Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How Mercedes F1's Ingenious Split Turbo Works

Old 04-10-14, 10:07 AM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awsome stuff! Maybe we can see this tech in their upcoming amg gt road car, it's already comfirmed by amg boss that this car will have a new 4.0 v8 tt.
Old 04-10-14, 10:20 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by UberNoob
amazing
thanks for sharing the cool video
I wonder how fast the other teams will start picking up on this tech though since it isn't all that complex
i thought about the same too. i wonder if they are allowed to file patents for these designs?

Originally Posted by Mr Johnson
Don't forget that straight line speeds are up. The decrease in lap times comes from reduced aero and harder tires that can deal with the higher torque at low speeds and ultimately the fuel flow limit.

For those that haven't been following F1 as long and rue the day they switch to 4 cyl motors be aware that F1 already *had* them! 850 hp and won the world championship.

Sure I miss the sound of V12s but the overall technology is awesome and it's great to see drivers drive (rather than hang on as the aero "sticks" the car to the road) and to actually be able to hear the tires etc... is kind of cool even if that isn't as awe inspiring as the wail of a V12.
yeah probably coz' i am a tech guy so outside of the v12 and sound, i am quite fascinated by all these new tricks and techs
Old 04-10-14, 01:53 PM
MelF1fan
Driver

The tech is fascinating and it will be great to see the technology trickle down to our future cars soon enough.

I'm one however, that still wants to go back to the days of the V10 and car style - Sooo Fast Sooo Loud
Old 04-12-14, 09:58 AM
TerrySmith
Intermediate

Originally Posted by *Batman*
But the racing is so much more exciting now. . .
Yes, the switch to the new formula has totally reset and shaken up the playing field. I think the Bahrain race was the most fun to watch of any in the last year or two, at least.

Mercedes put on quite a show up front and other teams put on good shows further back. Suddenly the Red Bull engineering team aren't the geniuses they have been lauded as being before. (I suspect that their IQs haven't really changed much.)

But the same shakeup would have occurred if the formula had reverted to larger NA engines or allowed traction control or something else.

So this change in the rules has made the races more exciting (at least for a little while) which is good, but that's a slightly different topic than what the new formula actually is.

The races might be even more exciting with a reset playing field and faster (rather than slower) cars.
Old 04-12-14, 10:13 AM
TerrySmith
Intermediate

Originally Posted by UberNoob
amazing
thanks for sharing the cool video
I wonder how fast the other teams will start picking up on this tech though since it isn't all that complex
Seems like some major changes to the car would be required beyond the new turbo, like moving the transmission and changing the body shape.

Some of the teams, like Lotus, are barely able to field the cars they have with the budgets they have and some are having troubles getting the cars to run. Like both McLaren cars (even though already Mercedes powered) retired from the Bahrain race with clutch problems and a Renault-powered Caterham retired with an oil leak.

Red Bull and Ferrari might have the budget to make these kind of changes but I suspect several of the other teams do not.
Old 04-12-14, 10:16 AM
TerrySmith
Intermediate

Originally Posted by spwolf
yes of course, teams are doing their best to invest their> $500 million budgets and make their cars faster.... despite all the restrictions.

IMHO, unfortunately, F1 cars are simply not so fast anymore... 8s off pace vs 2004 units, and only 2s faster than GP2 cars.

Even the tech - LMP1 has more tech permitted than F1 now, and flexibility in rules allow for greater valiance of technology. F1 has become more about F1 politics than racing.

For instance, for 2014 LMP1, Toyota is using NA V8, Audi is using V6 turbo diesel and Porsche is using 4cly turbo.
As a (mostly TV) spectator, I prefer the ISMA and WEC sports car races to F1 (although the Bahrain F! race was really good). If I were to trek to Austin this fall, it would be for the WEC race, not F1 and I already have tickets for the United Sports Car Challenge races at Laguna in May at least.