Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota moving from Cali to Plano, Texas

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-14, 02:40 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

a lot of great posts in this thread, good to see a lot of wise and thoughtful people on clublexus. good to see a lot of people here care about the people affected by the move here

Originally Posted by IntegresS
Thank you! As a wise man (or woman) once said, "If you don't like something change it; if you can't change it, change the way you think about it."-- I've been spending a lot of time lately changing the way I am thinking about it.

As you mention, if I don't like it after spending two years there, I can always come back. It won't be easy, but it won't be extremely difficult either, and I will only be 33 or 34 years old by that time.

Thank you Cost of living is definitely less out there, and the idea of paying off my student loans once and for all is huge. Definitely leaning more on the "yes I will relocate and stay with Toyota" side.

This is true, I don't see Hyundai moving anytime in the near future, but I can't see them staying in CA forever either =/ The Auto industry seems to be moving away from CA and ... my passion lies within the auto industry ...

For me, it all comes down to choosing a location I love or a job I love. (though, after Toyota sends us on a trip to go check out TX, who knows-- maybe I will also enjoy that location). I've had it good for the past 7 years with Toyota, having both a job in an industry I have passion for, and being able to live in a location that I grew up in and love.

Change isn't always bad though. And again, I cannot stress enough how well Toyota is handling it. So far, the majority I've interacted with ARE considering the move. Prior to finding out more information on Monday, the majority were firmly saying they would not even consider relocating. That speaks volumes about the company, I feel.
i think you are going to have a great adventure. i think toyota put up a good deal for employees and like you said, give it two years and if anything you can still have plenty of time to make another move.

enjoy the ride!
Old 05-15-14, 03:06 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Ouch Cali Ouch

Toyota Texas Move Seen to Help Economy by $7.2 Billion

Toyota Motor Corp.’s relocation of its U.S. headquarters to Plano, Texas, may bring $7.2 billion of economic activity over 10 years, according to an analysis for the city.

The figure includes $4.2 billion from payroll, along with direct and indirect spending, and sales and property tax revenue, according to the analysis by Grant Thornton LLP, a Chicago-based audit, tax and advisory company. The report was released May 12, when the city, a Dallas suburb, approved incentives for the company.

The world’s largest carmaker, based in Toyota City, Japan, said last month that it would consolidate U.S. sales, engineering and finance operations to Texas, moving jobs from California, New York and Kentucky. By 2018, the company could have 3,650 full-time workers in Plano at an average salary of $104,000, according to the report.

Plano approved $6.75 million of grants for the company, along with discounts on property taxes. The state is offering $40 million of incentives.

Carly Schaffner, a Toyota spokeswoman, said in an e-mail that the company appreciates support from Plano and its residents. The company is ``committed to being a model corporate citizen,'' Schaffner said.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-0...sis-finds.html
Old 05-15-14, 03:12 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

As I mentioned in one of my previous threads....Jerry Brown for Governer..."Hide you Wallet".

It's definetely California's and New York's loss and Texas' gain...
Old 05-15-14, 03:42 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

seems like the 40million incentive texas put in is nothing at all compared to the potential gain
Old 05-16-14, 06:13 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

California issues as many building permits for houses as much as Houston does... Then you wonder why housing is so expensive there, takes a lot to get one started and the supply is constricted. Just a glimpse of the red tape

Old 05-16-14, 04:42 PM
Hoovey689

Default Tesla now California's top automotive employer

Tesla has knocked off Toyota as the biggest auto employer in the state of California, employing over 6,000 people to the Japanese company's 5,300. That lead is only likely to grow, as the EV manufacturer prepares to add another 500 jobs by the end of the year, and as Toyota begins its relocation to its new North American headquarters in Texas. The news comes barely a week after the company announced a $50 million loss during the first quarter of 2014.

Tesla's statewide employment could be set to double, beyond even 6,500 people, if it follows through on rumors to construct its eagerly awaited gigafactory in the Golden State. The $5-billion venture could add another 6,500 employees, making Tesla not just the largest automotive employer in the state, but making it one of the largest employers in the state full stop.

The investment of Tesla and its founder (and real-life Tony Stark), Elon Musk, has been substantial. The company has added 3,000 employees in the state since 2013, reopening the Toyota and General Motors joint-venture factory that use to be known as NUMMI in 2009 and constructing a design studio in Los Angeles, all in addition to its Palo Alto headquarters.
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/05/16/t...tive-employer/
Old 01-21-15, 06:00 PM
Hoovey689

Default Toyota breaks ground on new Texas HQ

Press:

TOYOTA PLOWS FORWARD IN PLANO, BREAKS GROUND ON NEW HEADQUARTERS

PLANO, TEXAS, JAN. 20, 2015 – A V-8 engine growls, and the earth moves.

With the roar of a 2015 TRD Pro Series Tundra, Toyota today formally broke ground on its new North American headquarters at the intersection of Headquarters Drive and Palomino Crossing in Plano, Texas. The Tundra took center stage, bulldozing the first soil on the site of Toyota's new campus in a manner that can only be described as not your traditional groundbreaking ceremony.

"The support and encouragement we've received from the community, civic leaders, business partners and nearby corporations has been nothing short of tremendous," said Jim Lentz, Toyota Motor North America chief executive officer. "Our goal is to build an environmentally-sustainable campus that our new neighbors will welcome and our team members and associates will be proud to call home."

Toyota also unveiled an installation during the ceremony: the word "TOYOTA" in large letters, standing 10 feet tall and 64 feet wide. Inside each letter are native Texan Yaupon Holly trees, which represent "wish" trees, a Japanese cultural tradition. Students from the Plano ISD Academy High School and community participants contributed to the event by adding handwritten notes to the trees representing their wishes, dreams, hopes and inspirations. The notes will be collected from the holly trees and placed into a time capsule at the new headquarters.

The trees will be planted permanently once the Toyota headquarters is completed and will represent the long-standing friendship between Japan and the United States and the Company's commitment to the Plano community.

Plano Mayor Harry LaRosiliere joined Lentz, addressing about 100 dignitaries and Toyota "Pioneers" – team members and associates who have already made the move to North Texas.

"Today's groundbreaking event marks another milestone for the future of Toyota and the future of the City of Plano," he said. "Toyota has already proven to be a great corporate citizen and neighbor, and we look forward to the continued impact they will have not only on Plano but on the whole North Texas region."

"Breaking ground in Plano is an exciting and tangible demonstration of the great progress we are making in bringing our major North American business affiliates and leaders together in one location for the first time," said Mike Groff, President and CEO of Toyota Financial Services. "As we create this best place to work for our people, we will strengthen our ability to put customers first and make a meaningful difference in the communities we are privileged to serve."

Since announcing the relocation last April, Toyota has purchased property; hired a developer (KDC), architect (Corgan Associates) and project manager (JLL), and filed a preliminary site plan with the City of Plano. The Company is now engaged in the design process, and formal construction activity is set to begin in the next several weeks. Completion is expected by late 2016 or early 2017.
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/01/21/t...icial/#image-1
Old 01-22-15, 09:06 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the use of the Tundra to break ground as apposed to your golden shovel.
Old 07-13-16, 10:33 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

A Japan news segment on the construction:
Old 07-14-16, 12:01 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Good news. Ca is one of the worse climate change religion states there is. Way too many restrictions on anything to do with cars, I still don't understand why there are still outfits there that deal with high performance parts etc. That state hates cars and anyother sort of machinery.
Old 07-14-16, 02:59 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
Good news. Ca is one of the worse climate change religion states there is. Way too many restrictions on anything to do with cars, I still don't understand why there are still outfits there that deal with high performance parts etc. That state hates cars and anyother sort of machinery.
Cause it's outdated technology. It really shows how we as humanity are afraid of progress. Whenever there is some innovation there are always excuses why its no good and the first one that come to mind is "its too expensive".

Internal combustion engine should have died a horrible death over a decade ago, it easily could have but big bucks have once again prevailed. We need to really move away from industrial age and we need to move away soon. Product manufacturing automation in heavy industry is still not there yet but it will be in next ten to fifteen years so we are getting there. Less and less people will be tightening up those screws and assembling stuff. Only design, engineering and code will prevail. That's up until machines starts designing and manufacturing other machines as well, and that too is not far away.
Old 07-14-16, 04:26 AM
rudyH
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
Cause it's outdated technology. It really shows how we as humanity are afraid of progress. Whenever there is some innovation there are always excuses why its no good and the first one that come to mind is "its too expensive".

Internal combustion engine should have dixed a horrible death over a decade ago, it easily could have but big bucks have once again prevailed. We need to really move away from industrial age and we need to move away soon. Product manufacturing automation in heavy industry is still not there yet but it will be in next ten to fifteen years so we are getting there. Less and less people will be tightening up those screws and assembling stuff. Only design, engineering and code will prevail. That's up until machines starts designing and manufacturing other machines as well, and that too is not far away.
The California location was offices. No cars were manufactured. Cars are atill being built all over the world. Pollution doesn't stop at borders anyway either globally or by state. Internal combustion engines will be gone soon enough. That's fine. In fact it's good. If you live with the "carbon footprint" of a monk, congrats. Most people don't. Whether you go to Starbucks, buy lemons from another country that used a jet transport or dirty diesel ship, lawn furniture made in another country or fly to another state or country on a jet, you are creating pollution as much as anyone. Check how much water is used in making clothing or beer? You might not believe it. If you think battery materials come out of thin air, you're wrong. Mining of rare elements used in batteries is extremely toxic and is hardly a nice working environment for the miners. All that said, California was stupid as it apparently made zero effort to keep Toyota here. Last thought is who has reduced motor fuel consumption more than Toyota? Tesla? Uh uh.
Old 07-17-16, 02:59 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

http://www.agreenroadjournal.com/201...ive-gases.html
And this goes on all the time all over the earth, and like the article says no one gives a crap about it.

Yet we keep on supporting the Liberal demmm climate religion lies about mineral oil and their infernal combustion engine bs. I sure get tired of coming to sites like this and seeing the same old regurgitated crap that you can see in any establishment news media. Never are the real problems even brought to mind. Only the items that are in the agenda. Their whole agenda is to take stuff from us. And it started with Land in 1976 and absolutely none of you know what I am even talking about, that is how blind everyone is.
Old 07-17-16, 05:54 AM
gqwolf
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
California issues as many building permits for houses as much as Houston does... Then you wonder why housing is so expensive there, takes a lot to get one started and the supply is constricted. Just a glimpse of the red tape

As a Permit reviewer in the DFW area and being familiar with land development on the private side in Houston, I can tell you it is waaaay to easy to get things approved in Houston - and that's not a good thing. Developers are always trying to short cut things and will get away with anything you let them. Length of permit approval may not be the best metric for business success in any City.
Old 07-17-16, 07:52 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
Internal combustion engine should have died a horrible death over a decade ago, it easily could have but big bucks have once again prevailed.
easily could have,huh? replaced by what? electric cars with lousy range? our electric grid likely couldn't have handled all that simultaneous charging either if ice cars disappeared.

it's easy to be a critic without solutions.

Quick Reply: Toyota moving from Cali to Plano, Texas