Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota moving from Cali to Plano, Texas

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-14, 05:49 PM
IntegresS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
IntegresS - wish you all the best with your decisions and future!!!! life should be an adventure... if you end up moving somewhere and don't like it, you can always move back. not 'easy', but not impossible either.
Thank you! As a wise man (or woman) once said, "If you don't like something change it; if you can't change it, change the way you think about it."-- I've been spending a lot of time lately changing the way I am thinking about it.

As you mention, if I don't like it after spending two years there, I can always come back. It won't be easy, but it won't be extremely difficult either, and I will only be 33 or 34 years old by that time.

Originally Posted by Och
If you move to Texas with Toyota, you will probably be able to buy a nice home for less than you're paying lease in CA. Good luck.

P.S. I wish I had some connections in TX so that I could move my business out of miserable NYC.
Thank you Cost of living is definitely less out there, and the idea of paying off my student loans once and for all is huge. Definitely leaning more on the "yes I will relocate and stay with Toyota" side.

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Hyundai barely finished their new HQ in FV.
Don't think they'll pack up anytime soon

Unfortunately, it's not new hearing big companies leaving CA.
This is true, I don't see Hyundai moving anytime in the near future, but I can't see them staying in CA forever either =/ The Auto industry seems to be moving away from CA and ... my passion lies within the auto industry ...

For me, it all comes down to choosing a location I love or a job I love. (though, after Toyota sends us on a trip to go check out TX, who knows-- maybe I will also enjoy that location). I've had it good for the past 7 years with Toyota, having both a job in an industry I have passion for, and being able to live in a location that I grew up in and love.

Change isn't always bad though. And again, I cannot stress enough how well Toyota is handling it. So far, the majority I've interacted with ARE considering the move. Prior to finding out more information on Monday, the majority were firmly saying they would not even consider relocating. That speaks volumes about the company, I feel.
Old 04-29-14, 06:56 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by IntegresS
(though, after Toyota sends us on a trip to go check out TX, who knows-- maybe I will also enjoy that location).
a long time ago i lived in north dallas (nr plano). plano wasn't much then, but i have visited since, and it's a vast pretty flat area of business parks, nice residential communities, shopping etc. but i can't overemphasize that it's flat, there's few trees, and it's just not that interesting to look at. plus, they say everything's bigger in texas, well that's certainly true of weather, which is wild. in the short time i lived there, i woke up to 1 inch of ice covering EVERYTHING. i drove through some unbelievably heavy rain and hail. i walked out of the office one day and my car was covered in mud. they explained to me how that happens. but of course there's tons of sunshine and a lot of warm (and hot) sunny days.

i LOVED living in texas. such a spirit of "we can do it!" it was only when i moved away that i realized... "oh yeah, that's what trees, hills, and dark green grass are like."
Old 04-30-14, 10:08 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
And Cali continues to also gain companies. Lets not act like Cali is just losing companies and not gaining any. If you look at the second article I posted a good point is made about the electric car investment in Cali going on.
CA, though, some years ago, tried to mandate a percentage of electric-car sales throuout the state, and the result was a disaster. State-mandate or no, the public just didn't buy them, and the result ended up not only a PR disaster for the state, but also a major embarassment that forced them to change the rules and drop part of that requirement. It also led (indirectly) to GM cancelling the whole Impact pure-electric car program they were leasing through Saturn dealers.

Today, of course, we have somewhat better pure electric-cars than back then (Leaf, Focus Electric, Fiat 500 electric, etc....., and, of course, the superb Teslas. And, just as important, a better electric-charging infrastructure. But, outside of the Teslas, most pure-electrics today still have sufficient range limitations that the public still hasn't embraced them whole-heartedly yet.
Old 04-30-14, 06:51 PM
Yolo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lived in the DFW for a year. It's not that bad but pretty much nothing to do except going to the malls and restaurants.
Old 05-01-14, 08:10 AM
LexFather

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...&mg=reno64-wsj

California City of Torrance Grapples With Toyota Relocation to Texas
Giant Auto Maker Is Moving 3,000 Jobs to New North American Headquarters

By TAMARA AUDI and MIKE RAMSEY CONNECT
April 30, 2014 8:37 p.m. ET
A car rides past Toyota's campus in Torrance, Calif. Orange County Register/Zuma Press
Five weeks ago, Torrance, Calif., Mayor Frank Scotto was celebrating the opening of the city's new athletic fields with officials of Toyota Motor Corp. 7203.TO +2.23% The city's biggest employer and a prime benefactor had given a half-million dollars toward the project.

This week, Mr. Scotto has had a less pleasant duty to perform: Figuring out how Torrance can fill the 101-acre hole the giant auto maker will leave behind when it vacates its sprawling campus and moves 3,000 jobs to a new North American headquarters in Texas.

Toyota's decision to consolidate much of its U.S. operations in Plano, Texas, by 2017, officially announced Monday, caught Mr. Scotto by surprise. Toyota's own employees in Torrance were informed just minutes after the mayor got a courtesy call. State of California officials, too, had been in the dark about the move, which Toyota had been exploring for the past year.

"It was a shock," Mr. Scotto said, though he had heard reports rumoring the move. "We didn't realize the magnitude of what it was."

Torrance Mayor Frank Scotto speaks with reporters after the auto maker announces it is relocating its North America headquarters to Texas. Reuters
Toyota kept its search for a new North America headquarters quiet, according to people familiar with the matter. Even some top-tier executives at the company had no idea the move was coming until just a day before it was announced.

California was never considered in the search for a new headquarters site, these people said, but its location—far from Toyota's other operations in the U.S.—was a bigger factor than its business climate, which has been criticized by some for its high taxes and myriad regulations.

In an email Wednesday, Jim Lentz, chief executive of Toyota's North American operations, said: "The business environment had nothing to do with the decision to leave California."

Mr. Lentz also said he didn't want to have the new headquarters in any location where there already was a divisional headquarters, which put California, Michigan and Kentucky out of the running.

People familiar with the search for the new U.S. headquarters said each of the final locations considered—Atlanta, Charlotte., N.C., Denver and suburban Dallas—had factors the company required: a major airport, good quality of life, relative proximity to Toyota's other U.S. operations, and not in the shadow of Detroit, where America's Big Three auto makers are headquartered.

Another factor: the site had to be near affordable housing and high-quality schools.

Dallas's two airports—particularly Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport—were a key influencer in the final decision, the people said. They will give Toyota employees direct-flight capability to any of its U.S. plants and Japan, while remaining closer to families in California than other hubs like Atlanta and Charlotte.

Mr. Lentz has cited Texas' business-friendly climate, as well as no personal income tax. He also said California wasn't offered an opportunity to counter Texas' offer, saying to do so would have been "disingenuous" since the decision to leave that state had been made.

Neither Gov. Jerry Brown's office nor his office of business and economic development would comment on whether any effort was or would have been made to persuade the company to stay. While Mr. Brown acknowledged some of the challenges businesses face in his state in comments this week, his administration pointed to a number of companies, including Amazon.com AMZN +1.24% and Genentech, that are expanding operations there.

Some critics have said that the decision by Toyota should serve as a wake-up call and urged California to stem corporate departures, attract more businesses, and reduce the cost of living.

"While we are not certain why Toyota is moving jobs, in California, excessive litigation, overregulation, and high taxes are factors for both the employer and the employees in making location decisions," Allan Zaremberg, president and CEO of the California Chamber of Commerce, said in a statement.

Toyota's U.S. sales unit has been based in Southern California since 1957, where it located to be close to the Port of Long Beach, where its cars arrived from Japan. Proximity to Japan was also key because most of its employees then were Japanese. It moved to its 101-acre Torrance campus in 1982.

Toyota has been an integral part of this city of about 150,000 people south of Los Angeles ever since, active in both its philanthropies and schools. One of the city's most popular venues for wedding and birthdays is the Toyota Meeting Hall, a ballroom that is part of the city's cultural center.

City officials are still working to grasp the full impact of the loss, said Fran Fulton, the economic development manager for the city.

According to its latest business-license filing, the auto maker employs 3,929 people in Torrance, and the company pays $1.2 million annually in taxes and fees. Torrance's next-largest employer is rival auto maker Honda Motor Co. 7267.TO +1.60% , with 1,615 employees.

Toyota said it plans to keep about 2,300 workers in other Southern California facilities, working in divisions including design, motor-racing and a parts factory.

The city's first order of business will be to find tenants for the huge Toyota campus, Mr. Scotto said. A list of talking points that the city quickly worked up after the announcement is topped with: "TORRANCE IS A BUSINESS FRIENDLY CITY."

Old 05-01-14, 08:22 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

they are beating around the bush, of course it was due to business climate. They will still have employees there but the HQ will officially be in Texas, no more state corporate income tax on US operations.

DFW is a good airport, primary US hub for american airlines. Atlanta is another primary hub.

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 05-01-14 at 08:25 AM.
Old 05-01-14, 08:34 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
they are beating around the bush, of course it was due to business climate. They will still have employees there but the HQ will officially be in Texas, no more state corporate income tax on US operations.

DFW is a good airport, primary US hub for american airlines. Atlanta is another primary hub.
Because you know more than Toyota and the Wall Street Journal You do realize GA does have a state income tax for example and it was in the running...

Old 05-01-14, 08:46 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

they are beating around the bush, of course it was due to business climate.
Again, not being political, but this is, "of course," not the only issue.

If it was the business climate, other manufacturers such as Hyundai would have never chosen CA as a hub (and we all know Hyundai is frugal enough to have thought about the tax situation).

Toyota is a business, and a very big one at that. It needs to look at all aspects, just like it stated in the article.

Toyota's announcement trumps anyone's simplified theory. It takes a lot of thinking to move a mountain.
Old 05-01-14, 09:02 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Businesses pay taxes in every state that they operate in(that charges such a tax) regardless of where they're headquartered. The amount you pay to each state is apportioned based on percentage of payroll, sales, fixed assets, and rent.

However, they'll now pay LESS to California.
Old 05-01-14, 09:07 AM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
Businesses pay taxes in every state that they operate in(that charges such a tax) regardless of where they're headquartered. The amount you pay to each state is apportioned based on percentage of payroll, sales, fixed assets, and rent.

However, they'll now pay LESS to California.
You are correct. Do you have experience in corporate income tax? In the state apportionment calculation the rent is multiplied by a factor of 8.
Old 05-01-14, 09:34 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 582 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT

If it was the business climate, other manufacturers such as Hyundai would have never chosen CA as a hub (and we all know Hyundai is frugal enough to have thought about the tax situation).

Toyota is a business, and a very big one at that. It needs to look at all aspects, just like it stated in the article.

Toyota's announcement trumps anyone's simplified theory. It takes a lot of thinking to move a mountain.
Yup, wasn't any one factor that did it, but the combination of everything. Sure things were probably weighted differently, but unless you were in that meeting with the execs that made the final decision, everything else is just speculation
Old 05-01-14, 09:35 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Trexus
You are correct. Do you have experience in corporate income tax? In the state apportionment calculation the rent is multiplied by a factor of 8.
I'd forgotten about the rent thing.

I'm a tax accountant. Still have a lot to learn though, just finished my bachelor's degree in December and started at my firm in January.

The only reason I knew the apportionment is because I just did a big PITA return for a business(partnership) that operates in about 7 or 8 states, CA being one of them. Fortunately the majority of their operations are in NV where we don't have state income tax.
Old 05-01-14, 09:57 AM
1111GS

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

TX is def more friendly to businesses than CA. It sucks for those who have to move or lose jobs. If you're from CA, esp. the South, IMO there's nothing interesting to do in TX, nothing! The malls here even in big cities are not even comparable to those in CA. All about work and eat (although not quite as nice/good as LA and SF).
Old 05-01-14, 10:18 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Toyota's U.S. sales unit has been based in Southern California since 1957, where it located to be close to the Port of Long Beach, where its cars arrived from Japan. Proximity to Japan was also key because most of its employees then were Japanese. It moved to its 101-acre Torrance campus in 1982.

Originally Posted by Allen K
Yup, wasn't any one factor that did it, but the combination of everything. Sure things were probably weighted differently, but unless you were in that meeting with the execs that made the final decision, everything else is just speculation
There is also a perception issue with the move from California, and that is the move to be seen as the American operations of a large multi-national company and not just the American branch of a Japanese company. The American operations of this large multi-national (regardless of whether it is Japanese, Korean or Italian), now led by an American (and not a transplanted Japanese national), is now moving away from its parent (sitting in California waiting for the boat to bring stuff from its parent back home in Japan) and into the American heartland. What could be further (both figuratively and literally) from Japan than large, open, pickup-truck-driving Texas?
Old 05-01-14, 10:20 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Most definitely! QFT...

Quick Reply: Toyota moving from Cali to Plano, Texas