Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

"Get a Porsche, it's very reliable" they said.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-14, 10:28 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Wow, pretty shocking, I have been talking up a Porsche 911 to my dad for a future car but he seems to be set on a Corvette, maybe I shouldn't be pushing the 911 as much after seeing this though, he would not deal with those problems and treatment. 911's are generally supposed to be pretty reliable but I have heard of some really bad nightmare experiences and huge repair bills and now they have the fires with the new GT3 and all of them being recalled for a new engine.
Old 04-18-14, 01:05 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

I would still get a panamara if i could... Man that car is nice...
Old 04-18-14, 01:10 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 477 Likes on 299 Posts

No reliability issues with either of my two 997s. The odd problem car will slip through the net even from manufacturers with otherwise excellent (and deserved) reputations for quality. With that said, this poor guy's car is clearly an absolute dog and Porsche should step up and do the right thing. It sounds like they are trying to cheap out. He should get his money back in full.

Last edited by swajames; 04-18-14 at 01:20 AM.
Old 04-18-14, 03:15 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Wow, pretty shocking, I have been talking up a Porsche 911 to my dad for a future car but he seems to be set on a Corvette, maybe I shouldn't be pushing the 911 as much after seeing this though, he would not deal with those problems and treatment. 911's are generally supposed to be pretty reliable but I have heard of some really bad nightmare experiences and huge repair bills and now they have the fires with the new GT3 and all of them being recalled for a new engine.
Porsche vehicles tend to have specific problems or are limited to specific model types or generations (IMS/RMS, 991 GT3 fires) so it is mostly a matter of doing research and picking specific models, or in the case of problem cars, seeing if TSB work or replacements have been done.

Overall, I think Porsche quality is still pretty good, but it's certainly taken a hit IMO with a lot of these recent problems.
Old 04-18-14, 03:39 AM
Nights
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
No reliability issues with either of my two 997s. The odd problem car will slip through the net even from manufacturers with otherwise excellent (and deserved) reputations for quality. With that said, this poor guy's car is clearly an absolute dog and Porsche should step up and do the right thing. It sounds like they are trying to cheap out. He should get his money back in full.
I think that's the main thing. I have several colleagues who have had Porsches, and they've never had any major issues with them, but really Porsche have shot themselves a little bit in the foot by trying to "cheap out" and not just refund/replace this guys car. As a premium car brand, a certain level of customer service is expected, and their response to what is obviously a lemon has been poor from a PR perspective to say the least.

The same sort of PR stupidity happened in Australia recently with VW, when there was clearly a problem with the DSG transmission, and an inordinate amount of cars were coming in with busted transmissions, and VW refused to order a recall and fix the problem, and instead forced customers to pay out of their own pocket if the car was out of warranty. It took a couple of serious accidents and an expose story in a major newspaper before the company confessed and organised a recall. VW sales had a fairly major dip and they had to offer quite severe incentives to get their sales back up for a while.

You'd think it'd be cheaper for these car companies to just fix the damn problem and help their customers, especially in the social media age where things spread/become viral so quickly.
Old 04-18-14, 04:58 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 477 Likes on 299 Posts

Couldn't agree with you more, nights.
Old 04-18-14, 05:12 AM
tombungay
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am very surprised that Porsche has not refunded the money. More and more car folks are hearing the story.