Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

April 2014 Sales Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-14, 09:54 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

Joeb, that is the model I was referring to by by the 3 series size car. Thanks for pointing to the target pricing.
Old 05-07-14, 10:22 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i am still quite surprised by the success of tesla
Old 05-07-14, 10:29 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

To me it comes down to a lot of American folks with coin want a nice American car.

If it is innovative that is icing on the cake.

The folks at GM and Ford are bone heads and can't get the right product through the pipeline (Ford being worse and I never give Chrysler any credit so skip that).

Folks outside the USA want what we want so Tesla will rock and roll.
Old 05-07-14, 12:10 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
To me it comes down to a lot of American folks with coin want a nice American car.
very well said, that's kind of what i figured too. but the thought of how well they do with a 6 figure car, that's quite an achievement
Old 05-07-14, 12:53 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
GS,

Thanks for the current Tesla info.

Here is my 5 to 7 year guess for them.

First, let's look back. The roadster was an impractical car that created exposure and let the earliest adopters touch the product.

The model S has served to be a real proof of concept with a broader high income early adopter population.

The model X will expand the customer base by hitting the SUV and minivan folks (still upmarket and there really is no upmarket minivan).

The 3 series size car will go the the corporate managers who loved the model S the VP has but can't afford that.

The wild card will be the pick up truck and it should be fun to watch Tesla battle in that huge volume arena.

I also can see them doing more with the model S (I believed they already mentioned AWD is coming).

And then they can get back to sports cars and hopefully create the next great American sports car.
I think this is why sales are cooling slightly. Everyone that could afford the Model S (let's be honest, fully loaded, this is S-Class pricing territory) that was interesting in being the first to buy a fully electric sedan has already bought one. Not to say it won't continue to sell well, but the mad rush is over. Of course this happens with any new model from any manufacturer. It's not a sign of disaster or anything close to that. However, they need to broaden their offerings and come out with an SUV and entry level sedan and they will hit a home run with both. In my opinion before offering variants of their current models, they need to focus on the obvious money makers and big sellers - #1 a functional SUV and #2 a functional affordable family sedan. These are already in development so it's only a matter of time before sales skyrocket again. But Tesla is not showing any signs of "cooling off". That suggestion in this article is rather silly.
Old 05-08-14, 10:25 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Exclamation YahooNews

Toyota chalked up a record annual profit and sales above 10 million vehicles for the 1st time, but forecast Thursday a slower year ahead as the momentum from a weak yen fades.

Expenses such as the $1.2 billion penalty it paid in a settlement with the U.S. Justice Department earlier this year for hiding information about defects in its cars dented its profit for January-March quarter, according to Toyota.

Toyota Motor Corp., the world's top automaker, is forecasting a 1.78 trillion yen ($17.5 billion) profit for the fiscal year through March 2015.

That's lower than what the company recorded for the fiscal year just ended, when its profit almost doubled to a record 1.82 trillion yen ($17.9 billion) from 962 billion yen the previous year.

Annual sales jumped 16 percent to 25.69 trillion yen ($252 billion), helped by a weak yen which aids Japanese exporters and thanks to growth in the U.S., Europe, Japan and the rest of Asia. The yen perk is likely transitory as the currency isn't expected to weaken indefinitely.

Toyota believes Japan sales were inflated in recent months as consumers rushed to buy ahead of a tax increase that kicked in April 1, so that such growth won't hold up during the current fiscal year.

Still, the company is on a roll.

The maker of the Prius hybrid, Lexus luxury model and Camry sedan became the 1st automaker to sell more than 10 million vehicles in a 12 month period, with sales totaling 10.13 million vehicles around the world for the fiscal year ended March. It also expects to surpass the 10-million milestone for the current calendar year.

It is expecting solid growth to continue, hoping to sell 10.25 million vehicles globally for the fiscal year through March 2015.

Highlighting the Japanese automaker's ambitions, it noted that extra costs including research and development expenses were a factor in reducing its January-March profit to 297 billion yen ($2.9 billion) from 313.9 billion yen a year earlier.

Quarterly sales rose 12.5 percent to 6.57 trillion yen ($64.5 billion).

It also said costs related to closing its auto plant in Australia cut into profits.

Toyota has bounced back from a massive recall crisis that began in late 2009, which tarnished its reputation.

But there was a moment of deja vu last month when it announced a recall of 6.4 million vehicles globally, for a variety of problems spanning nearly 30 models in Japan, North America, Europe and other places. Some vehicles were recalled for more than one problem.

Toyota has been trying to put the recall mess behind it, with the $1.2 billion settlement it reached with the U.S. Justice Department. It earlier paid fines of more than $66 million for delays in reporting unintended acceleration problems.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration never found defects in electronics or software in Toyota cars, which had been targeted as a possible cause.

Even more of a threat than recalls could be the fierce competition Toyota faces in key global markets from Volkswagen AG of Germany and Hyundai of South Korea, as well as U.S. automakers such as General Motors Co. and Ford Motor Co.

Toyota sold fewer vehicles in North American for January-March at 567,000 vehicles compared to the same period the previous year at 603,000 vehicles.

But it is making up for such losses in other markets.

A weak yen also helped earnings at Honda Motor Co., which last week said that January-March net profit totaled 170.5 billion yen ($1.67 billion), up from 75.7 billion yen the year before.

Honda sold nearly 1.2 million vehicles worldwide during the quarter, also helped by demand ahead of the Japanese tax rise. It is forecasting a 4 percent rise in annual profit to 595 billion yen ($5.8 billion).

Although the dollar soared to about 100 yen during the past fiscal year from about 80 yen the fiscal year before that, it's unlikely to keep rising at that pace, to 120 yen, for instance.

Nissan Motor Co., allied with Renault SA of France, releases results Monday.
Old 05-08-14, 12:03 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

^^ awesome results.
Old 05-13-14, 03:25 PM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Not too surprised by Tesla, they seem to be everywhere. I see around 5 a day , I kid you not.

When I went out to lunch on Saturday I saw 2 in front of the restaurant and 2 others on my way out. All with in a period of an hour...

Prices for used ones are finally under 80k some can be had for 75k. Maybe towards the end of the year or next spring you'll see some under the 70k mark.
Old 05-13-14, 03:35 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Most important for Tesla is to get more sales worldwide... they seem to be doing that right now... last time i checked, they were barely profitable and only due to selling their EPA credits to other makers... once that goes away, and it is going soon, they will need steady sales.
Old 05-13-14, 08:21 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
last time i checked, they were barely profitable and only due to selling their EPA credits to other makers... once that goes away, and it is going soon, they will need steady sales.
they made a profit one quarter, but apart from that, they lose money hand over fist. the stock took a hit after q1's earnings announcement though, so i decided to invest. could be a crazy bad move, but i have to believe they've learned more than anyone about making 'volume' (even if small) electric cars, plus so many other aspects, and it wouldn't surprise me to see one of the big auto makers take a run at buying tesla.
Old 05-14-14, 03:52 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

The TESLA story

Media ; Tesla has confirmed that a 4th car, Model G will be available within 2yrs time

TESLA STOCK RISES by +100% in a single trading day

Last edited by yowps3; 05-14-14 at 11:06 PM.
Old 05-14-14, 04:32 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
they made a profit one quarter, but apart from that, they lose money hand over fist. the stock took a hit after q1's earnings announcement though, so i decided to invest. could be a crazy bad move, but i have to believe they've learned more than anyone about making 'volume' (even if small) electric cars, plus so many other aspects, and it wouldn't surprise me to see one of the big auto makers take a run at buying tesla.
Yep, might be wise investment.

Tesla stock behaves more like tech startup stocks - it really has nothing to do with their performance at all, does seem like "investors" care about them making money, they rather look for future sales and profit and obviously you know how it works in CA, I bet everyone thinks Tesla sells like crazy since they see 10 of them per day :-)

Back to their EPA credits

For low-volume automaker Tesla Motors, the credits represented a substantial contribution to the company’s bottom line. Between 2011 and 2013, Tesla pocketed more than $237 million in credits from sales through this EPA program, as well as through California’s Zero Emissions Vehicle program and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) standards. That’s a significant boost for Tesla, which had total revenue just shy of $2 billion in 2013.

:-)