Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Official: 2015 Kia Sedona

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-14, 10:17 AM
Initial B
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thing is awesome inside & out, with one huge exception for a van - the center console in between the front seats. Deal breaker for me, so I'm back to looking for a Sienna. Being able to hop from the front to the back without going out in the rain or heat is a huge plus and is just one reason why vans destroy large SUVs as people and cargo movers.
Old 04-18-14, 10:19 AM
Initial B
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by yardie876
applesauce wielding demon
lol

this is why only cheerios and water are allowed in my cars
Old 04-19-14, 07:52 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Initial B
This thing is awesome inside & out, with one huge exception for a van - the center console in between the front seats. Deal breaker for me, so I'm back to looking for a Sienna. Being able to hop from the front to the back without going out in the rain or heat is a huge plus and is just one reason why vans destroy large SUVs as people and cargo movers.

I believe that Kia's goal with this generation of the Sedona was to make it look more like a SUV than the typical (Grand Caravan, Sienna) minivan. Note what they did with some of the stereotypical minivan cues:

1. Low beltline: Minivans are known for a low beltline and big windows, but Kia has raised the beltline for the first 2 rows and made it even higher for the 3rd row. SUVs increasingly have (much) smaller 3rd-row windows.

2. Short, sharply sloping hood: Minivans have been known for the short, sharply sloping hood while SUVs have been known for longer, flatter hoods. The hood on this new Sedona is longer and flatter than the typical minivan hood (although minivans seem to be going to flatter hoods).

3. Open space between front driver and passenger footwells, if not an open space between between 1st and 2nd rows: Although new minivans have been placing a bin between the 2 front seats, none has yet gone to a full-length console as the Sedona has, and which SUVs have.

I applaud this move to change the typical style of the minivan. As many have said, you cannot beat a true minivan, with the flat floor from 1st row right back to the back hatch, for space. Yet, fewer are buying minivans, flocking to the perceived more-stylish (but less practical and less roomy) SUV. I have wondered why manufacturers have not tried to build SUVs with interior flat floors or tried to style minivans to look more like SUVs.
Old 04-19-14, 08:04 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Form over function. That's what Kia's are all about..
Old 04-24-14, 10:56 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

New one looks worlds better

Old 04-24-14, 11:27 AM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by yowps3
Form over function. That's what Kia's are all about..
by your logic every darn sedans are form over function because of the center console. and high belt lines - not just kia thing.

but i do miss good old visibility of my old volvo wagon back in the days.
Old 04-24-14, 12:24 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

one of the best looks minivans out there.
Old 05-20-14, 01:42 PM
Initial B
Lead Lap

when is the release date for this?
and does anyone know if the '15 Sienna or Quest are getting updated?
Old 05-20-14, 04:10 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

website says fall 2014 for sedona
Old 05-20-14, 07:25 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Initial B
when is the release date for this?
and does anyone know if the '15 Sienna or Quest are getting updated?
there's another Van that gets neglected like no ones business. It's been quirky for years
Old 05-20-14, 07:45 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
there's another Van that gets neglected like no ones business. It's been quirky for years
Back in the day my parents bought a '97 Quest and it was great. It had 2 built in car seats which was awesome. Within the 2nd year of ownership the rear AC and radio stopped functioning, which we lived without. The major issue we had was the fact that the car would sputter and shut down if the gas needle dropped anywhere below a quarter tank. We had the car looked at numerous times and the dealer (nor our mechanic) could figure out what the problem was. To add insult to injury, if it did shut off, it wouldn't start for at least 2 hours. Eventually my parents ditched it and bought a Sequoia which has been completely bulletproof, even after driving cross country. Twice lol. That generation Quest left such a bad taste in their mouths they swore off Nissan and only buy Toyotas now. The other non Toyota car they bought was an f150 but I don't know where start on that one.
Old 05-20-14, 08:57 PM
Initial B
Lead Lap

yeah, when I first saw the current Quest, I couldn't believe how ugly it was and instantly dismissed it. But then I test drove one recently, and I actually really liked the CVT in this application, and it handled great. Interior is definitely a few notches above the Sienna as well, which is the van I have wanted since '11. But the cheapening of the Sienna models below the Limited is pretty disappointing.
Old 05-20-14, 09:50 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

'15 Sienna gets much needed interior upgrades and very minor exterior tweaks.
Old 08-24-14, 10:42 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Is the Sedona officially on sale? I saw a soccer mom leisurely driving one yesterday but there is still no info available on Kia's website aside from a fall 2014 release. It looked good in the flesh btw.
Old 08-24-14, 11:43 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
Is the Sedona officially on sale? I saw a soccer mom leisurely driving one yesterday but there is still no info available on Kia's website aside from a fall 2014 release. It looked good in the flesh btw.
probably a test car or press vehicle or someone who knows someone...

web info:
http://www.kia.com/us/en/vehicle/sedona/2015/experience

Quick Reply: Official: 2015 Kia Sedona