Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How Mercedes F1's Ingenious Split Turbo Works

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-14, 05:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts
Default How Mercedes F1's Ingenious Split Turbo Works

Been reading a few regarding the way Mercedes designed their F1 car this year. Pretty interesting and I think this video explains it well

http://jalopnik.com/how-mercedes-ing...ium=socialflow

How Mercedes F1's Ingenious Split Turbo Works

We've known that Mercedes F1 split their turbo in half, but this excellent tech video, put together by ex-F1 racer Martin Brundle and SkyF1, explains why it's just so effective.P

The video is worth it for the technical animations alone, but it's amazing to see how the relatively simple solution cascades into a number of benefits across multiple systems on the Mercedes grand prix car.
Old 04-09-14, 05:37 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

wow that's cool. Thanks for sharing Henry
Old 04-09-14, 05:50 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i have to be honest, i miss the old v10 days. that sound was just so awesome. i could even live with the v8 too. with the latest turbo 6, it just doesn't sound as exciting anymore

but to see how technology evolves and cars actually keep on getting faster and fast, it's just insane
Old 04-09-14, 05:53 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i have to be honest, i miss the old v10 days. that sound was just so awesome. i could even live with the v8 too. with the latest turbo 6, it just doesn't sound as exciting anymore

but to see how technology evolves and cars actually keep on getting faster and fast, it's just insane
Heck yeah give me V12, V10, V8. I fear the day they downsize to four cylinders. But yes this is impressive and its possible to see this sort of implication on future road going FI MBZs powertrains
Old 04-09-14, 05:54 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

saw it this morning, it's pretty cool how they've implemented this.
Old 04-09-14, 06:09 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

i just read an article on how slow they actually are... they are far from the record pace in 2004 and are much closer to gp2 cars now, numbers were based on last race.
Old 04-09-14, 08:23 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

But the racing is so much more exciting now.

I'm pretty glad with this shift. These engines are more relevant now and that means R&D will flow into road cars. Nobody uses naturally aspirated V10s any more except Lamborghini.

Of course I would love a Turbocharged V10, but not sure what I would need that for. I'm already struggling to fully use the 560whp on M5.
Old 04-09-14, 09:18 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by spwolf
i just read an article on how slow they actually are... they are far from the record pace in 2004 and are much closer to gp2 cars now, numbers were based on last race.
good point and i agree. in some way they are doing all these to force the cars to be "slower" for safety but that pushes teams to make even better cars. just like the switch to v8 back then and then the results keep creeping up still

Originally Posted by *Batman*

I'm pretty glad with this shift. These engines are more relevant now and that means R&D will flow into road cars. Nobody uses naturally aspirated V10s any more except Lamborghini.

Of course I would love a Turbocharged V10, but not sure what I would need that for. I'm already struggling to fully use the 560whp on M5.
yup, that's one thing i like, all these tech trickling down
Old 04-10-14, 02:23 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

amazing
thanks for sharing the cool video
I wonder how fast the other teams will start picking up on this tech though since it isn't all that complex
Old 04-10-14, 02:49 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

That's a pretty awesome idea. It reduces complexity, the number of parts, and makes the engine smaller/easier to package. The application of this technology for road cars is pretty astounding IMO. I bet by the end of the decade every V6 or V8 Benz engine will use this type of turbo setup, both in gas and diesel engines.
Old 04-10-14, 03:51 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

good point and i agree. in some way they are doing all these to force the cars to be "slower" for safety but that pushes teams to make even better cars. just like the switch to v8 back then and then the results keep creeping up still
yes of course, teams are doing their best to invest their> $500 million budgets and make their cars faster.... despite all the restrictions.

IMHO, unfortunately, F1 cars are simply not so fast anymore... 8s off pace vs 2004 units, and only 2s faster than GP2 cars.

Even the tech - LMP1 has more tech permitted than F1 now, and flexibility in rules allow for greater valiance of technology. F1 has become more about F1 politics than racing.

For instance, for 2014 LMP1, Toyota is using NA V8, Audi is using V6 turbo diesel and Porsche is using 4cly turbo.
Old 04-10-14, 05:31 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

F1 needs to be the bleeding edge of motorsport racing, not Formula Prius
Old 04-10-14, 06:24 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Lol are you comparing a street car to a F1 car?
Old 04-10-14, 08:24 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Don't forget that straight line speeds are up. The decrease in lap times comes from reduced aero and harder tires that can deal with the higher torque at low speeds and ultimately the fuel flow limit.

For those that haven't been following F1 as long and rue the day they switch to 4 cyl motors be aware that F1 already *had* them! 850 hp and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brabham_BT52.

Sure I miss the sound of V12s but the overall technology is awesome and it's great to see drivers drive (rather than hang on as the aero "sticks" the car to the road) and to actually be able to hear the tires etc... is kind of cool even if that isn't as awe inspiring as the wail of a V12.
Old 04-10-14, 08:46 AM
LexFather

I can't even watch..sounds like a bunch of goats racing.....the sound is part of the F1 experience to me...

Cool tech tho

Quick Reply: How Mercedes F1's Ingenious Split Turbo Works