Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW Vision Future Luxury Concept Previews Next 7-Series Flagship Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-15, 12:07 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26
Maybe it will look better once it is officially unveiled? I recall a lot of people thought the same with the new S-Class when spy shoots were leaked.
Yup valid point.

Anyways, as I've said earlier, from pre-release pics, I do like it for what it is.

With that said:
We may see better pics from official release as well a motor show debut (probably IAA 2015 or maybe even earlier)

I'm looking out for the 760Li with M Sport Package
Old 01-01-15, 12:10 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The rendering was pretty close.

No comments on the holy wheel gap batman?
Old 01-01-15, 12:18 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
No comments on the holy wheel gap batman?
My guess is that the spacers are only used for transporting the vehicle or for logistics purpose. I don't think the final car will have such a wheel gap.

Anyways, the leaked pics are just an outside preview based on one configuraiton of the the G11/G12. Spy pics may only represent just one angle of what is a bigger picture.

The Lexus 4GS was lambasted when spy pics came out.......yet when official pics were released, people's opinions generally improved. The S-class W222 also faced this kind of scrutiny as well......but when it came out, it was praised as the best flagship ever stuff like that.

The lesson is: Wait for official pics and real-life photos & first-hand inspection before making any judgment
Old 01-01-15, 02:27 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Maybe it will look better once it is officially unveiled? I recall a lot of people thought the same with the new S-Class when spy shoots were leaked.
Originally Posted by Blackraven
My guess is that the spacers are only used for transporting the vehicle or for logistics purpose. I don't think the final car will have such a wheel gap.

Anyways, the leaked pics are just an outside preview based on one configuraiton of the the G11/G12. Spy pics may only represent just one angle of what is a bigger picture.

The Lexus 4GS was lambasted when spy pics came out.......yet when official pics were released, people's opinions generally improved. The S-class W222 also faced this kind of scrutiny as well......but when it came out, it was praised as the best flagship ever stuff like that.

The lesson is: Wait for official pics and real-life photos & first-hand inspection before making any judgment
That is not true at all (at least for W222). The 4GS spy photos were much worse than this if I remember in being blurry and heavily edited to obscure the setting. That was merely a pre-production GS350 (no longer a prototype) and thankfully very last-minute anyway. In this case, Schipol has not been even edited out and BMW has many months to go. The W222 (V222 S500L) when it is was first spied (fully undisguised) on March 18, 2013, was met with plenty of applause and also wonderment from MB's own interior leak. Just under two months from a full unveiling that May, not 6-8 months.

Then again, it was already fully prepped for a video shoot and had to shine in that moment, unlike the 730d below. The G11 730d was not even entirely out in the open, so getting good angles in that time wasn't even possible. Regarding the interior, these are even better photos than what was shown of the F01 7-Series (interior mock-up) 3 months before its July 2008 press release.

Even months to years before that, its prospects looked great from minor leaks (clay and scale models, descriptions, dead-on renders). The only areas of complaint, surrounded the spied interior of an early W222 prototype in the 2011 and early 2012, and silliness over fender flares. By the final stage of W222 prototyping (FEP from 2012/2/22), things were looking great. This is a PPP/FEP stage 730d (final level of prototype before pilot prod./pre-series) and while not in full-spec (as per BMW), it is essentially done with. Nothing much is changing, including the interior.

What needs to be done as we've said already, is wait for a 750i/Li or 760i/Li in full regalia, in of course being an upgrade over the 730d. Even then, the prospects may not look too great. This is likely not even a spartan grade G11 and will be kept until LCi in 2019 and redesign in 2022/23. F01 to G11, is basically E32 to E38 deja-vu. Plenty of "looks the same" and "not revolutionary enough" complaints. Each started with the E23 and E65 7-Series. Hopefully the next 7 is revolutionary.

Old 01-01-15, 02:38 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^I was talking about these photos. Everyone complain how dated and boring it look. But as we all know now, it looks pretty damn good.

Old 01-01-15, 03:07 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

^I was talking about these photos. Everyone complain how dated and boring it look. But as we all know now, it looks pretty damn good.

Oh okay, I see what you mean about the differing W222 spy photos, but these are actually still quite nice. Maybe its just my over enthusiasm back then during W222 development, as I really didn't recall any genuine criticism at this late stage. There were more of the S600 and it still came across as astounding. I believe most complained about the two LCDs and still do somewhat. Everyone one else, were essentially overly biased "fanbois" or simply those that hated MB.

As for the BMW...
It's not so much that the G11 quality looks so cheap, but nothing has really changed that much from the F01 externally and possible similarities to what will be the F30 LCi. I really hope for my mother's sake, the 760Li next year looks eons magnificent and hopefully a world apart from the 730d above. Hopefully the passenger side screen will make up for this on higher grades.
Old 01-01-15, 05:48 PM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cmk1
That is not true at all (at least for W222). The 4GS spy photos were much worse than this if I remember in being blurry and heavily edited to obscure the setting. That was merely a pre-production GS350 (no longer a prototype) and thankfully very last-minute anyway. In this case, Schipol has not been even edited out and BMW has many months to go. The W222 (V222 S500L) when it is was first spied (fully undisguised) on March 18, 2013, was met with plenty of applause and also wonderment from MB's own interior leak. Just under two months from a full unveiling that May, not 6-8 months.

<snip>

Even months to years before that, its prospects looked great from minor leaks (clay and scale models, descriptions, dead-on renders). The only areas of complaint, surrounded the spied interior of an early W222 prototype in the 2011 and early 2012, and silliness over fender flares. By the final stage of W222 prototyping (FEP from 2012/2/22), things were looking great. This is a PPP/FEP stage 730d (final level of prototype before pilot prod./pre-series) and while not in full-spec (as per BMW), it is essentially done with. Nothing much is changing, including the interior.

What needs to be done as we've said already, is wait for a 750i/Li or 760i/Li in full regalia, in of course being an upgrade over the 730d. Even then, the prospects may not look too great. This is likely not even a spartan grade G11 and will be kept until LCi in 2019 and redesign in 2022/23. F01 to G11, is basically E32 to E38 deja-vu. Plenty of "looks the same" and "not revolutionary enough" complaints. Each started with the E23 and E65 7-Series. Hopefully the next 7 is revolutionary.

I was reading this post and I thought: "This must be a cmk1 post." Scrolled up and I was right. You do your research well and are very informative.

Last edited by mordecai; 01-01-15 at 09:51 PM.
Old 01-01-15, 09:25 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mordecai
I was reading this post and I thought: "This must be a cmk1 post." Scrolled up and I was right. You do your research well and are very informative.
Agreed

I would only add that the W222 S-class (new one) hasn't substantially changed from its predecessor the W221 either, IIRC the hard points inside and out are exactly the same.

So what we're seeing is flagship cars with 12-15 year life spans and one significant MCE in between. I guess the market is too small to justify the extra cost of a brand new platform every 6 years.
Old 01-01-15, 10:31 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Agreed

I would only add that the W222 S-class (new one) hasn't substantially changed from its predecessor the W221 either, IIRC the hard points inside and out are exactly the same.

So what we're seeing is flagship cars with 12-15 year life spans and one significant MCE in between. I guess the market is too small to justify the extra cost of a brand new platform every 6 years.
Eh...I'm not sure your assertion is actually true. Reportedly the reason the W222 and W221 share platforms is because the MRA flexible platform wasn't done yet- which is true, as that platform just debuted under the W205 C-class.

Furthermore, this G11 7-series is on a new flexible platform called 35up. It will be under the next 3-series, 6-series, and upcoming G30 5-series.
Old 01-01-15, 11:32 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

I'm the current gen owner of the 7. And had a 2009 750 prior to it. And No, I don't like what I see. The overall shape of the car looks very similar, and I was hoping BMW could come out with a new 7 can compete with the s class :/
Old 01-02-15, 08:15 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
I'm the current gen owner of the 7. And had a 2009 750 prior to it. And No, I don't like what I see. The overall shape of the car looks very similar, and I was hoping BMW could come out with a new 7 can compete with the s class :/
I've always loved the 7 (except the Bangled one that looks so dated), but IMHO the S Class has moved way beyond it based on these pics.
Old 01-06-15, 12:35 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default BMW shows off new iDrive & TouchCommand systems, should debut on the 2016 7-Series

Click here to view more photos

BMW has used the Consumer Electronics Show to introduce two new systems which could debut on the 2016 7-Series.

First up, the company introduced a prototype iDrive system with a touchscreen. Designed to supplement the iDrive controller, the system has a virtual keyboard which should make entering information easier than ever before.

While a touchscreen information system is virtually a shoo-in for the next-generation 7-Series, the system also has gesture recognition technology that uses a roof-mounted 3D sensor to detect hand gestures in the area between the gear lever, steering wheel and Control Display. As BMW explains, "The system decodes different movements – such as tapping, finger rotations or a swiping movement to the right – and performs the desired input. A rotating movement can be used, say, to alter the volume of the radio, a finger raised to accept a phone call or a swiping movement to decline a call."

Besides introducing the iDrive prototype, BMW showcased their TouchCommand rear seat control system. Essentially a Samsung tablet with a special BMW app, the TouchCommand system allows rear seat passengers to control everything from the car's climate and infotainment systems to the adjustments of the rear seats. The tablet is kept in a crash-proof holder and can be recharged by a snap-in adapter.
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11501068...systems-should
Old 02-02-15, 07:39 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default BMW exec says there's demand for an M7

BMW M Head of Product Management, Carsten Pries, has revealed there is "real demand" for an M7.

Speaking to Autoguide, Pries says fans have been clamoring for an M7 and have even gone as far as sending him photoshopped pictures of the 2016 7-Series in M guise and saying "this is what I want."

Despite their enthusiasm, Pries isn't convinced that there is enough demand to warrant an M7. As he explained, “We always have more ideas than resources" and he isn't sure the company should prioritize an M7 over other potential projects.
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11501308...mand-for-an-m7
Old 02-02-15, 08:25 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Title: BMW Exec Says There's Demand for an M7

Body: "Despite their enthusiasm, Pries isn't convinced that there is enough demand to warrant an M7."

Old 02-02-15, 08:27 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Title: BMW Exec Says There's Demand for an M7

Body: "Despite their enthusiasm, Pries isn't convinced that there is enough demand to warrant an M7."

There's also plenty of people clamoring for brown diesel station wagons, but probably not worth the developmental costs.

Quick Reply: BMW Vision Future Luxury Concept Previews Next 7-Series Flagship Sedan