Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 Ford Explorer Sport-pics, minor commentary

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-14, 08:15 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by nipponbird
Don't want to cut in from the side, but being a Ford fan I followed the thread all the way to look for one thing specific and that is reliability. We don't get the Explorer here, but to me that's not the point. It is sort of an iconic model for Ford and if reliability on it is spot on, one can can feel, yes, Ford still attaches value to its core corporate values. I have my eye on the Ford Ranger pick-up truck (really a truck to die for) here on these shores and I hope you'll understand why I try to get the take, but apart from guys listing troubles., I cannot say what the contention about reliability really is.
Basically, most people seem to be hung up on the MyTouch system. Now, if you believe the auto rags, then this system must somehow be tied in to the engine, thus increasing the chances of your engine suffering catastrophic failure down the road.

At least....with the noise they make about it, that's what it would seem anyway.
Old 05-08-14, 08:36 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
Basically, most people seem to be hung up on the MyTouch system. Now, if you believe the auto rags, then this system must somehow be tied in to the engine, thus increasing the chances of your engine suffering catastrophic failure down the road.

At least....with the noise they make about it, that's what it would seem anyway.
+1 the people that complain about myTouch are the same people that buy touchscreen phones because rotary dial is out of production
Old 05-08-14, 08:39 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Saw the top of the line Explorer last weekend at Sunfest which is a local festival every year in West Palm Beach.. Although this particular Explorer was a hair over 50k is was certainly nice and the interior was really sharp..
Old 05-08-14, 05:58 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Congrats bro

The color matched door handles will be a nice touch especially since other than the badges there is no chrome trim. The custom tail gate height is great, something the RX doesn't even offer (even a new Pathfinder has that) . Wow so you have halogen headlights? Even the rear taillights are LED. Good news is at least the headlights are projector so perhaps you can just add a HID bulb later. How is the Sony Audio System? Dual Panel Moonroof and Blind-Spot Monitor
what is "custom tail gate height" ?
Old 05-08-14, 06:04 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
what is "custom tail gate height" ?
You can set the height of the tail gate so when it automatically opens it goes to a selected height rather than one that just "does" so to speak. This is perfect for owners with garages that are smaller and when they open the hatch the rear may touch or get damaged. So it's amazing that the Explorer and Pathfinder offer such but the RX does not
Old 05-09-14, 07:51 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
So it's amazing that the Explorer and Pathfinder offer such but the RX does not
Even the RAV4 has it...
Old 05-09-14, 07:58 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GSthe4th
Thank you! Many people have questioned the price, as did I initially, but I was re-assured after researching our options. And those issues with the engine were well documented in the Explorer forum, on the official recall thread here in car chat, and were a concern of mine as well before ordering. Seems like they have all been addressed (thankfully). Can I ask what SUV you and your wife ended up picking?
Glad to hear they got the engine issues resolved. At the time we were looking (last summer) the "fixes" still seemed a little iffy. I still think it's too bad there isn't a V8 option! That being said, the EcoBoost seems like an good engine. I rode in my buddy's F150 Platinum over the weekend with the EcoBoost engine and it had no issues getting up to speed with 4 adult males inside.

We ended up purchasing a Cayenne Diesel for my wife. She pretty much fell in love with the handling and interior compared to the others we looked at.
Old 05-09-14, 08:01 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
Glad to hear they got the engine issues resolved. At the time we were looking (last summer) the "fixes" still seemed a little iffy. I still think it's too bad there isn't a V8 option! That being said, the EcoBoost seems like an good engine. I rode in my buddy's F150 Platinum over the weekend with the EcoBoost engine and it had no issues getting up to speed with 4 adult males inside.

We ended up purchasing a Cayenne Diesel for my wife. She pretty much fell in love with the handling and interior compared to the others we looked at.
I agree. It peeves me to no end to see that Ford is working their hardest to make sure nothing gets a V8 anymore....but the gov't has kind of forced their hand.

I wish they would have left it body-on-frame with a V8. However, this version is not bad.
Old 05-09-14, 08:28 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
your wife has excellent taste.
Old 05-09-14, 10:38 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Even the RAV4 has it...
REALLY?!?! I pray the '16 4RX has it
Old 05-09-14, 02:03 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^ I guess Lexus is expecting rich people to have bigger garages...
Old 08-16-14, 05:42 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2015 Ford Explorer Earns Five-Star Safety Rating From Federal Government

Just the Facts:
  • The 2015 Ford Explorer SUV earned the highest five-star overall safety rating from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
  • The Explorer received five stars in the front and side crash tests and four stars in the rollover crash test.
  • Standard safety features on the 2015 Explorer include traction control, stability control and curve control.

WASHINGTON — The 2015 Ford Explorer SUV earned the highest five-star overall safety rating from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

The Explorer received five stars in the front and side crash tests and four stars in the rollover crash test.

The results apply to front-wheel-drive and all-wheel-drive versions of the Explorer.

Standard safety features on the 2015 Explorer include traction control, stability control and curve control. Curve control can slow the Explorer by up to 10 mph in about one second if it senses a curve is being taken too fast. Options on the Explorer include inflatable rear seatbelts for passengers in outboard seating positions of the second row.

The 2015 Ford Explorer has not been rated by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.

Key competitors to the 2015 Explorer include the 2015 Chevrolet Traverse, Honda Pilot, Jeep Grand Cherokee and Nissan Pathfinder.

Edmunds says: Car shoppers keeping score should note that the 2015 Chevrolet Traverse also earned a five-star overall safety rating from NHTSA. The 2015 Honda Pilot earned a four-star overall safety rating and the 2015 Nissan Pathfinder has not been rated. The 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee two-wheel-drive model earned a four-star overall safety rating, while the four-wheel-drive model earned a five-star overall safety rating.
http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/2015...overnment.html