Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Will keeping car below 2000rpm improve MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-14, 12:13 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will keeping car below 2000rpm improve MPG?

Will keeping my 120hp 1.8L 4-cyl car below 2000rpm guarantee good MPG?
Old 04-25-14, 12:22 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Under 2K is kinda low, but you will definitely improve your MPG under 2K. I wouldn't drive at that low RPM though.
Old 04-25-14, 02:01 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cino
Under 2K is kinda low, but you will definitely improve your MPG under 2K. I wouldn't drive at that low RPM though.
The thing is that these 1.8L eceonoboxes are so underpowered that you feel guilty when you take them above 3000rpm. They're thrashy and can't pull ******#t.

This is the curve of the vehicle I'm talking about..

I'd imagine at 2000rpm or below it just uses fuel mists

My only concern is that driving below 2k rpm the torque converter may not lock up, and that certainly will not help MPG..

Last edited by yowps3; 04-25-14 at 05:29 AM.
Old 04-25-14, 03:03 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 204 Likes on 155 Posts

From the graph, looks like you should be shifting around 3500 for best mpg. Revs much below 3000 are lugging the engine, which is very bad for fuel economy.

Depends on the gearing, but if you get a 5-700 rpm drop on an upshift, doing so at 3500 would just take you down to where the torque peak starts. Obviously when cruising at constant speed you'd want as low an RPM as possible, but when accelerating you want to be in the meat of the torque curve.
Old 04-25-14, 04:23 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

You'll definitely get better MPG keeping revs below 2000rpm. It's not the torque curve that you want to look at, but rather the BSFC curve, except that these are proprietary and rarely published except in SAE white papers. Peak BSFC on most engines (brake specific fuel consumption, by the way) typically peaks on most petrol engines from what I've seen at or below the 3000rpm range. The most amount of power that can be produced with the least amount of fuel possible. Of course, keeping it below 2000 means you're hardly ever touching the gas, which is the most efficient way to drive. Yeah, trickier to do with an automatic. It's counter-intuitive, but the best mileage I ever got in my old 1999 Maxima with a 5-spd manual was using heavy amounts of throttle, but short-shifting it at some stupidly low RPMs like just over 2000 or something. Heavy throttle plus low RPMs is exactly where peak efficiency is, as you're maximizing the power the engine can make at the lowest RPM possible where the losses from friction are also the lowest. Less fuel needed floating an engine at a higher RPM than necessary or to overcome higher amounts of friction means that fuel can go into creating power instead. They're trying to build this into modern cars with the latest automatic transmissions and electronic throttle controls.

You have less control with an automatic transmission so you pretty much have to drive within the mapping of the transmission. Like when the torque converter will lockup, and at what speeds it will actually go into top gear so you can coast the best.
Old 04-25-14, 04:24 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
From the graph, looks like you should be shifting around 3500 for best mpg. Revs much below 3000 are lugging the engine, which is very bad for fuel economy.
Really? I find that hard to believe given automatic transmission programming that races to the top gear in most cars with an "eco" mode.
Old 04-25-14, 04:32 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah. That's not true. Keeping the engine as loaded as possible at the lowest RPM it can in the highest gear possible is precisely the way to achieve best efficiency (while under load), and is how most automatic transmissions are mapped in their "normal" modes.
Old 04-25-14, 04:35 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

lower the rpm and lower the acceleration, less fuel you use.
Old 04-25-14, 05:36 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
You'll definitely get better MPG keeping revs below 2000rpm. It's not the torque curve that you want to look at, but rather the BSFC curve, except that these are proprietary and rarely published except in SAE white papers. Peak BSFC on most engines (brake specific fuel consumption, by the way) typically peaks on most petrol engines from what I've seen at or below the 3000rpm range. The most amount of power that can be produced with the least amount of fuel possible. Of course, keeping it below 2000 means you're hardly ever touching the gas, which is the most efficient way to drive. Yeah, trickier to do with an automatic. It's counter-intuitive, but the best mileage I ever got in my old 1999 Maxima with a 5-spd manual was using heavy amounts of throttle, but short-shifting it at some stupidly low RPMs like just over 2000 or something. Heavy throttle plus low RPMs is exactly where peak efficiency is, as you're maximizing the power the engine can make at the lowest RPM possible where the losses from friction are also the lowest. Less fuel needed floating an engine at a higher RPM than necessary or to overcome higher amounts of friction means that fuel can go into creating power instead. They're trying to build this into modern cars with the latest automatic transmissions and electronic throttle controls.

You have less control with an automatic transmission so you pretty much have to drive within the mapping of the transmission. Like when the torque converter will lockup, and at what speeds it will actually go into top gear so you can coast the best.
Unfortunately the vehicle I'm talking about has a 4-speed auto.

But when I drive manual I know what you mean, short shift to keep RPMs as low as possible. So much control that you just don't get with auto.
On the hwy there's not much you can do to improve MPG other than not revving above 2500rpm or so.

But around town my theory is to keep it below 2000rpm all the time.
Old 04-25-14, 06:30 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Technically the peak efficiency point of the engine in terms of BSFC might be between 2000-3000rpm if not higher on some engines, but keeping it below 2000 means you're never burning almost any fuel which can lead to better efficiency too, even if it's not the most efficient point of the engine. Yes it's quite limiting with a 4-speed auto. One thing I've come to appreciate with CVTs or 8-speed autos is that they do do an excellent job of keeping the revs planted firmly at low RPMs. There's no need to rev the engine up such that when you upshift you're still making a reasonable amount of power. The modern automatics save you from having to rev up to 3k or more if you just need to stay above 2k to make the needed power. Now they can shift at 2200-2500 to stay above 2k with a lot more gears to play with. No power is lost due to extra friction at 3000 vs 2500 or less.
Old 04-25-14, 06:52 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd leave yourself a lot of extra time to get where you are going....
Old 04-25-14, 06:54 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
The thing is that these 1.8L eceonoboxes are so underpowered that you feel guilty when you take them above 3000rpm.
guilty? bwahaha when i recently drove a 1.2L 3cyl skoda, i enjoyed thrashing the engine. sounded like a 4 stroke golf cart (with less torque ) but fun...
Old 04-25-14, 08:02 AM
LexFather

One of the reasons for cars with all these gears is so they churn under 2000 RPM on the highway for cruising. Its one of the reasons the new C7 Vette with 445hp makes I believe 28 MPG on the highway. When I drove it in 7th at 80mph it was under 2000 RPM and if you floored it, it took forever to get up to any speed.

At low speeds driving around under 2000 RPM could be dangerous as the car would not be responsive at all to engine inputs. There is no way a 4 or 5 speed automatic car will be geared for under 2000 RPM for city driving. I believe the new Honda Fit makes 120hp or so but at 80MPH its at over 3000 RPM which means its burning fuel.

If your car makes 120hp PEAK, that means most of the time it doesn't and your MPG is pretty much as good as it will get. I am unaware of any 120hp car or so with 7-9 gears where you would be burning no fuel at all lol

Old 04-25-14, 09:00 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think: Cruising = lowest rpm for better MPG, Accelerating = In the mid torque range for the best Accel and MPG. That is how I drive my manual anyways
Old 04-25-14, 10:59 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

my v8 explorer is at 1900rpm at 75mph.

Quick Reply: Will keeping car below 2000rpm improve MPG?