Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Don't be swayed by HP figures....Torque is what really counts.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-14, 11:28 PM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Schauberger works on the principle of a twister or whirlpool and is thus an implosion engine as opposed to the explosion (compressor) engines we know. Except for the electric motor which is not an independant engine, all the engines we know depend on fire (combustion) and as Ernst Heinkel (who had a jet aircraft up in the air in 1939) said, are basically compressors, the Schauberger however not. Schauberger's patents were bought out by American companies under severe secrecy clauses. One can imagine the chaos it would cause if an engine appears on the market that replaces a trillion dollar industry.
The Schauberger engine has tremendous torque, although speed variation might be a problem.
Not that we are disloyal to our beloved thunder wagons, but it's time to cast our eyes to new horisons. Had a look at that car last year that Karl Benz built in 1886, in the Mercedes museum in Stuttgart and it is amasing what he did to get the torque of his internal combustion engine, multiplied. Irony is that we haven't progressed as far as we think since that contraption, we actually just refined it. Let's hope our great grand children can say otherwise.

Last edited by nipponbird; 05-03-14 at 12:09 AM.
Old 05-03-14, 04:47 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I've been on that hill, and the trucks there really struggle, even with all their torque. However, I think the drivers are far more concerned with their brakes when it comes to steep grades like that - if the compressor is not keeping up and air brakes lose pressure, it can be a disaster.
Air brakes don't work like you see in the movies. The actual brakes are applied by very powerful springs, and the air pressure compresses these springs using a diaphragm, which releases the brakes and allows the vehicle to move. In order to apply the brakes and slow the vehicle, air is bled out of the diaphragm to reduce the pressure, which allows the springs to apply some force to the brake shoes.

If you lose ALL air pressure to a wheel, that wheel will lock up, because there is nothing restraining the springs. Still not the best condition to be in (skidding can still cause a loss of control), but not the runaway semi we've all been lead to believe occurs when the bad guy cuts the air hoses.
Old 05-03-14, 08:55 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Depends on the driving conditions. Most American drivers (and the majority of those reading this thread will probably be Americans) tend to prefer throttle response at low RPMs, as opposed to many Europeans, who tend to wind out their powerplants more into the peak-HP range. Throttle response at low RPM is generally more of a torque function than HP.
Hmm.......is there any reason why this is the case?

Also, another related question:
Look at the tachometer of the new Bentley Mulsanne

How come the tachometer only indicates a maximum of 5,000 RPM..........when this car is not even a diesel? (in fact, it's a 6.3 liter twin-turbo V8 engine that runs of unleaded fuel)
Old 05-03-14, 09:34 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Blackraven

How come the tachometer only indicates a maximum of 5,000 RPM..........when this car is not even a diesel? (in fact, it's a 6.3 liter twin-turbo V8 engine that runs of unleaded fuel)
Not my call, just a comment in the same vain:I've to visit Europe regularly and what I see especially in Germany, is that they do like to accelerate faster than in most other countries. Almost sprinting. Then they have of course the Autobahn, but on just about 16% of it, there's no speed limit. You can drive there in the slow lane, bone fide and minding your own business, just to have the living daylights scared out of you, when a German blasts pass you in a Porsche at seemingly 200kmh. Revs can't be low in such a case.

Last edited by nipponbird; 05-03-14 at 09:42 AM.
Old 05-03-14, 11:47 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Probably for sound insulation purposes. I never driven this car, but I'm willing to bet that you can't even hear the engine. They probably limited RPM so that the car never gets even remotely loud.
Old 05-03-14, 01:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

The average European driver (or driver in any other county, for that matter), doesn't drive a Bentley or Rolls. I agree with Och....comfort and sound-isolation is probably an issue. That, combined with the fact that the enormous torque in the average Bentley/Rolls engine doesn't need RPMs, even if the average European is used to having them.

Look at the tachometer of the new Bentley Mulsanne. How come the tachometer only indicates a maximum of 5,000 RPM..........when this car is not even a diesel? (in fact, it's a 6.3 liter twin-turbo V8 engine that runs of unleaded fuel)
See my reply just above.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-03-14 at 03:11 PM.
Old 05-03-14, 02:57 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

The 6.3L V8 is 787.5 cc per cylinder, which is a very large capacity per cylinder.
A 2.0L in-line four is only 500 cc per cylinder.
787.5 cc per cylinder is the equivalent of a 3.15 liter four cylinder! A big four cylinder.

Thus the reciprocating mass becomes very heavy, such that it is not willing to rev as much as smaller capacity engines.
Furthermore, the large capacity per cylinder has less surface area to volume ratio, such that the ratio between the surface area for the valves is relatively smaller, hence less high speed breathing, resulting in a lower red line.

Here, probably the greatest factor for a 4,500 rpm red line is possibly the turbo.
Because turbos work over a very narrow rpm band.
They have probably designed the turbo to kick in at low revs for instant response, and not much of a flat spot down low, but the price to pay is that the turbo quickly runs out of breath at the top end, hence the lower red line...
Old 05-04-14, 04:10 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by peteharvey
The 6.3L V8 is 787.5 cc per cylinder, which is a very large capacity per cylinder.
A 2.0L in-line four is only 500 cc per cylinder.
787.5 cc per cylinder is the equivalent of a 3.15 liter four cylinder! A big four cylinder.

Thus the reciprocating mass becomes very heavy, such that it is not willing to rev as much as smaller capacity engines.
Furthermore, the large capacity per cylinder has less surface area to volume ratio, such that the ratio between the surface area for the valves is relatively smaller, hence less high speed breathing, resulting in a lower red line.

Here, probably the greatest factor for a 4,500 rpm red line is possibly the turbo.
Because turbos work over a very narrow rpm band.
They have probably designed the turbo to kick in at low revs for instant response, and not much of a flat spot down low, but the price to pay is that the turbo quickly runs out of breath at the top end, hence the lower red line...
Hmm.........I guess that makes sense.

Initially though, I wondered then as to how GM was able escape this (since they employ 6.0-63 liter V8 engines). Plus, that SRT Viper has an 8.4 liter V10 engine.

But yeah, I think this is where your post regarding turbochargers comes into play.

And now I understand especially when looking at the torque figures for the Mulsanne.

Mulsanne 2010– 6,752 cc (412.0 cu in) V8 twin turbo 512 PS (377 kW; 505 hp)@4200, 1,020 N·m (752 lb·ft)@1750 RPM
All of it starts way down low haha.