Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next generation Land Cruiser on the drawing board

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-14, 03:24 PM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Next generation Land Cruiser on the drawing board

This is what i managed to get form the '' Land Cruiser owners online'' website.

Hi all,
Just attended a paid Market Research, in Sydney, and have viewed three new styles for the new replacement.

Photo 1. Includes a bonnet scoop for the intercooler. the roof looks as though it came off the FJ and all three had new slim smaller headlights.Tail lights protrude at the rear.

2nd. Looks good with big bold black grill.No bonnet scoop with flush tail lights like a corolla's, black door pillars with possible chrome trim. similar roof to current 200.

3rd Photo looks like a beefed up Rav4 small sloping quarter windows no scoop .
No photos were allowed.

They are looking for all 200 series owners up in the Towoomba to Brisbane areas to take part in paid 2 hour discussion groups next week.Pays $120 cash plus all the food & drink laid on.
If you want to take part send me a PM and I will forward you the details. to contact them.

End

Last edited by UZJ100GXR; 05-03-14 at 04:08 PM.
Old 05-03-14, 04:11 PM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Couldn't help but picture the Highlander....

I know older LC owners already make fun of the new Cruiser's and they call them enlarged Highlander's.

If you have any info regarding the future of the LC and LX, please share.

Oh and another thing, i keep hearing the current generation Lexus LX and Toyota Land Cruiser are going to get another final update before they replace them in a couple of years or so...and this update should come in the next few months....( No the Supercharged LX does not count, it is still a 2014 )

If you have any info on the Future LX/LC, please share.

Last edited by UZJ100GXR; 05-03-14 at 11:35 PM.
Old 05-29-14, 02:11 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Quite interesting, I knew I had read this weeks ago and I can see that my assumption regarding Toyota's development program was right. Usually 2.5-3 years ahead of production start-up and not a meagre 18 months. Thanks again for correcting my incorrect suspicions regarding the Brownstone and Supercharged models. I am 100% sure of those 200 updates that arrive later this year and it looks like we're not alone in those thoughts.

Are you/they sure if this was for the 180 series or the 300 version? From what I'm hearing, I do not like these design proposals. Especially the 3rd one. Toyota needs to be very creative and sensible with that they're doing. The 300 is supposed to be somewhat high-end and its exterior design should reflect that. It seems as if whoever saw these is purposefully making unsavory comparisons via the Corolla and the RAV4, due to nondisclosure agreements or is terribly unimaginative at describing design details.

I have to wonder if they are holding sessions for 3 different models in the Land Cruiser range (Prado, V8, and FJ replacement) and not 3 proposals for one model. Then again, size and configuration would be an obvious factor to the participant.
Old 05-29-14, 02:55 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was really hoping to see some pics
Old 05-29-14, 03:48 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26
I was really hoping to see some pics
Definitely not at this stage, as parallel to them is the next Patrol and possible QX80 replacement in development. I would imagine Nissan, like Toyota have extended how long they develop a vehicle back to previous cycles. I do not think one will see spy pics until next year (mid-late 2015).

Toyota may be terribly busy in 2016 with what seems to be a new Tundra, Prado, Hilux, LX, Land Cruiser, Tacoma, LS, and TX. Not even including a new Camry that probably needs to top its recent MB W212 E-Class-style facelift.
Old 05-30-14, 09:06 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have heard that Toyota will retire the Sequoia and offer additional trims of the Land Cruiser ( SR5, SR5 Plus, Limited, Platinum) to make it's price point more appealing to Expedition/Tahoe shoppers. With that considered and what we've read above, the next generation should be very interesting...
Old 05-30-14, 09:11 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Nobody sneaked a camera in???

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I have heard that Toyota will retire the Sequoia and offer additional trims of the Land Cruiser ( SR5, SR5 Plus, Limited, Platinum) to make it's price point more appealing to Expedition/Tahoe shoppers. With that considered and what we've read above, the next generation should be very interesting...
It's not about the trim level, but the space/size.

Isn't the sequoia bigger than the LC/LX?
Old 05-30-14, 09:32 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by cmk1
Definitely not at this stage, as parallel to them is the next Patrol and possible QX80 replacement in development. I would imagine Nissan, like Toyota have extended how long they develop a vehicle back to previous cycles. I do not think one will see spy pics until next year (mid-late 2015).

Toyota may be terribly busy in 2016 with what seems to be a new Tundra, Prado, Hilux, LX, Land Cruiser, Tacoma, LS, and TX. Not even including a new Camry that probably needs to top its recent MB W212 E-Class-style facelift.
Toyota is going to roll the LX and Sequoia into one platform. Size will be similar to the Patrol.
Old 05-30-14, 10:05 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
It's not about the trim level, but the space/size.

Isn't the sequoia bigger than the LC/LX?
I agree, but the Land Cruiser starts at $80K and essentially comes fully loaded. From what I understand, Toyota is going to scale down the equipment in an effort to lower the base price and make it more approachable.

I do think the size of the Land Cruiser is a little more manageable for most - Sequoia is huge (to me).
Old 05-30-14, 10:34 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

I agree, but the Land Cruiser starts at $80K and essentially comes fully loaded. From what I understand, Toyota is going to scale down the equipment in an effort to lower the base price and make it more approachable.

I do think the size of the Land Cruiser is a little more manageable for most - Sequoia is huge (to me).
I can't believe how much $$$ has increased.
I think toyota will have to scale it down A LOT.

I have a friend with a sequoia and the bigger trunk/ 3rd row seat is a blessing on a fully loaded long road trip.

If he had a landcuiser, space would've definitely been an issue.
Old 05-30-14, 11:15 AM
LexFather

Sounds yummy!

Old 05-30-14, 04:50 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

I've heard of this, but do not agree with that theory. I once believed that LC180 (Prado) Toyota SUV should replace the 200 Land Cruiser and the J150 GX460 in the U.S. market. It would adopt the trim levels proposed above, as well as a standard V8 and an available diesel. The 6-cylinder would remain as the standard powertrain in the 4Runner, which would become more of an off-road focused model. The LX would be based on the 300 Series, which would only be available outside the U.S. market with a Toyota badge and Land Cruiser nameplate.

However, Toyota still favors the current GX, so a Toyota-badged replacement as the sole US Land Cruiser may not be necessary. I would hate for the capabilities of the 300-Series to be reduced to accommodate the loss of the Sequoia. The upmarket image of the current 200 should not be ruined by trying to match inferior competitors. That should be saved for a U.S. 180 in place of the 300-Series as the Land Cruiser in the US and keep the Lexus J300. The rest of us would have the 300-Series under a Toyota badge.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Toyota is going to roll the LX and Sequoia into one platform. Size will be similar to the Patrol.
I would hope this is concerning size only, as the 300 Series I would expect to be even more high-end than the 200. The Sequoia has been highly inferior to the Land Cruiser 200, so I am pleased to see it disappear.
Old 05-31-14, 10:15 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I've heard of this, but do not agree with that theory. I once believed that LC180 (Prado) Toyota SUV should replace the 200 Land Cruiser and the J150 GX460 in the U.S. market. It would adopt the trim levels proposed above, as well as a standard V8 and an available diesel. The 6-cylinder would remain as the standard powertrain in the 4Runner, which would become more of an off-road focused model. The LX would be based on the 300 Series, which would only be available outside the U.S. market with a Toyota badge and Land Cruiser nameplate.

However, Toyota still favors the current GX, so a Toyota-badged replacement as the sole US Land Cruiser may not be necessary. I would hate for the capabilities of the 300-Series to be reduced to accommodate the loss of the Sequoia. The upmarket image of the current 200 should not be ruined by trying to match inferior competitors. That should be saved for a U.S. 180 in place of the 300-Series as the Land Cruiser in the US and keep the Lexus J300. The rest of us would have the 300-Series under a Toyota badge.

I would hope this is concerning size only, as the 300 Series I would expect to be even more high-end than the 200. The Sequoia has been highly inferior to the Land Cruiser 200, so I am pleased to see it disappear.
Highly inferior? I don't think so.

Both the LX/LC and the Sequoia have their pros and cons. IMO there are more cons on the LX/LC and some of them include the smaller size, lack of a modern US style tail gate and a very poor rear seat design. The LC finally got a proper equipment update with the last refresh to match the 08 Sequioa in features and amentities. It was astonishing what the 08 LC did not offer when it was released in 08.

Any of the LX/LC and Sequoia models will be reliable, comfortable, and they will all live up to Toyotas reputation for legendary quality.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 05-31-14 at 10:25 AM.
Old 05-31-14, 01:10 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Highly inferior? I don't think so.

Both the LX/LC and the Sequoia have their pros and cons. IMO there are more cons on the LX/LC and some of them include the smaller size, lack of a modern US style tail gate and a very poor rear seat design. The LC finally got a proper equipment update with the last refresh to match the 08 Sequioa in features and amentities. It was astonishing what the 08 LC did not offer when it was released in 08.

Any of the LX/LC and Sequoia models will be reliable, comfortable, and they will all live up to Toyotas reputation for legendary quality.
Yes, I greatly stand by my opinion that it's inferior for many reasons. The LC did not just receive any updates in 2008 to just match the existing Sequoia. It was fully redesigned, launching in November 2007, just before the 2008 Sequoia arrived in December 2007. Amongst many negatives, the Sequoia still is devoid of a bevy of equipment available on the 200 and Toyota models such as the Camry. The 200's supposedly smaller size, "poor" rear seat design, and American complaints towards tail gate design are highly irrelevant (same with RAV4 and GX) and essentially a non-issue to most elsewhere.

Yes, the rear configuration of the Land Cruiser has currently not allowed for a better 3rd row seating position for adults nor fold in the floor rear seats. I cannot really see any benefits concerning the Sequoia aside from size & price, which has never really had a pleasing design altogether. The Sequoia practically reeks of being a Tundra with just a hatch on the rear, with equally unimpressive fit & finish. The prior generation was executed better in that department, without looking bloated.

The amount of effort invested into the Land Cruiser, justifies it far above the Sequoia. The quality is definitely not comparable, which is why the LC is priced more in the first place. Then again I am much more acquainted with Land Cruisers (80, 100, 120, 150, & 200), than I am the Sequoia and Tundra and likely for similar reasons I listed above. The 4Runner is even a better offering, not accounting for size.
Old 05-31-14, 04:28 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, I greatly stand by my opinion that it's inferior for many reasons. The LC did not just receive any updates in 2008 to just match the existing Sequoia. It was fully redesigned, launching in November 2007, just before the 2008 Sequoia arrived in December 2007. Amongst many negatives, the Sequoia still is devoid of a bevy of equipment available on the 200 and Toyota models such as the Camry. The 200's supposedly smaller size, "poor" rear seat design, and American complaints towards tail gate design are highly irrelevant (same with RAV4 and GX) and essentially a non-issue to most elsewhere.

Yes, the rear configuration of the Land Cruiser has currently not allowed for a better 3rd row seating position for adults nor fold in the floor rear seats. I cannot really see any benefits concerning the Sequoia aside from size & price, which has never really had a pleasing design altogether. The Sequoia practically reeks of being a Tundra with just a hatch on the rear, with equally unimpressive fit & finish. The prior generation was executed better in that department, without looking bloated.

The amount of effort invested into the Land Cruiser, justifies it far above the Sequoia. The quality is definitely not comparable, which is why the LC is priced more in the first place. Then again I am much more acquainted with Land Cruisers (80, 100, 120, 150, & 200), than I am the Sequoia and Tundra and likely for similar reasons I listed above. The 4Runner is even a better offering, not accounting for size.
Whatever dude, keep drinking the Land Cruiser kool-aid.

The Sequoia debited with a number of features unavailable on the Land Cruiser:

Cool seats
Lexus type AVS suspension
Radar cruise
Height adjustable lights
Modem rear hatch that is powered
IRS
Thicker frame
A more advanced 4WD
And there are more...

Both are great vehicles that do some things well and some not so well. The whole LC thing is B.S. IMO, it is an inferior design compared to the American sized Sequoia.

Sure the LC has a lovely interior , but the Sequoia platinum interior also does exactly what it supposed to do. It has all the modern features just like the LC

Where is the blind cross alert on LC?

Quick Reply: Next generation Land Cruiser on the drawing board