Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Surprising Car Features Thread

Old 04-20-14, 06:34 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hoovey, that indeed is the Air Scarf from the MB.
Old 04-20-14, 06:56 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO, Ford's keypads are virtually pointless with the invention of smart keys. If smart keys allow you to not have to remove the key from a pocket or purse and simply open the door, then anything else is more effort. The one or two possible scenarios that may arise isn't enough to justify the implementation of the feature.
Old 04-20-14, 07:06 PM
monkey92
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Bit, I wanna say the LS430 had oscillating dash vents too
yup the ls430 does have them. my friends ls430 has them and i thought it was the coolest thing. i dont know why lexus didnt implement them in most of their models.
Old 04-20-14, 07:09 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Others...

Hyundai Equus - Champagne Cooler

Rolls-Royce Ghost - Door umbrellas

Honda Odyssey - Integrated Vacuum

Ford - motion controlled lift-gate

Old 04-20-14, 07:12 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by monkey92
yup the ls430 does have them. my friends ls430 has them and i thought it was the coolest thing. i dont know why lexus didnt implement them in most of their models.
Would anyone be surprised to know that the mid '90's Mazda 626 had them?

Old 04-20-14, 07:18 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
IMO, Ford's keypads are virtually pointless with the invention of smart keys. If smart keys allow you to not have to remove the key from a pocket or purse and simply open the door, then anything else is more effort. The one or two possible scenarios that may arise isn't enough to justify the implementation of the feature.
If you're a frequent runner, being able to lock your keys in the car is a godsend.
Old 04-20-14, 08:47 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I know this isn't a *new* feature, but when i purchased my IS250, i was blown away (pun) at ventilated seats! What a nice lux feature to have! My ball coolers, as i like to call them, have come in handy many, many times! Everyone who rides in the car loves this feature.

Old 04-20-14, 08:59 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Good ones JPL

I too remember encountering ventilated seats for the first time. I was wearing shorts and thought "oh heyy"
Old 04-21-14, 12:40 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by MrMut
I know this isn't a *new* feature, but when i purchased my IS250, i was blown away (pun) at ventilated seats! What a nice lux feature to have! My ball coolers, as i like to call them, have come in handy many, many times! Everyone who rides in the car loves this feature.

Cooled seats are pretty nice. I remember when I had my Camaro, I did the !hot ***** mod. Basically it was taking apart the dash vent, cutting a couple things, so that you could point it straight at your crotch.

Don't know if newer cars have this vent, its on my old truck and SC, its a little skinny vent right below the steering column, blows cold air straight at your crotch.

One thing I really do wish they'd bring back that I had on two old Cadillacs is the four note trumpet horn. Honk the horn on that old 91 Brougham, sounded like a tug boat. Loudest factory horn ever.
Old 04-21-14, 04:28 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

IMO, ventilated seats are more useful to have than heated seats and still a majority of cars don't come with them. In the hot summer they are a great supplement to AC.
Old 04-21-14, 06:21 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Sometimes it's the big things, sometimes it's the little things...

I think the most-noticed/talked about feature of my SC430 isn't the retractable roof (I guess that's a given), but it's the automatic down-tilting outside mirrors.

For those that don't know, when you put the car in Reverse (and the mirror adjustment selector switch is NOT in the center position), the two outside mirrors automatically tilt down, so you can see the ground below the car better for parking/backing out of a space.

It's REALLY handy.

While you're in reverse, you can also manually move the mirrors around anywhere you want, to make sure you've got clearance or whatever and, as soon as you take the car out of reverse, the mirrors go right back to where they were supposed to be.
Old 04-21-14, 07:25 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
that's fine if you like (or don't mind) carrying around keys, or key fobs in your pocket. i don't like carrying around keys.

love the rolls-royce umbrella you found though. i guess that's virtually pointless too since you can just have an umbrella in the car.
Old 04-21-14, 07:38 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

^ but you don't have to remember to carry an umbrella anymore , and more importantly make the inside carpet wet with a dripping umbrella. Also remember you are the Lord in the RR. Your driver/chauffeur will open the door for you, pull out the umbrella and walk with you keeping you dry.
Old 04-21-14, 07:49 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

The MB philosophy of having a phone keypad on the dash. Best thing ever, esp for the passenger who wants to call, and my phone is in my pocket. Very direct access

Surprising Car Features Thread-ecdupow.png
Old 04-21-14, 07:50 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MrMut

This one literally blew me (and was better than sex)!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Surprising Car Features Thread