Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

S Class 65 long,Bentley Mulsanne、Rolls Royce (Phantom,Ghost,Wraith)

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-14, 12:05 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i guess the only question is do you need or are you able to use the power, or if s600 is enough to "suffice" for a bit discounted price
Old 09-24-14, 02:17 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i guess the only question is do you need or are you able to use the power, or if s600 is enough to "suffice" for a bit discounted price
Very true. I don't think I will ever need or even use that much power. I was so close to getting a C63 AMG when I was looking at the IS-F, but ended up with the IS-F. A freind of mine bought the C63 and that exhaust note sounded so good. I love the way AMG are able to give you that slepper feel but still sound like it has some *****.

Henry, you are making me second guess myself!
Old 09-24-14, 11:25 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

I have done extensive test drives in 2 Ghost's. These cars are perfect at what they are designed for! Silent in operation unless you summon the far more than "adequate" power that astonishes the driver at how effortlessly it builds speed. Much advanced from the previous gen Phantom. The Ghost feels devoid of friction in any movement inside or out.
Had a shorter drive in a Bentley Mulsanne & it was not as impressive. It felt bigger to drive. I prefered the older Bentleys over RR of similar years, but this admitedly short drive seemed to indicate the table had turned.
Have not driven a new S class but the previous gen S65 was a better driver car than the rest on your list mostly due to lower weight. It has alot of driver aids to artificialize the feel & control, but they work well. I'm a Panamera Turbo kinda guy myself.
Old 09-24-14, 11:50 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
Very true. I don't think I will ever need or even use that much power. I was so close to getting a C63 AMG when I was looking at the IS-F, but ended up with the IS-F. A freind of mine bought the C63 and that exhaust note sounded so good. I love the way AMG are able to give you that slepper feel but still sound like it has some *****.

Henry, you are making me second guess myself!
hahha well i do try to save my friends a few bucks here and there

if i were in the position to get such a car today, personally i would debate between the s63 and s600. s63 is louder, more aggressive on driving (sportier), while s600 is smoother, more luxurious, but look wise not as good as s63 imho.

it's completely my personal opinion, but i think s65 is more like just a statement of "i can"
Old 09-24-14, 01:10 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

it's completely my personal opinion, but i think s65 is more like just a statement of "i can"
It's completely my personal opinion, but I think the Wraith is more like just a statement of "Yeah, I fu*king can!"
Old 09-24-14, 02:01 PM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if i were in the position to get such a car today, personally i would debate between the s63 and s600. s63 is louder, more aggressive on driving (sportier), while s600 is smoother, more luxurious, but look wise not as good as s63 imho.

Can the 600 be outfitted with the AMG package ? It would be the perfect compromise.
Old 09-24-14, 02:40 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by doge
Can the 600 be outfitted with the AMG package ? It would be the perfect compromise.
to be honest i never checked. i know on the w221 it was not possible, thus all s600 look dull. but on the w220 i have seen quite a few s600 with sports package
Old 09-24-14, 02:53 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

As much as I love the RR and the Bentley I would buy the S65. Its WAY more well rounded and will put a smile on your face when you drive it. The other 2 will put smiles on the faces of the people who see them. Depends what you like and value more. Best of luck, and many happy miles to you buddy
Old 09-27-14, 03:38 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

I am considering the S63, but the S65 just has so much more to offer. Plus the price difference is not as great as you would think @ about $50K here.

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
As much as I love the RR and the Bentley I would buy the S65. Its WAY more well rounded and will put a smile on your face when you drive it. The other 2 will put smiles on the faces of the people who see them. Depends what you like and value more. Best of luck, and many happy miles to you buddy
Thanks. Still deciding what I want to do.
Old 09-28-14, 01:22 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

S65 is more practical and can "blend in" better in traffic.

But I just chatted with my client who owns S65, RR Ghost and Bentley GT.

He prefer to drive the Ghost way more than other cars.
Old 09-28-14, 05:30 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Well, I went to another Benz dealer today and the manager was adamant that I would be happy with the AMG S63. They have a demo car that they will be bringing to my office when it is next free. Apparently it is at some display in Osaka.

Originally Posted by blacksc400
S65 is more practical and can "blend in" better in traffic.

But I just chatted with my client who owns S65, RR Ghost and Bentley GT.

He prefer to drive the Ghost way more than other cars.
Interesting about the Ghost, most people I have spoken to tell me the Ghost will not be as fun as the AMG. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-28-14, 10:32 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Are you only interested in 4 door sedans? You said you would be the driver and wanted a drivers car, what about a Bentley Continental GT coupe or the new S class coupe. The new S class coupe is very big and has plenty of sedan like room for passengers.

If you only want a sedan then for me it would be the Bentley Mulsanne. There is something about that old world luxury and pure craftsmanship with its interior I like. If I could afford one why not, you are unlikely to see another one on the road so it will be a totally unique experience as opposed to the S class sedan where you will likely see them every now and then even in Japan, I don't really dig that big speedometer/gauge screen on the S class either nor is its attention to detail/craftsmanship near the top end Bentley.