Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Should/Will Lexus compete in the ultra luxury sedan segment?

Old 04-15-14, 02:50 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Should/Will Lexus compete in the ultra luxury sedan segment?

I don't know about most of you guys but I feel there isn't enough competition in the ultra-luxury sedan class. There is the Rolls Royce, Bentley and thats about it. Maybach is now gone and soon to be replaced by a buffed up version of the S class. Should Lexus pursue this next level of luxury?

In my opinion, Lexus is all about being better and more refined but we are not seeing the pinnacle of luxury from them, which we should. They need to showcase their best work (the LFA of ultra premium luxury sedans) and I think they would do a brilliant job.

Lexus has been able to sell a 120k Hybrid and a 400k supercar, can they build and sell a special sedan in the range of 200-300k?

Thoughts?
Old 04-15-14, 03:01 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

that market is dying...
Old 04-15-14, 03:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

not only is that segment dying (on top of the fact that the current luxury flagships are all pushing the boundary of getting better and better), given how hard it is/was for lexus to push a 120k lsh and 400k lfa, i think it would be an ultra hard job to push a car north of 200k. truth is, big part of that segment is all about blind status, symbol, prestige, etc...

i would rather have lexus focus on making the current flagship better, maybe pushing it to some 150k niche packages, and more high end coupes in the same price range
Old 04-15-14, 03:12 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
that market is dying...
Disagree, the wealth gap is increasing not decreasing. Wealthy is getting wealthier and exotic, luxury and ultra luxury premium products are seeing major growth across the globe. We have more million dollar cars than ever before.

Bentley and RR also have phenomenally increased sales.

But I don't think the point is about the market, was there a market for the LFA? or was a market for Lexus to prove to the world that they too can take on performance and build quality of the best and even surpass them in many ways?
Old 04-15-14, 03:15 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Maybach failed - Lexus has no shot in that segment.
Its a very limited niche of buyers.

Name brand is the most important thing as a car in that range symbolizes a status symbol more than anything.

Bentley and Rolls are the main players.
AstonMartin needs to get their stuff together but could potentially be a player.
Old 04-15-14, 05:02 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
Lexus has been able to sell a 120k Hybrid and a 400k supercar, can they build and sell a special sedan in the range of 200-300k?
corporate pretty much drove the sale of 500 LFAs which took a couple of years to sell. the LS600hL sells in tiny numbers even though it's probably the world's most sophisticated car drivetrain (awd, hybrid, v8...).

anyway, i think lexus would be far better served trying to really go after the mb s-class than going even further up market.
Old 04-15-14, 05:10 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

Lexus may have a good shot (LF-LC) competing in the 150K-200K GT coupe class with the likes of Aston Martin, Maserati, upcoming XJ and S-class coupes, but not in the sedan class as we've seen Maybach RIP. People will spend the big bucks on a RR or Bentley sedan, not on a Lexus in volumes that would be profitable. Lexus is not there yet. Perhaps in another 25 years and with the help of an LFA II / III, a GT, and other vehicles to continue to elevate the brand.

A real-world present example is the launch of the Equus a couple years ago and now the Kia K900. Now is not the time since their brand is still too young in people's minds of its economy roots and therefore the following from the prestige buyer is extremely limited. Of course I've always said how much of a big mistake launching these excellent and pricey cars within their economy brand is - they need a luxury brand, but that's a whole different conversation. LS should remain the flagship sedan at the 80-120K range for the foreseeable future.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 04-15-14 at 05:14 PM.
Old 04-15-14, 05:20 PM
LexFather

The market is not dying at all. The market is growing. If done right it's an amazing idea.

Old 04-15-14, 07:16 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think they should build a $200k uber flagship but it would have to be amazing in every way. It would have to be LS400 II but outdoing Rolls and Bentley for less money versus MB and Cadillac with the original LS.
Old 04-15-14, 08:45 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

awful idea. in this segment those filthy rich dudes doesn't want to save money. they actually want to spend more money.

no point pursuing this.
Old 04-15-14, 09:30 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

S-Class can easily replace those ultra luxury car. Lexus can just make a better car than S-class.
Old 04-15-14, 09:30 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I think its a great idea. It will help elevate the Lexus brand, thus selling even more of the lower end models.
Old 04-15-14, 10:14 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cino
S-Class can easily replace those ultra luxury car. Lexus can just make a better car than S-class.
I agree with this. I think Lexus needs to offer more variants of the LS first before entering into any ultra luxury sedan territory. The S Class is more expensive and is currently killing the LS in sales. You couldn't say that 10 years ago. So something has slipped with the LS as it is still the more affordable full size luxury sedan. I can only guess offering variants more expensive and less expensive than the current LS460 (including even an LS350) will help boost sales.
Old 04-15-14, 10:32 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lex2InfiN
I agree with this. I think Lexus needs to offer more variants of the LS first before entering into any ultra luxury sedan territory. The S Class is more expensive and is currently killing the LS in sales. You couldn't say that 10 years ago. So something has slipped with the LS as it is still the more affordable full size luxury sedan. I can only guess offering variants more expensive and less expensive than the current LS460 (including even an LS350) will help boost sales.
The current LS is quite old by now, Lexus needs to hit the next one out of the park. If they would charge what MB charges for the S-class, the LS would be a much better car than the S-class.
Old 04-16-14, 01:02 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Lexus ZS600t

Just throwing that out there Lexus, feel free to build it..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Should/Will Lexus compete in the ultra luxury sedan segment?