Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Is Lexus a leader or follower TODAY?
Leader
27.50%
Follower
25.00%
Both
45.00%
Neither
2.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Lexus - leader or follower?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-14, 08:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Good thread, bitkahuna.

I'm not going to write a whole book on the subject. But, to be at least fairly brief, I'd say that Lexus started out as a leader in the 1990s, along with Infiniti and Saturn, with a completely new standard of customer-friendliness and service. It also proved that a well-built, refined Japanese-designed full-size luxury sedan could succeed in the U.S....even more so than the preceeding (and smaller) Acura Legend. Lexus vehicles, for a time, were the very definition of quality and refinement. But, along about the mid-2000s, obvious cost-cutting issues became apparent in the design/materials used, emphasis started shifting away from comfort to sportiness (essentially following the shift of other automakers to more sport-oriented tires/suspensions). Also following other automakers, form started to prevail over function in styling (rooflines, headroom, grilles, etc....) and the vehicles became too complex with their electronic systems/controls.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-17-14 at 05:00 PM.
Old 04-17-14, 09:03 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Being a leader is overrated.

Lexus does perfect execution of their products. I don't care about having the latest gimmick. I care about quality, functionality & reliability. And that's were Lexus excels. Perfect execution.

Besides Lexus does have a good record of "worlds firsts"
Old 04-17-14, 09:08 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

It's an interesting question. Mark me down with the others who feel that Lexus leads in some areas, follows in others.

There is no question the Lexus was really leading when they burst into the scene with the original LS400. But it's much harder now for Lexus to lead like that. The established luxury brands have forever been changed because of the original LS, and they will not likely be caught sleeping again. Lexus has made the other brands better. This is why I love competition.
Old 04-17-14, 10:16 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
glad.

lexus leads in areas for sure (hybrid tech for example), and yes, lexus has well earned a stellar reputation for reliability. about perfecting... well their voice recognition has always been pretty lame. haven't tried the very latest though...

but like several others have said in this thread, lexus both leads and follows, with each aspect different at different times. i know it's almost impossible for any brand to keep going full blast indefinitely (think apple, for example, which has also has its ups and downs), but i want lexus to blow me away with the next LS and RX! i was last blown away by the LF-A.
How about the 4GS?
Old 04-17-14, 12:17 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
How about the 4GS?
obviously a good car overall and a big step forward in handling and interior, but it didn't blow me away. same old V6. started with 6 speed auto and missing features in u.s. launch (remedied now). and i don't care for the f-sport front end. the 4GS attempts to be a 'better 5 series' and maybe it succeed, but i don't want to go down a whole GS discussion. obviously others love everything about it.
Old 04-17-14, 12:19 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

obviously a good car overall and a big step forward in handling and interior, but it didn't blow me away. same old V6. started with 6 speed auto and missing features in u.s. launch (remedied now). and i don't care for the f-sport front end. the 4GS attempts to be a 'better 5 series' and maybe it succeed, but i don't want to go down a whole GS discussion. obviously others love everything about it.
Fair enough. Just curious
Old 04-17-14, 12:49 PM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

follower. lexus is not leading. when I see a new gs I say meh.
Old 04-17-14, 03:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano
The "refreshed" Equus interior seems the same to me as the original. I know people say it was improved but I really don't see it or feel it.
The new Equus interior is completely different:

Previous:

Refresh:

Its a great car when you take the price into consideration. Not so much when you don't.
Old 04-17-14, 03:23 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The new interior is definitely more aesthetically pleasing but it didn't "feel" like an improvement for me. If that makes any sense...
Old 04-17-14, 03:37 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

GS is first car that took down 5 series from the throne by having better chassis, that car is definitely a leader in its class for the basic car criteria - suspension, chassis and resulting handling.

Looks, design, options and personal preferences are something completely unrelated.

For every other Lexus we could find some other cars that does at least some things better...
Old 04-17-14, 08:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano
The new interior is definitely more aesthetically pleasing but it didn't "feel" like an improvement for me. If that makes any sense...
Material quality I agree is similar, but I think some of the new packaging (the metal trim for instance) hides some of the material quality issues on the refreshed dash.
Old 04-17-14, 08:41 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

poll added. (note, it asks the situation TODAY, not in the past)
Old 04-18-14, 02:13 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

My vote is for follower.
Old 04-18-14, 05:43 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Lexus is (and has been) a leader in reliability since its inception.
Old 04-18-14, 06:07 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

poll added. (note, it asks the situation TODAY, not in the past)
cool... if we are talking about Today... NX is launching tomorrow officially in Beijing, and to me it is clear leader in its class.

RC launching this year could also be leader in the class, but that is really depending on handling, which should be good.

Quick Reply: Lexus - leader or follower?