Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next generation LS: Will Lexus save the best for last?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-14, 11:28 AM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
Two years...not three....
2017-2014 = 3 years, not 2

Originally Posted by cmk1
At least unlike Infiniti's endless promises, Lexus will keep their word and deliver as expected. It is always interesting to see how a company can innovate, while at the same maintaining strict levels of reliability and a different take on luxury. That describes the LS for me. As an objective individual(and former Infiniti owner), with no hardcore favorites, I will say this. The failure of other Japanese brands to be as competitive, results in a poor perception of Japanese luxury and leaves Lexus in some ways, trying to dig out the anchor by itself on a sinking ship.
I never understood this silly argument. Are Cadillac's perceptions molded around Lincoln's failures? Are Audi's shortcomings (and they have many) a reflection on BMW?

If Infiniti and Acura didn't exist, it might even make Lexus look more like the oddball at the party than having them both around and being able to sell more vehicles than the other two brands. I don't think Infiniti or Acura currently not having a proper flagship makes the LS look "poor" or having to dig itself out of any sinking ship, as you call it. Lexus has been rather successful for 25 years with really only 1 hiccup year (2007) that may or may not have slightly tarnished their reputation. But a Lexus hater (and I'm sure there are quite a few) is not going to respect the brand any more or less if Infiniti or Acura is successful or not.
Old 04-30-14, 11:31 AM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lex2InfiN
i think what he meant was 2016 but as a 2017 year model?
Old 04-30-14, 11:47 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by doge
By 2017 MB will have a new S class or facelifted atleast
Yes, the S-class will be preparing to debut its facelift right at the same time. Thank goodness for that too, as the LS is going to bring the heat.

I'm interested to see if Lexus uses any exotic materials...BMW is going crazy with this weight savings crusade.
Old 04-30-14, 02:07 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Mathematically, it's correct BUT a MY 2017 would be released sometime in 2016. Since we are almost mid 2014 it is roughly 2 years away.
Old 04-30-14, 03:01 PM
LexFather

Edit

So sorry I meant 2016 as a 2017 model!!

Old 04-30-14, 04:04 PM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

I thought automakers liked to space out new model releases and it seems to me quiet a few new models are set for a end of 2016 release ( 2017 MY )

For example, the LX 570 was unveiled in April 2007, so i think the next gen might be unveiled sometime in 2016 as a 2017 model....2GX was unveiled in 2009 and since they run for 7 years one would assume the next one is going to be unveiled in 2016 as well as a 2017

Could we see longer model cycles just for the sake of spacing out the release of new models?
Old 04-30-14, 04:07 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather

Edit

So sorry I meant 2016 as a 2017 model!!

Which means it should debut sometime in 2015...
Old 04-30-14, 04:43 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Which means it should debut sometime in 2015...
And prototype mules, camo'd vehicles a year before!
Old 04-30-14, 05:00 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hope they up the horsepower, put in GS driving dynamic! The LS will come out right when my lease is up

on my 7, so I really hope it would be kick *** so I don't have to buy the S class.
Old 04-30-14, 06:56 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
they just released the facelift 12 months ago... so i doubt it would be sooner than 2016 no matter what...
No, they absolutely did not just facelift it merely 12 months ago. That facelift debuted nearly 2 years ago on July 30, 2012 and went into production in August 2012, being on sale from October. We had a thread on here about that (which I started) and saw nothing new last regarding the LS. That's now 21 months ago, but it has now been clarified that it will be 2016. A 10 year run for the XF40 and 4-year run for this, meaning minor changes for MY2015.

I never understood this silly argument. Are Cadillac's perceptions molded around Lincoln's failures? Are Audi's shortcomings (and they have many) a reflection on BMW?

If Infiniti and Acura didn't exist, it might even make Lexus look more like the oddball at the party than having them both around and being able to sell more vehicles than the other two brands. I don't think Infiniti or Acura currently not having a proper flagship makes the LS look "poor" or having to dig itself out of any sinking ship, as you call it. Lexus has been rather successful for 25 years with really only 1 hiccup year (2007) that may or may not have slightly tarnished their reputation. But a Lexus hater (and I'm sure there are quite a few) is not going to respect the brand any more or less if Infiniti or Acura is successful or not.
(Knew it wasn't a good idea to say this) Sorry it came across that way, as I've greatly agreed with your defense of Infiniti on here. Even though I was allowed to see both the Q70 and QX80 facelifts last year, I still haven't seen other upcoming Infinitis and already displeased at how long it took for the Q50(originally V37 G37) and the nonexistent Q60 redesign. I'm generally somewhat impatient to see some results, as one has doubts if they will deliver a genuine flagship and not back out again.

That logic does have validity, as I've experienced it many times firsthand. Already the fact that some people absurdly believe that Japanese luxury brands should not have equal pricing to their competitors and are not "real luxury".

I've never understood why some behave as if Japanese luxury should forever be bargain luxury, thus stifling the investment opportunities in innovation. I only hope that the new LS is priced in a manner, that is at most 10% less than a comparable S-Class. Jaguar for similar, but different reasons suffers with this issue on the XJ.

Last edited by Carmaker1; 04-30-14 at 07:01 PM.
Old 04-30-14, 07:20 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rumors promised the world with the ES and failed. I'm not holding my breath but they should be putting the long life cycle of the current LS to good use and developing a world beating LS for the next one.
Old 04-30-14, 07:48 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

2015's are already coming out. We're talking model years, which have always run before calendar years.
Old 04-30-14, 08:07 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Yes, the S-class will be preparing to debut its facelift right at the same time. Thank goodness for that too, as the LS is going to bring the heat.

I'm interested to see if Lexus uses any exotic materials...BMW is going crazy with this weight savings crusade.
The W222 facelift is already in development, including the next S-Class (planning stages). The former could come as early as 2016, since the W222 launch was originally scheduled for late 2012. Mercedes would've launched the W140 S-Class in late 1989, but ended up with spring/summer 1991 instead. They facelifted it in 1994 and had that facelift already designed by late 1992. They could do similar again and Lexus may end up competing with the facelifted W222 instead.

Originally Posted by UZJ100GXR
I thought automakers liked to space out new model releases and it seems to me quiet a few new models are set for a end of 2016 release ( 2017 MY )

For example, the LX 570 was unveiled in April 2007, so i think the next gen might be unveiled sometime in 2016 as a 2017 model....2GX was unveiled in 2009 and since they run for 7 years one would assume the next one is going to be unveiled in 2016 as well as a 2017

Could we see longer model cycles just for the sake of spacing out the release of new models?
I think that's the case here. They're trying space everything out, but isn't that overkill still with the LC300 and LC180 SUVs coming out in 2016 as well? I just read last year that the Hilux truck is getting a redesign sooner than later. I just saw some spy pics of it on Google.

Originally Posted by G Star
And prototype mules, camo'd vehicles a year before!
Probably not, as prototypes won't be seen 2 years early. If it was early 2016, maybe we'd something soon. If late 2016, nothing will be seen this year at all. At the moment, I don't they've finished designing it yet. The 2007 LS entered production development in 2004 after design work was finalized and from early 2005 we heard insider's commenting on it. By May of 2005, a real design sketch was leaked in MAG-X and photograph in September 2005. Official reveal was in January 2006 (not including LF-Sh). The first LS430 mules were out in May 2005, with the 2007 LS being spotted in October 2005. Lexus has slowed down the development process, so at moment design work been might be critical right now and actively being approved as we speak.

Last edited by Carmaker1; 04-30-14 at 08:17 PM.
Old 04-30-14, 08:39 PM
LexFather

Lexus said they would spread debuts but this year we will see already the 2015 RX and NX and RC... And they are debuting the RC F with the RC... Next year the big thing should be the GS F and the new 4 cylinder...

It also makes sense since the LS and LF-CC might share a few things like the new V-8 F/I.

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Rumors promised the world with the ES and failed. I'm not holding my breath but they should be putting the long life cycle of the current LS to good use and developing a world beating LS for the next one.
The ES is selling incredibly and consumers love it. Sorry if it doesn't meet your internet standards

Old 04-30-14, 11:41 PM
Ando
Driver School Candidate

One thing the next LS really need is smaller engines for countries other than USA and middle east. Here in Indonesia most S class are powered w/ 3.0 or 3.5 liter engine. Most E class are 2.xx engine.

Quick Reply: Next generation LS: Will Lexus save the best for last?