Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 Ford Explorer Sport-pics, minor commentary

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-14, 01:54 PM
dknn
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It always bothered me how Ford packaged the options on the Limited v. Sport, especially in regards to HID lights. Back in 2011, I almost took delivery on an Edge Sport, but ended up with a Highlander which was replaced with a Cayenne.

The Explorer is a nice looking SUV, but feels cramped inside for the size of the vehicle. It reminds me of the new Taurus (large exterior, small cabin). They both share same D3/D4 platform. Regardless, the interior is sweet with the changeable ambient lighting.
Old 04-20-14, 02:44 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

congrats on new vehicle, good luck!
Old 04-20-14, 04:55 PM
dc893
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cons: cheap looking "lower bodyside cladding"-I know its a 4X4 with off road abilities, but they could have color matched it, no HID or LED headlamps (will be on 2015), TPMS doesn't display actual PSI.
Lincolns are the same way for some reason. I don't understand why Ford hasn't added that to anything yet. Seems like most manufacturers with a TPMS can display the PSI for each tire.

That ruby red has got to be the nicest Ford color available. I have found for some reason the people that complain the most about the FordTouch are not technically inclined in the least bit. From my experience it has worked very well. Very nice choice with the Explorer!
Old 04-20-14, 06:12 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Diesel, sorry you've had many minor issues with your Edge - are some to do with the MyFord Touch which i've heard nothing but bad about?

anyway, about those surprised at an explorer being $50k (this one is pretty close to top of the line), maybe you haven't looked lately (i hadn't) but the BASE price for a 2014 toyota land cruiser is over $79k. now i know a land cruiser is a very impressive vehicle, but 60+% more impressive? um, no.
At the very beginning when I first got the Edge yes I was having lots of issues with MyFord Touch Sync but after the major software update they had I haven't had any recent issues.

This time I'll be taking the car in for about 5 different issues the car is currently experiencing.
Old 04-20-14, 06:22 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Diesel, besides the MyFord Touch issues, what else has gone wrong?
Outside of the MyFord Touch issues:

1. Rear hatch would not stay closed- Took two trips to the dealership before they fixed the issue.

2. Drivers side rearview mirror piece was loose

3. Vibration in the steering wheel and in the seat when driving over 60 mph- Taken to the dealership 3 times, in the last trip they replace both front tires and forced balanced all tires.

4. Experienced a transmission slip when applying the gas at around 40 mph, feels like the truck goes into neutral and thumps back into drive.

5. Drivers side door closed but a light indicator appears in the dash saying the door is still open.

6. Keyless entry was acting up and was not locking or opening the door when I was close to the door with the key fob.

7. Brake Booster needs to be replaced

8. -When the gas light comes on and I hit the ok button, nothing happens and the alert does not go away.

9. When I get in the car and hit #1 or #2 memory seat button nothing happens and the seat does not move into the correct position

10. The last 2 times I started the car up it has been hesitating like it doesn't want to start. I hope it doesn't leave me on the side of the road.

11. Excessive wind noise on the A pillar.
Old 04-20-14, 09:33 PM
GSthe4th
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

very nice. i've found my older explorer front seats to be the most comfortable i've ever owned. i get no back pain or aches from even very long drives.

now about that last rear seat pic you showed...

after a second read, i think i understand what you're saying, but i assume you left the headrest on the left seat there, which would be removed? in this config you actually sit on the seat BACK, and lean against the seat bottom, right? edit: i now see on the right seat that the headrest is there, just folded forward into the seat 'bottom' - surely that wouldn't be comfortable.
I agree with you, they will really come in handy on long(er) trips, and I am glad that the seats keep you pain free! I recall the seats in the Edge, I was really happy with those. These seats seem to have the perfect amount of firm/softness. In all honesty (not saying they are on par with) but they remind me of the seats in the LS F sport, less the added adjustability at a minimum.

Actually I do not think that headrest can be removed, only folded down or up as you see it. Normally, it stays folded (as seen on the right side) because it somewhat obstructs the driver's view out back. And again you are right, it is not comfortable, for adults. I think it will have utility with children. Nonetheless, it is a cool idea if nothing else.

Originally Posted by dknn
It always bothered me how Ford packaged the options on the Limited v. Sport, especially in regards to HID lights. Back in 2011, I almost took delivery on an Edge Sport, but ended up with a Highlander which was replaced with a Cayenne.

The Explorer is a nice looking SUV, but feels cramped inside for the size of the vehicle. It reminds me of the new Taurus (large exterior, small cabin). They both share same D3/D4 platform. Regardless, the interior is sweet with the changeable ambient lighting.
Great point, as I now recall HID headlamps are available on the limited. Oh well! As far as the space limitations, I think you get that with most any comparable SUV that can accommodate 7 passengers. My buddies new Tahoe seems no better than the Explorer. Granted I have not looked at all of them.

Originally Posted by spwolf
congrats on new vehicle, good luck!
Thank you! Hopefully we don't need any luck, and the lease term is as smooth as eggs!

Originally Posted by dc893
Lincolns are the same way for some reason. I don't understand why Ford hasn't added that to anything yet. Seems like most manufacturers with a TPMS can display the PSI for each tire.

That ruby red has got to be the nicest Ford color available. I have found for some reason the people that complain the most about the FordTouch are not technically inclined in the least bit. From my experience it has worked very well. Very nice choice with the Explorer!
The lack of numerical display is odd, but people have lived without it for years! Hopefully that correction is in the works.
regarding the ruby red. When they pulled it up after washing ("detailing" as they call it), a few salesmen had their phones out snapping pictures. Apparently, it was the first ruby red sport they had all seen.
Thanks!
Old 04-21-14, 07:36 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Diesel, those issues are pretty bad.... i hate to say it, but lemon law?
Old 04-21-14, 10:16 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Diesel, those issues are pretty bad.... i hate to say it, but lemon law?
I think for the lemon law to take effect it needs to be the same issue 3 times or more, correct?
Old 04-27-14, 03:30 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Diesel350
I think for the lemon law to take effect it needs to be the same issue 3 times or more, correct?
well if i had all those issues, and especially if the dealer has acknowledged you have all of them i'd a) ask the dealer to buy it back or make it right in some way, failing that b) get a lawyer, c) tell dealer you're doing to contact bbb and/or local tv stations / newspaper about the situation. in other words, make a stink. you paid a ton of money for a vehicle and it's got loads of problems.
Old 04-27-14, 03:31 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSthe4th
on a brighter note, gsthe4th i've seen a few fords in that color and it might be the nicest red i've ever seen on a vehicle.
Old 04-27-14, 11:12 PM
GSthe4th
Pole Position

on a brighter note, gsthe4th i've seen a few fords in that color and it might be the nicest red i've ever seen on a vehicle.
I agree, the color is undoubtedly one of the bright spots, and I compare it to any red car I see these days. This one is hard to beat. I just forked out the cash to have the Xzilon treatment as well. Not quite on the level of that volcano red P1, however!
I have the door handles painted now, after my night stretch ends I will snap a picture. Very subtle difference, yet welcome.

Joseph

Last edited by GSthe4th; 04-27-14 at 11:30 PM.
Old 04-27-14, 11:25 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

I'm not a big red fan myself bit this does look good along side the Lexus matador red.
Old 05-07-14, 09:47 AM
GSthe4th
Pole Position

Wifey's final product. Had the door handles color matched, tinted the driver/passenger side windows, and sprayed the back "sport" emblem to match the "Explorer" badge on the grill/hood. Also removed the EcoBoost emblem. Thanks for all the kind words, and I hope to see someone else rocking a 2015 Explorer sport (or the re-designed 2016).
Attached Thumbnails 2014 Ford Explorer Sport-pics, minor commentary-img_1998.jpg   2014 Ford Explorer Sport-pics, minor commentary-img_1999.jpg  
Old 05-07-14, 10:48 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

oh man that looks much better
Old 05-07-14, 10:51 AM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

i believe just because of the fact CHP is using them would help the sale number quite a bit. i think the eco-boost model is a bit over the top, give a Limited 4wd

Quick Reply: 2014 Ford Explorer Sport-pics, minor commentary