Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 BMW X1 (Page 2)

Old 06-02-15, 06:49 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

= kind of looks like 2 series SUV inside

- interior plastics and leather look not luxury
- FWD BMW with 3cly diesels...heh.
- base car might have 6.5" (with nav) or worse possibly without nav... 8.8" is "premium nav" only. Half priced vehicles in Europe these days have 7" screens base.
- auto-brake systems seem gimped with various limitations and probably crazy high price.

+++++++ much, much, much better looking inside and outside than before
+++++++++++ looks like bmw finally.
+ more space inside makes it reasonable choice for family vehicle in Europe.
+ it will likely sell like crazy in Europe.

I could even see myself getting this with some mid-spec equipment package, s18d with 150hp and FWD.
Old 06-02-15, 09:06 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
I honestly cannot believe how bad the X1 is and the pass it gets. It just comes across as cheap and not worthy of the BMW badge. With the base halogens and trim it really really is bad. However clearly some people don't care at all.
I agree. The interior screamed cheap. And my parents owned a 08 Camry, I thought the materials in the X1 felt cheaper. Thin plastic everywhere. New one looks better. Hopefully they used better materials within. The GLA interior should be their benchmark.
Old 06-02-15, 09:20 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

So far, this interior looks much better than the GLA. I can't get over the plastic flip covers on the center console
Old 06-02-15, 09:39 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
- interior plastics and leather look not luxury

- base car might have 6.5" (with nav) or worse possibly without nav... 8.8" is "premium nav" only. Half priced vehicles in Europe these days have 7" screens base.
The Lexus NX has a 7" screen for Navigation, where yes even a Kia Soul can get an 8" screen

I think the interior looks fine for the segment and looks like some nice stitched/soft materials on the center console down to the iDrive controller. Nice open pore type wood trim as well.
Old 06-03-15, 11:59 AM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

wow. this thing looks exactly like the previous generation, but turned it into a fwd car. i actually thought the previous X1 was a sharp looking car and the closest thing you could get to a bmw wagon if you wanted the n55 engine and decent performance.

majority of buyers of this car won't care and it will sell like hot cakes though
Old 06-03-15, 04:30 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pbm317
The Lexus NX has a 7" screen for Navigation, where yes even a Kia Soul can get an 8" screen

I think the interior looks fine for the segment and looks like some nice stitched/soft materials on the center console down to the iDrive controller. Nice open pore type wood trim as well.
NX in Europe gets 8" screen... little cheapo Aygo gets 7" screen. Personally, I am not going to pay for premium nav which is $3.5k option here in X3. Thats way too much for X1. So yeah, I would be stuck with 6.5" screen in $40k vehicle brand new for 2016. Also, trip computer looks like from 90s, another sucking point.

It is not a big deal for most people but this is car basically being released in 2016. Way, way, way better than what we got with first X1 though.
Old 06-03-15, 08:50 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The current X1 is a great car. I'm leasing X1 ultimate for my daughter, and she couldn't be happier. It is loaded up to the gills and still very inexpensive to lease. It is based on last gen 3 series, and the interior is pretty much identical to last gen 3 series in quality and design. The nav screen is kind of small, but with excellent i-drive it is very comprehensive. I would much rather take a smaller screen with i-drive over a large screen with some clusterpluck controller.

The new X1 looks great, but a wrong wheel drive BMW is just that - wrong.
Old 06-03-15, 10:17 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We take an exclusive look at the new BMW X1 SUV - the German brand's smallest model. It's set to debut at this year's Frankfurt Motor Show with more style, space and rugged looks.

Last edited by Motor; 06-07-15 at 09:41 PM.
Old 06-04-15, 09:13 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
The current X1 is a great car. I'm leasing X1 ultimate for my daughter, and she couldn't be happier. It is loaded up to the gills and still very inexpensive to lease. It is based on last gen 3 series, and the interior is pretty much identical to last gen 3 series in quality and design. The nav screen is kind of small, but with excellent i-drive it is very comprehensive. I would much rather take a smaller screen with i-drive over a large screen with some clusterpluck controller.

The new X1 looks great, but a wrong wheel drive BMW is just that - wrong.
Well, i will have to disagree.. old X1 is poor excuse for BMW. Only reason to get that is for the badge. I just read report on new X1 in Autobild, and they admitted how bad X1 was - poor ride, poor comfort, poor materials, poor BMW.

New might be FWD, but everything else is much, much better. I dont know who buys suv for RWD anyway, certainly not for wife/daughter.

Anyway, here is Autobild:
http://www.autobild.de/artikel/bmw-x...e-5786601.html

The plastic cockpit, the Rock-hard suspension tuning and the rumbling diesel stood in stark contrast to the good image of BMW and the high level of prices from 28,000 euros.
The first X1 was a success - but not a real BMW. Here the Bavarians have now refilled and made a convincing compact SUV on the wheels. Fans of the brand, however, will have to get used to front-wheel drive and three-cylinder.
pic from mid-spec X1 2.0d

Old 06-04-15, 01:43 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Looks much much better inside and out!
I was not expecting it to look this good based on the camo pix.
Old 06-04-15, 05:41 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
Well, i will have to disagree.. old X1 is poor excuse for BMW. Only reason to get that is for the badge. I just read report on new X1 in Autobild, and they admitted how bad X1 was - poor ride, poor comfort, poor materials, poor BMW.

New might be FWD, but everything else is much, much better. I dont know who buys suv for RWD anyway, certainly not for wife/daughter.

Anyway, here is Autobild:
http://www.autobild.de/artikel/bmw-x...e-5786601.html
This maybe a crappy european model, its much nicer here in the US. I find the interior a lot nicer than the new 3 series sedan loaner that I had. I'll snap some pics when I have chance if you don't believe me. Once again, here in the US its based on the last gen 3 series sedan, and its very similar to it on the inside. Drivetrain is identical as well, its got a 4" lift and obviously wagon/suv shape. It's also surprisingly quick for a 4 cylinder.
Old 06-04-15, 10:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Huge improvement inside and out. I'm troubled about the FWD though.
Old 06-05-15, 08:05 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
This maybe a crappy european model, its much nicer here in the US. I find the interior a lot nicer than the new 3 series sedan loaner that I had. I'll snap some pics when I have chance if you don't believe me. Once again, here in the US its based on the last gen 3 series sedan, and its very similar to it on the inside. Drivetrain is identical as well, its got a 4" lift and obviously wagon/suv shape. It's also surprisingly quick for a 4 cylinder.
Looks exactly like the one I test drove in Westchester, NY. Maybe yours is a top of the line one, but a lightly optioned middle of the pack X1 costing around $39k is horrible inside. It drove nicely but I kept thinking, this interior feels like crap. I find this typical of BMWs. I test drove a 650 Grand Coupe and while the interior was nice, fell far short of comparably priced MB, Lexus, and Audi models.

Anyway, it looks like the aesthetics has improved a lot for this updated model. Hopefully The feel of the materials is better all around, too.
Old 06-05-15, 10:47 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The current X1 is not that bad, I got a mid spec 28i with RWD. It is what it is, a 30k little wagon. I used it as a go around car and fun car. The steering and chassis is fun and rigid, to be honest for short trip I would take it over my 7 since it's fun, I call it the crazy rat
Old 06-05-15, 12:53 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by T0ked
Looks exactly like the one I test drove in Westchester, NY. Maybe yours is a top of the line one, but a lightly optioned middle of the pack X1 costing around $39k is horrible inside. It drove nicely but I kept thinking, this interior feels like crap. I find this typical of BMWs. I test drove a 650 Grand Coupe and while the interior was nice, fell far short of comparably priced MB, Lexus, and Audi models.

Anyway, it looks like the aesthetics has improved a lot for this updated model. Hopefully The feel of the materials is better all around, too.
Well, BMW's have never had the most plush interiors, but you also need to compare apples to apples. The X1 is based off a last gen 3 series (car that was launched in 2006), and its interior is nothing to write home about, but certainly not "horrible" like you put. Certainly no worse than last gen C class or even current CT and RX. And even the new 3 series interior is not that much better, since some of the materials are thinner and flimsier.

However these BMW interiors are practical and have the most intuitive interface available. Compared to the i-drive everything else is either a half assed copy or a useless clusterpluck. And it has a ton of options to chose from - for instance my daughters X1 has ultimate package which includes stuff like heated steering wheel, nav, rear camera with guide lines, dimming mirrors, panoramic moonroof, and a bunch of other very nifty stuff while still being very affordable.

But most importanly with 3 series drivetrain this car drives like a proper BMW. The new X1 is going to be based off a platform that is positioned below the 3 series, most likely the new 1 Series FWD platform that is not even sold in USA. With FWD it simply will not drive like a BMW should, and don't be fooled by press photos - the interior will not look so great in person. The only two things that it will have on the current X1 are LED headlights (which are nice looking but less efficient that HID) and large screen.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2016 BMW X1 (Page 2)