, you are going to have to pay double!
You, of course, being a former Pontiac G8 GT fan, know that the SS comes from the same (but somewhat updated) Holden Commodore platform. But the SS, IMO, for several reasons, has a far better interior than the G8's did ( I thought the G8's interior was disapponting). Still, I agree with you that, compared to an Audi A8, Jaguar XJ, Cadillac XTS, or even something closer to its price range like the Audi A6, the SS's interior is nice, but is not going to blow people away.

(You may wonder why I mentioned the XTS, a car I have often panned. IMO, the XTS chassis/wheels/tires/suspension may s**k, but it DOES have nice interior trim).
Old 05-13-14, 10:50 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Seems many don't like the SS body design and/or interior because the discount is $7K.
Old 05-13-14, 11:14 AM
LexFather

Agreed.

You, of course, being a former Pontiac G8 GT fan, know that the SS comes from the same (but somewhat updated) Holden Commodore platform. But the SS, IMO, for several reasons, has a far better interior than the G8's did ( I thought the G8's interior was disapponting). Still, I agree with you that, compared to an Audi A8, Jaguar XJ, Cadillac XTS, or even something closer to its price range like the Audi A6, the SS's interior is nice, but is not going to blow people away.

(You may wonder why I mentioned the XTS, a car I have often panned. IMO, the XTS chassis/wheels/tires/suspension may s**k, but it DOES have nice interior trim).
I agree the SS interior is better than the G8... I feel the FWD XTS and RLX compete pretty closely with one another and not with RWD cars. I see a ton of XTS's around Miami.

Old 05-13-14, 01:54 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather

I have a feeling though if this same exact car was being announced by an import brand....the reception here would be a little warmer.

As long as it's a domestic we're talking about(although I agree with some that the leadership at GM is crooked):

Quick Reply: Test drove the Chevy SS today