Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota moving from Cali to Plano, Texas

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-14, 08:00 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Haha, suck it California.
Old 04-28-14, 08:05 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I don't even know why companies insist on conducting business in overcrowded, overpriced places like NYC, SF, Chicago, etc. Good move Toyota.
Originally Posted by J.P.
Often access to talent is why.... I HAD to go open an office in Chicago to get access to more people with the skill sets my companies needed. Didn't have a choice.....
Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Although HQ may move, Torrance will still be a busy hub.

Torrance has the largest Parts & Distribution center, as all export Toyota materials from a single bolt to a whole door panel pass through the Port of L.A. before heading to its U.S. destination.

In other words, Texas will most likely get most of its business/financial/documentation transactions, but California will maintain its supply & materials.

The short answer is critical mass... in any number of factors that make a business work.

The right employees: You have a much greater chance of finding the right employees (especially if you need a skilled or specially educated workforce) in or close to large urban centres. The large urban centres are also more likely to have the institutions that will educate the workforce you are looking for. Toyota Mississippi had a hard time at first finding employees because the right people with the right skills were just not available in the deep South.

Transportation and other infrastructure: Large urban centres are much more likely to be transportation hubs for rail, highways, airport and seaport facilities to bring in supplies, deliver finished goods and bring in customers. Large urban centres are also much more likely to have access to stable power sources and access to stable communications resources (voice and high-speed data).

Similar businesses: Businesses tend to congregate in hubs. The features that attracted your business attract other businesses also. These other businesses could be competitors but they could be suppliers also. Congregations of business helps to keep costs down because they attract people who may become your employees, make it easier and cheaper to construct and maintain the transportation and supplier hubs.
Old 04-28-14, 08:28 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by J.P.
Often access to talent is why.... I HAD to go open an office in Chicago to get access to more people with the skill sets my companies needed. Didn't have a choice.....
I think talent would gladly move if more companies move. I don't think there are many people finding joy in paying $3,000 rents in those cities.
Old 04-28-14, 08:36 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I think talent would gladly move if more companies move. I don't think there are many people finding joy in paying $3,000 rents in those cities.
The trend is working both ways. Downtown Chicago is the fastest growing in the nation.

Take ADM for example its moving it Decauter headquarters to the loop because of a lack of talent.

Motorolla just moved its offices from Libbertyville back to the Loop because the young talent they desires the fun neighborhoods. The old headquarters are 40 miles from the loop.

The reverse commute is now more congested (city to burbs), than the inbound commute.

There are still lots of companies in the suburbs.

Walgreens
Cat
Allstate
Office Max
McDonalds
etc...

Last edited by doge; 04-28-14 at 08:48 AM.
Old 04-28-14, 08:44 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by doge
The trend is working both ways. Downtown Chicago is the fastest growing in the nation.

Motorolla just moved its offices from Libbertyville back to the Loop because the young talent they desires the fun neighborhoods. The old headquarters are 40 miles from the loop.

The reverse commute is now more congested (city to burbs), than the inbound commute.

There are still lots of companies in the suburbs.

Walgreens
Cat
Allstate
Office Max
McDonalds
etc...
There's something pretty amazing about this when you consider 46 murders on Easter weekend alone in the Chicago area. At the same time, I used to travel to downtown Chicago frequently and never felt a sense of personal danger.
Old 04-28-14, 08:50 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
There's something pretty amazing about this when you consider 46 murders on Easter weekend alone in the Chicago area. At the same time, I used to travel to downtown Chicago frequently and never felt a sense of personal danger.
It is amazing, the violence is isolated to just a few bad neighborhoods in the southwest side of town.

You have some neighborhoods that have not experienced a crime like that for years and than you have other where its a weakly occurrence.

Too be fair murder rate/ violent crime rate is down substantially compared to its peak in 2012

Last edited by doge; 04-28-14 at 08:55 AM.
Old 04-28-14, 08:59 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
basically get an instant raise with no state income taxes to pay
Old 04-28-14, 09:08 AM
Ando
Driver School Candidate

That's awesome news. I was a Houstonian when I was in the states. Go Texas!
Old 04-28-14, 09:11 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 582 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
basically get an instant raise with no state income taxes to pay
It depends. If they're being asked to relocate for their job, they'll likely keep their same pay. If they are applying for jobs that are out in TX, they'll likely get the market rate for the area.
Old 04-28-14, 09:22 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Announcement is today at 10 am pacific time... details will trickle out after that I assume.
Old 04-28-14, 09:34 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
It depends. If they're being asked to relocate for their job, they'll likely keep their same pay. If they are applying for jobs that are out in TX, they'll likely get the market rate for the area.
My personal example is moving from Bay Area wages to Atlanta. I got paid 5% more in Atlanta than I did in California. FWIW, I got paid Bay Area wages, not Sacramento wages because I spent most of my time in the south Bay.

At the same time, the wife worked for Lowes in Union City, CA and kept her California wages when Lowes moved us to Atlanta as well.

No guarantees those who choose to move will suffer financially.
Old 04-28-14, 09:40 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

I wouldn't mind a cut in pay to leave CA for a free state. You save a lot of money on taxes as well as cost of living.
Old 04-28-14, 09:49 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
On the news, t think I saw there were 44-46 shootings (vs. murders) over the Easter weekend. Still far too many.
Old 04-28-14, 09:54 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Here is Forbes' take on the move:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/dalebuss...nia-for-texas/
Old 04-28-14, 10:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Doesn't surprise me a bit that Toyota is leaving. California is killing people and buisnesses with over-regulation, taxes, and high costs. That's why Nissan of America got out of the state and went to Tennessee several years ago, and why VW of America set up shop just a few miles from my house here in the Northern Virginia D.C suburbs.

Quick Reply: Toyota moving from Cali to Plano, Texas