Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

how long until car keys / fobs are history?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-14, 02:40 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

How long has it been since you've changed the battery in your key? It doesn't take long for it to discharge to the point where the system starts being lethargic.
Old 04-24-14, 02:42 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
How long has it been since you've changed the battery in your key? It doesn't take long for it to discharge to the point where the system starts being lethargic.
I should check it again, thanks for the reminder. However, I recall the last time I changed it there was still the delay. What I've noticed is the position of my body when I'm standing next to the door handle. If I'm angled off to the slightest, it won't work.
Old 04-24-14, 02:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah thats what is improving. My Jeep is that way, you have to adjust your body in the right way to get it to realize you're there. Don't have that issue with the Lexus though.

I don't recall it being as bad on the ES either. Maybe its because the ES and GS have smart access on all 4 doors? My Jeep like your IS just has it on the front doors.
Old 04-25-14, 01:36 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Yeah thats what is improving. My Jeep is that way, you have to adjust your body in the right way to get it to realize you're there. Don't have that issue with the Lexus though.

I don't recall it being as bad on the ES either. Maybe its because the ES and GS have smart access on all 4 doors? My Jeep like your IS just has it on the front doors.
That's got to be it. There's just not enough "sensing" going on.
Old 04-25-14, 02:22 AM
GSthe4th
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Marklouis
I think Key fobs or any other unlocking devices/apps can be eliminated all together, even for the econo cars.

I believe we are taking the capabilities of modern technology for granted. Instead of repeating the process of figuring ways to make smarter key/fob/phone unlocking methods, how about making smarter cars

What if you can just walk up to your car, and it recognizes you. Your heart rate, temperature, height, size, face - Voice even? Say "aufschließen!" there are many common sensor techs that can work. how about you get close enough and wave your hand or gesture in a combination of ways to unlock your vehicle? trunk? roll down the windows? Just think of the X-Box Kinect integrated - Not too farfetched.

We all want less accessories to carry and worry about, and eliminate the risks for hacking altogether, so lets add the unlocking accessory on the vehicle instead.
You sound like you are working on something, like you're an IBM'er! I like your thought process, but for me, currently, I'll keep my key fob and keys. Technology is highly abusable!
Old 04-25-14, 07:44 PM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I should check it again, thanks for the reminder. However, I recall the last time I changed it there was still the delay. What I've noticed is the position of my body when I'm standing next to the door handle. If I'm angled off to the slightest, it won't work.
Sounds like there's something not right with your car's sensors and/or electronics. My '06 IS door locks have responded to finger touch instantaneously nearly every single time since the day I bought it (new). I sold the car to my neighbor just last month, and I'm sure it's still OK or I'd have heard about it by now.

-Mike
Old 04-26-14, 06:03 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I say just keep it simple. Simple as in Smart key with a slide out hard key and/or credit card style back up. The question is is there really a need to make all these changes to the system today? How much more secure will it be over a pretty secure system now? Is the integration pains(cell phone software) worth it? Cost of system failure. At the rate of how cell phones are lost these days, i cant imagine having to borrow someones cell phone just to call AAA so they can unlock your car maybe, then you have to worry about getting it started or towed all because of no cellphone. To much primary responsibility is being put on these devices that can be lost/stolen in a heartbeat. It can be an added feature to use but keep the primary system simple and secure. We have gotten too lazy to twist a key nowadays. smh
Old 04-26-14, 07:40 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
To much primary responsibility is being put on these devices that can be lost/stolen in a heartbeat.
because people never lose keys...
Old 04-26-14, 08:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

This has always been the argument against new technologies. "Why can't you just turn the key?", "if you want to take a picture, what's the big deal about carrying a camera and a phone?"

Technology moves ever forward.
Old 04-26-14, 08:54 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

This has always been the argument against new technologies. "Why can't you just turn the key?", "if you want to take a picture, what's the big deal about carrying a camera and a phone?"

Technology moves ever forward.
yup. i have client who still want to burn files to a cd and the first question they ask after getting a new ipad is "how do i print?" seriously?
Old 04-26-14, 08:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yep, I see it all the time! I have a coworker who has an iPhone. When he got it I offered to set up our corporate email on it for him...he was like "why would I want to get email on my phone?" Why do you even have an iPhone?!?