Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Nissan Self-Cleaning Nano Paint

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-14, 12:18 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Nissan Self-Cleaning Nano Paint

Official Press:

Nissan develops first "self-cleaning" car prototype

Nissan tests innovative nano-paint technology which repels dirt
European model Nissan Note is first car to trial paint which could make car washes obsolete
Potential aftermarket application being investigated by Nissan engineers in Europe

ROLLE, Switzerland – Washing a car can be a chore – and a costly one at that. In response, Nissan in Europe has begun tests on innovative paint technology that repels mud, rain and everyday dirt, meaning drivers may never have to clean their car again.

The specially engineered super-hydrophobic and oleophobic paint, which repels water and oils, has been applied to the all-new European market Nissan Note to create the world's first self-cleaning car.

To assess the real-world effectiveness of the super-hydrophobic as a potential aftermarket application, engineers at Nissan Technical Centre Europe will be testing the self-cleaning Note over the coming months in a variety of conditions.

Nissan is the first carmaker to apply the technology, called Ultra-Ever Dry®, on automotive bodywork. By creating a protective layer of air between the paint and environment, it effectively stops standing water and road spray from creating dirty marks on the car's surface.

So far, the coating, which is being marketed and sold by UltraTech International Inc®, has responded well to common use cases including rain, spray, frost, sleet and standing water. Whilst there are currently no plans for the technology to be applied to the model as standard, Nissan will continue to consider the coating technology as a future aftermarket option.

"The Nissan Note has been carefully engineered to take the stress out of customer driving, and Nissan's engineers are constantly thinking of new ways to make families' lives easier," said Geraldine Ingham, Chief Marketing Manager for Nissan Note. "We are committed to addressing everyday problems our customers face and will always consider testing exciting, cutting edge technology like this incredible coating application."
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/04/24/n...ar-nano-paint/
Old 04-25-14, 12:25 AM
monkey92
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

this is pretty cool, but i wonder how this would affect the guys who detail cars.
Old 04-25-14, 12:34 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by monkey92
this is pretty cool, but i wonder how this would affect the guys who detail cars.
Until they come out with an interior teflon coating, detailers can still clean the interior
Old 04-25-14, 01:43 AM
GSthe4th
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This is fantastic (especially for my northwestern people here in the states). Now regarding dust...
Old 04-25-14, 04:55 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

Wonder about bird crap or when somebody eggs my car, especially if the crap or egg land on top of the car where it may not flow down as easily
Old 04-25-14, 04:58 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

pretty cool.. you guys need this up north badly
Old 04-25-14, 07:35 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is the stuff that I wonder about from these

What if you spray these on your car ? the same effect. Cheaper as well
Old 04-25-14, 07:39 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

And that is exactly what Nissan did....they just bought or in alliance with this company for that self cleaning paint. Wonder if it just work, by spraying on top of your car LOL
Old 04-25-14, 08:04 AM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 559 Posts

So Rain-X for paint?
Old 04-25-14, 08:07 AM
SPRIGGAN13
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awhile back i read that NISSAN had invented a self healing paint that when scratched would fix itself... Now this... Crazy
Old 04-25-14, 08:38 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Whitigir
And that is exactly what Nissan did....they just bought or in alliance with this company for that self cleaning paint. Wonder if it just work, by spraying on top of your car LOL
Well, from what I can tell the coating in itself doesn't have a clear coat shine. A gallon of this stuff costs over $500. I don't think I'd try to apply it myself so I'd be perfectly fine with it being part of the factory coat. And the press release says clearly that Nissan is the first to apply this tech to cars... not that they developed it. I'm sure that it has to be specially developed to work on a car's finish. For example will it last indefinitely or will it need to be refreshed over time?
Old 04-25-14, 08:49 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

But if this works, and last for like up to a year, it would be ways better than Washing and Waxing....just save more times and very conveniences
Old 04-25-14, 09:33 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

But if this works, and last for like up to a year, it would be ways better than Washing and Waxing....just save more times and very conveniences
I guess so but I'd be scared to death to apply this on my Lexus myself.
Old 04-25-14, 11:06 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Even so, it's a brilliant idea. Buying a already finished product and applying it
Old 04-25-14, 11:24 AM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SPRIGGAN13
Awhile back i read that NISSAN had invented a self healing paint that when scratched would fix itself... Now this... Crazy
Yea, what ever happened to that? This was few years ago they mentioned the self-healing paint and then you never heard anything about it afterward. I wonder what's going on with that.

Quick Reply: Nissan Self-Cleaning Nano Paint