Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Porsche plans new five-door Cayenne coupe

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-14, 05:43 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Porsche plans new five-door Cayenne coupe

Porsche is planning to expand its Cayenne SUV line-up with a uniquely styled coupé model. Design proposals for the new five-door liftback are described as already being at an advanced phase.

The Cayenne coupé, as the model has been christened in its development, will be positioned as a more sporting alternative to the regular Cayenne. It will receive a range of petrol and diesel engines, together with plug-in petrol-electric and diesel-electric hybrid powertrains, Porsche insiders have confirmed.

It is one of up to seven new SUVs set to be developed on a new version of the VW Group’s MLB platform currently being engineered by Audi.

Tentatively scheduled for introduction in 2018 as part of the third-generation Cayenne line-up, the Cayenne coupé has been conceived as a rival to the growing number of sporting, upmarket crossover-style vehicles, including the BMW X6, Mercedes-Benz MLC and Range Rover Sport.

"We have been considering launching a more sporting derivative of the Cayenne for some time now," a senior Porsche official revealed. "The problem has been the production capacity at our Leipzig factory and the strong sales of the regular Cayenne."

It is also understood that Porsche is concerned about preserving the exclusivity of its 911, Cayman and Boxster sports cars as it expands its SUV range. This will be a factor in whether the model gets the final production go-ahead, although approval does seem likely at present.

With further investment set to increase production capacity at the Leipzig plant when the third-generation Cayenne arrives in 2017, company boss Matthias Müller has brought the coupé variant of Porsche’s strongest-selling model into its new model development programme.

The coupé’s styling will be an evolution of that seen on today’s second-generation Cayenne, a facelift for which is imminent before the third-generation model arrives in 2017. Expect the Cayenne coupé to adopt an edgier look with tauter surfacing and overall styling inspired by the 918 Spyder, as our artist’s impression reveals. A sleeker roofline, narrow glasshouse and sloping rear end will help to differentiate it from the regular Cayenne SUV.

The interior will be shared with the new Cayenne, which again will be heavily influenced by the 918 Spyder hypercar.

The Cayenne coupé is set to be priced around 15 to 20 per cent higher than the current Cayenne, suggesting an entry-level price of around £50,000 for a 3.0-litre petrol V6 variant. As with the current Cayenne, an extensive model range is expected to include GTS, Turbo and Diesel variants, with the range being crowned by a twin-turbocharged petrol V8 with more than 550bhp in the Turbo S.

The chassis is set to be honed at the Nürburgring, with Porsche keen to push the Cayenne coupé’s sporting intentions. It will be lower overall and have a lower ride height than the Cayenne on which it is based, with the intention of giving the more road-focused model a lower centre of gravity.
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/ne...-cayenne-coupe
Old 05-05-14, 07:51 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Not surprised Porsche wants to expand. If they get it wrong like the ZDX...
Old 05-05-14, 08:06 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Nice 918 wheels
Old 05-05-14, 08:10 PM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Not surprised Porsche wants to expand. If they get it wrong like the ZDX...
ZDX failed because Honda used a fwd chassis and a generic v6. The only way Porsche gets this wrong is if it uses a FWD chassis and generic power train, which would be highly unlikely.
Old 05-05-14, 08:37 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I guess Porsche wants in on that HUGE market for useless SUVs.
Old 05-06-14, 05:28 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
If you were in the car business, wouldn't it be obvious decision to expand into a growing market? I would be questioning their decision if they didnt.
Old 05-06-14, 06:34 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
My sentiments exactly. Who came up with the idea for this genre of Autobahn stormers? Can't imagine who you will want to impress with a car which looks like a 1965 Type 3 VW fastback with Oshkosh wheels, but then it worked for BMW.

Last edited by nipponbird; 05-06-14 at 06:40 AM.
Old 05-06-14, 08:47 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Originally Posted by nipponbird
My sentiments exactly. Who came up with the idea for this genre of Autobahn stormers? Can't imagine who you will want to impress with a car which looks like a 1965 Type 3 VW fastback with Oshkosh wheels, but then it worked for BMW.
You and I may not like it, but many do. These cars sell well!! from a business perspective it doesn't make sense not to build.
Old 05-06-14, 09:58 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Believe it is loaded to the brim with everything you can find in the Porsche warehouse where the special stuff is stored. Which will make it a very very capable vehicle and I try hard to acquire the taste. However, I still think Infiniti has a better genre with the QX70, which they claim is an SUV which, for a change has the emphasis on the 'sport' in the SUV acronym. Not that the Porsche doesn't have the same aim, the overall impression just doesn't confirm it.

Last edited by nipponbird; 05-06-14 at 10:34 AM.