Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Aston....Bentley...Maserati...which do you choose?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-14, 03:48 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I personally wouldn't get any of them, a new car at the $65-70k range is a much better buy.

You get more technology, all new parts and material, and build standards of today. I don't think Maserati/Aston was so great in the 08 era. I'd probably go with Bentley but ultimate, none of those. Any other choices? I see you are asking about m6 gran coupe, I'd actually recommend that over those cars.
Old 04-16-14, 07:50 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by GQD_GS4
The general consensus on 6speedonline has been that Aston V8 Vantage from 2008+ has been pretty reliable. If I remember correctly, factory warranty is about $3200 per year.

Hard work pays off, congrats for putting yourself in a good position. Here is what I come home to:

Can we vote on the Supra?
Old 04-16-14, 08:28 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Out of the 3 I would choose the aston.

However I think an r8 would be a better choice
Old 04-16-14, 09:23 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

None of the above ~ if I had 65k to spend I would save a bit more and get a clean 360 Modena in a 6-speed manual (white or yellow)
Old 04-17-14, 06:04 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s4play
None of the above ~ if I had 65k to spend I would save a bit more and get a clean 360 Modena in a 6-speed manual (white or yellow)
You'll sped 65k on on maintenance over the course of 3 years, they aren't the fast unless you for a challenge car. I understand its a Ferrari and that does make it special, but I would like my Ferrari to be faster than a base C6 Corvette.
Old 04-17-14, 07:33 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Or if you want a real exotic sports car for $65k, how about a brand new Lotus?
Old 04-17-14, 08:10 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by doge
You'll sped 65k on on maintenance over the course of 3 years, they aren't the fast unless you for a challenge car. I understand its a Ferrari and that does make it special, but I would like my Ferrari to be faster than a base C6 Corvette.
Is this from ACTUAL real life experience or a myth you read about on the internet?

I have plenty of friends who have these cars. If you buy a well maintained and serviced car, I cannot see this being maybe $3-5k per year. Then again I drive my cars maybe a few thousand miles per year. If you plan to daily drive a Ferrari you probably need deeper pockets anyways.

Where did you get the $65k for 3 years number?

Silicon Valley Ferrari here services my friend's F-car and he pays maybe $1500 for a routine oil change. Again I'm not talking about buying a beat up car with high miles. Well maintained car needs very little to drive it year after year. If you are going to add in there insurance/gas well that is a cost factor for ANY sports car. Going fast it not the only thing in life or everyone would just buy a Vette or Viper.
Old 04-17-14, 08:13 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

P.S. Out of the OP's 3 brand choices, NONE of them are low maintenance or cheap cars either. It's not like he was asking to buy a Camry.

The dealer here locally in Los Gatos services Aston / Bentley and they charge an arm/leg. My friend's dad bought a new Bentley, battery died from sitting too long so the dealer charged him $600 to replace the battery on a brand new 2013 car! At least the tow was free. My point is any of these cars are hardly zero maintenance so if he chooses a used $65k Bentley, I hope he has deep pockets for the associated costs.
Old 04-17-14, 04:26 PM
huy33
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Is this from ACTUAL real life experience or a myth you read about on the internet?

I have plenty of friends who have these cars. If you buy a well maintained and serviced car, I cannot see this being maybe $3-5k per year. Then again I drive my cars maybe a few thousand miles per year. If you plan to daily drive a Ferrari you probably need deeper pockets anyways.

Where did you get the $65k for 3 years number?

Silicon Valley Ferrari here services my friend's F-car and he pays maybe $1500 for a routine oil change. Again I'm not talking about buying a beat up car with high miles. Well maintained car needs very little to drive it year after year. If you are going to add in there insurance/gas well that is a cost factor for ANY sports car. Going fast it not the only thing in life or everyone would just buy a Vette or Viper.
I lost interest in exotic cars when I read that a routine oil change is $1500. I'm out! 2 maybe 3 x $65k cars please!
Old 04-17-14, 05:01 PM
Machog
Driver

Get a Porsche, new Cayman or Boxter or lightly used 911.

My friend had huge repair bills on his 2010 Aston's transmission, even then it was never right. Most Maserati reviews I read say quality isn't there only the price! If could have the Porsche, Bentley GT would be the way to go.

Machog
Old 04-17-14, 05:05 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

it is pretty sad that I cant get loaded IS for $65k, let alone anything like Aston.
Old 04-17-14, 09:21 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
it is pretty sad that I cant get loaded IS for $65k, let alone anything like Aston.
The OP is asking about the USED market
Old 04-18-14, 07:18 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

I know this is a Lexus board so I'm assuming many of you have owned a Lexus at some point.....

The Lexus interior and quality is top notch for a production car with high standards. The Aston is nothing like this so for those of you who lust for the car, I would simply say DON'T!

It's about 5-8 years behind in technology, form and finish. Driven quite a few and afterwards my best explanation is " I can't believe people actually for this stuff just to have a brand name badge".

At used prices they may look attractive because of the price but there's a reason. Expensive to maintain, even more costly to repair out of warranty and dated electronics are the top 3. This is why used ones hold 1/3 value if you are lucky. If you compare new to new ($200k to say $120k for the M6GT, I cannot imagine ever wanting to own the Aston. Pocket the $80k difference and you have a much better car.

If you really only have $65k to spend on a toy - go look at used M5's or try to save a bit more to get a F-car. Hey if you are going to get raped either way on maintenance at least get a worthy car.

The ultimate question at the end of the day is what would you write the check for. If I had to spend $65k today on a single toy car, it would easily be a late model 04/05 NSX with a supercharger. You can get some very nice ones in this price range such as this car:

here's a beauty I would totally get this if I didn't already have mine:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showth...NA21674T000078

Old 04-18-14, 09:09 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
We are getting some true gems being posted today
Well the Continental and Flying Spur are based on the Phaeton, which was a FWD VW.
Old 04-19-14, 12:58 AM
kwr
Pit Crew

I know this is a Lexus board so I'm assuming many of you have owned a Lexus at some point.....

The Lexus interior and quality is top notch for a production car with high standards. The Aston is nothing like this so for those of you who lust for the car, I would simply say DON'T!

It's about 5-8 years behind in technology, form and finish. Driven quite a few and afterwards my best explanation is " I can't believe people actually for this stuff just to have a brand name badge".

At used prices they may look attractive because of the price but there's a reason. Expensive to maintain, even more costly to repair out of warranty and dated electronics are the top 3. This is why used ones hold 1/3 value if you are lucky. If you compare new to new ($200k to say $120k for the M6GT, I cannot imagine ever wanting to own the Aston. Pocket the $80k difference and you have a much better car.

If you really only have $65k to spend on a toy - go look at used M5's or try to save a bit more to get a F-car. Hey if you are going to get raped either way on maintenance at least get a worthy car.
Some cars need tech to make up for their short comings. You buy an Aston for its sheer beauty. It (like most exotics) is not a rational purchase and typically high depreciation is tied to vehicles with high MSRPs. Resale value is also impacted by the limited buying pool. As a multiple BMW owner, I'd never pick an M5 (or any BMW) even with higher perceived build quality, reliability and tech over an Aston. There's no comparison.

I'd only buy a Bentley or AM if I did not have to meet with clients or drive to an office. Both cars are flashy. The Maserati seems more humble or less flashy...lol

Quick Reply: Aston....Bentley...Maserati...which do you choose?