Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW i8 thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-14, 11:13 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

For me it's one of those cars where I like it but I don't
Old 10-10-14, 08:10 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default German Tuner Gives BMW i8 an iTRON Makeover

Click here to view more photos

It only exists in digital form right now, but German Special Customs (GSC) plans to release its new BMW i8 styling kit under the iTRON name in the very near future.

While nothing changes in the powertrain department where the i8 makes use of a 1.5L turbo-three and an electric motor to produce 357hp (362PS), the Germans have modified the exterior of the plug-in hybrid with some aggressive looking parts.

These include a redesigned bumper with integrated winglets and additional LED daytime running lights, meatier side skirts, a remodeled hood with twin scoops, and a new rear bumper extra-large exhaust finishers.,

In addition, the i8's narrow wheels (195/50R20 front and 215/45R20 rear) have been replaced with wider tires and a new set of alloy wheels, though, GSC, doesn’t give any more details on that.
http://www.carscoops.com/2014/10/ger...-makeover.html
Old 11-09-14, 08:41 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Tester Concludes That BMW i8 is (Nearly) Ideal for City Driving

All the BMW i8 reviews we’ve seen so far have praised it for its ability to launch itself off the line very quickly, its in-gear punch and the way it looks. They also all penalized it for not being the sharpest thing to drive, coming nowhere near the Porsche 911 in terms of frisky apex hugging.

However, with an all-electric mode, decent economy and the aforementioned in-gear punch and quick takeoff, it does mean the i8 does city driving very well. Or at least that’s what Matt Watson of Carbuyer thinks after having driven the car.

He says that aside from its poor practicality and lack of a usable rear seat, it actually makes sense to drive it in town. Oh, and there’s also the problem with its doors; they can’t be opened if you squeeze the i8 into a really tight parking spot – Peugeot 1008 owners will laugh in your face as you struggle to clamber out…

http://www.carscoops.com/2014/11/tes...is-nearly.html
Old 11-19-14, 05:17 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Lambo Huracan Owner Loves His New BMW i8

Money can’t buy you love but they sure as hell can buy you a lot of cool toys to play with.

We don’t know if Bimmerpost member DoctaM3 has found true love (we hope he has) but his garage features two of today’s most talked-bout supercars.

The first one is a red - or is that orange – can’t really tell form the pic and it doesn’t matter either way – Lamborghini Huracan.

Most of us would be out savoring every moment of the latest raging bull. Not DoctaM3: you don’t have to be a genius to figure out the man loves his BMWs but at the moment he’s very much into the i8.

So much so, that he’s left the Lambo alone and posted a vlog, the first in a series in his own words, of driving Munich's futuristic hybrid, explaining its features and, generally, loving every minute of it – and you can view it right after the break.

http://www.carscoops.com/2014/11/lam...ew-bmw-i8.html
Old 11-27-14, 09:22 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We bring two BMW supercars together on the track - the new i8 and the classic M1.

The new BMW i8 is a futuristic stunner, with a hi-tech duo of an electric motor and petrol engine from the MINI Cooper. Jump back more than three decades and the last mid-engined car to wear a BMW badge was the M1 - which turned just as many heads when it debuted in 1978.

To find out how thirty years of evolution has changed the BMW supercar, we took along a classic M1 to meet the new i8 at the Auto Express test track. The BMW i8 features a 1.5-litre three-cylinder turbocharged petrol from the MINI Cooper driving the rear wheels, while an electric motor drives the front. Under the engine cover of the M1 is something altogether much more traditional: a 3.5-litre six-cylinder unit putting out 277bhp and 330Nm of torque. This compares to 357bhp and 570Nm in the i8.

On the track, the two cars feel very different. We didn't push the M1 too hard due to its age and value - mint examples fetch around £400,000 - but it performed brilliantly around our track. The gearbox has lovely action, the steering is perfectly weighted and the chassis feels perfectly matched to the power on tap.

Jump into the i8 and it feels very futuristic. There's instant power on tap due to the combination of the electric motor and the engine in Sport mode, with a great soundtrack in the cabin - it's even reminiscent of the sound of the M1. There's plenty of grip, too, and the performance is great. It's rather special and doesn't feel like any other BMW.

Both the i8 and M1 are true BMWs at heart. It's not often that BMW breaks the mould and builds a mid-engined car, but when they do, they know how to make their mark.
Old 11-28-14, 11:14 PM
Hoovey689

Default More details emerge on hotter BMW i8S coming next year

In October, Automobile magazine reported that BMW's i brand is working on an i8S that would be stiffer and more powerful, and celebrate the marque's centenary in 2016. At the time, one of two power unit combinations was suggested, either one of them good for more than 500 horsepower.

Car magazine has added more info on the coupe said to be called Project M100, saying that in addition to being a birthday gift for BMW, it will also be a going-away statement to current chairman Norbert Reithofer, who is expected to retire in 2016 or 2017. It will also be so thoroughly reworked that there will be plenty of daylight between it and the standard i8: a more integrated carbon fiber and aluminum chassis, a wider range of materials used in the build, a larger luggage bay due to the omission of rear seats, a more aggressive suspension supporting heartier brakes and wider tires, and - perhaps - a different aero and ground-effects package to be visually different and make the most of the alterations.

As for that power unit, Car says that the two options mentioned by Automobile are still under consideration, being either a 2.0-liter twin-turbo four-cylinder with 320 horsepower and a 204-hp electric motor, or a 3.0-liter straight six with 480 hp and an electric motor with 109 hp. Either choice gets an integrated starter motor good for another 27 hp, and a total torque number of roughly 520 pound-feet, 100 additional lb-ft than the current car. Word is that it will be shown for the centenary in 2016 then go on sale by the end of 2017.
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/11/27/bmw-i8-i8s-details/
Old 12-20-14, 11:41 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

BMW's i8 is definitely a taste of the future -- but whose? We'll shed some light on MPGe, the benchmark for tomorrow's cars. And we run down the Top 5 car tech innovations to watch for in 2015.
Old 01-05-15, 09:32 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Can BMW's new electric superstar keep pace with its performance thoroughbred sibling? Steve Sutcliffe finds out.
Old 01-19-15, 10:27 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts
Default BMW i8 -- how to open door and hood?

honestly, i don't really understand about the hype over this car. i guess it's different, it's cool, but the 100k markup and cars still getting sold like that, i just can't seem to understand the logic

and watching the following video, i can't help but just keep on thinking -- gosh, can they have worse engineering design?!?!

Old 01-19-15, 10:40 AM
Hoovey689

Everytime our BMW dealer gets one in it's already sold. Haven't had a chance to sit or play in one yet
Old 01-19-15, 10:49 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

LOL this was amusing. I think they should have fitted soft closing doors to it so that you dont have to slam it down. The hood is a joke, seeing as how the 12V is in there, and Jeremy kept saying there was no reason to open the hood unless its in the shop
Old 01-19-15, 11:15 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
LOL this was amusing. I think they should have fitted soft closing doors to it so that you dont have to slam it down. The hood is a joke, seeing as how the 12V is in there, and Jeremy kept saying there was no reason to open the hood unless its in the shop
and that emergency door latch release, i still think they should have made it slimmer and smaller!!!!!!

never have to pop the hood, that's about the lamest excuses anyone can come up with...
Old 01-19-15, 11:48 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

These are just the mechanical backups, normal opening mechanisms are electronically released.
Old 01-19-15, 11:50 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
and that emergency door latch release, i still think they should have made it slimmer and smaller!!!!!!

never have to pop the hood, that's about the lamest excuses anyone can come up with...
If they made it slimmer and smaller they'd probably have lawsuits on people that claimed they couldn't get out of a car in an emergency.

In the Cadillac CTS coupe (outgoing model) the mechanical override was a pretty ugly lever down by the floor.

Old 01-19-15, 11:56 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Omg this is ridiculous :/

Quick Reply: BMW i8 thread