Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota moving from Cali to Plano, Texas

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-14, 11:47 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by doge
You your self call this place in appropriate for political discussion yet you are baiting him, is that fair?

Lets be realistic its Nancy and Babs that run the state.
Answering is not baiting

If one wants to discuss the political theories and reasons for the move, do so in the debate forum, not in this thread.

Old 04-28-14, 11:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I agree that moving to TX will save Toyota some of CA's crippling taxes/regulations (and earthquakes). But, without (at the moment) realizing it, Toyota may just be trading one expense for another. Unlike SoCal, which is a relatively dry, semi-tropical climate most of the year, most parts of TX are regularly subject to violent storms of a number of different types that can cause significant damage to company buildings and vehicles.
Old 04-28-14, 12:09 PM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When i first seen this I had to go ask someone from Texas I just hired "would you buy a Toyota truck now" as his surroundings produced the mindset that anything other than a Ford Truck was second rate in Texas which I can only assume has a major market for pickups.

Is this also a strategy for Toyota to tap into the truck market starting with the largest emerging state economy?
Old 04-28-14, 12:14 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by J.P.
When i first seen this I had to go ask someone from Texas I just hired "would you buy a Toyota truck now" as his surroundings produced the mindset that anything other than a Ford Truck was second rate in Texas which I can only assume has a major market for pickups.

Is this also a strategy for Toyota to tap into the truck market starting with the largest emerging state economy?
Toyota's Tundra trucks are made in the San Antonio assembly plant.....you are either a GM, Ford, Chrysler, or Toyota truck buyer. People don't change allegiance just because the company is headquartered there. I see plenty of pickup trucks of all kinds in TX.....Ford has always been strong with their F150 line, but the market is wide open for good vehicles.
Old 04-28-14, 12:21 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

housing market here is on fire, houses that go on the market get sold in a matter of days often OVER asking price. 5000 houses for these relocated families are going to have to appear by the time these people move over.
Old 04-28-14, 12:22 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree that moving to TX will save Toyota some of CA's crippling taxes/regulations (and earthquakes). But, without (at the moment) realizing it, Toyota may just be trading one expense for another. Unlike SoCal, which is a relatively dry, semi-tropical climate most of the year, most parts of TX are regularly subject to violent storms of a number of different types that can cause significant damage to company buildings and vehicles.
they have to deal with the storm of govt 24/7/365 all the time there. Hurricanes are weak by the time they get up to Plano. They get snow and maybe tornadoes. Occasional storm is easy to deal with.
Old 04-28-14, 12:23 PM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say a plant vs HQ is a big difference and could sway peoples perceptions of a brand over the long term when they know a company has an even larger commitment to their community but we can disagree.
Old 04-28-14, 12:23 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Back in the late 80's when the oil companies were under attack for high gas prices (as always), and after the Valdez accident, people were out demonstrating in front of the Exxon Building in Manhattan, then mayor Ed Koch encouraged the demonstrators to 'stick it to Exxon to make their point'. Gee, thanks mayor for your support. For that and other reasons Exxon soon pulled up stakes and moved the corporate headquarters lock, stock, and oil filled barrel to suburban Dallas, and eventually got rid of the New Jersey refinery. Once a place becomes unwelcoming, dangerous, and too expensive to keep and attract people a company will move to a better location.

Exxon saw the light 25 years ago, Toyota is seeing it now. Both NY and CA are financial basket cases, as well as run by individuals who have disdain for capitalism (Gov. Brown, Mayor deBlasio). It's up to the people to get rid of these sorts of people, or whither on the vine. Their choice.

Last edited by Evitzee; 04-28-14 at 12:26 PM.
Old 04-28-14, 12:45 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Occidental Petroleum announced their move to Houston about a month ago and spinning off their Cali assets.
Old 04-28-14, 02:13 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

After recording record sales why would they want to save on taxes and regulations? I hope they are not becoming greedy and ruin its reputation.

I dont like the move. Who the hell wants to move to Plano from So Cal anyway? Lol
Old 04-28-14, 02:38 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^^^

@ your location.
Old 04-28-14, 02:42 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
^^^

@ your location.
Apply cold water, lol.

Does a company have an obligation to stay in a high tax, high regulation state? NO. Every person and company is free to live and operate where they will. Good financial decision making isn't something that no longer needs to be practiced once you've reached success.

California does not deserve Toyota's business.
Old 04-28-14, 02:57 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Makes sense to unify operations at lower cost base... sounds like it could save them enough money to fund one additional lexus/toyota coupe :-)
Old 04-28-14, 03:03 PM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joey-E
After recording record sales why would they want to save on taxes and regulations? I hope they are not becoming greedy and ruin its reputation.

I dont like the move. Who the hell wants to move to Plano from So Cal anyway? Lol
sales don't equate profit. It's not greed it's about being more competitive
Old 04-28-14, 03:09 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Looks like my flights to SoCal for training are going to be a bit longer now. Never been to Texas, exciting.

Quick Reply: Toyota moving from Cali to Plano, Texas