Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My four-year build: Supra content inside

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-14, 01:40 PM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Very nice build. Wow.
Old 06-09-14, 08:55 PM
SEXC
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great build but don't think I could be without the car for that long. Congrats on keeping it together all this time. Hope to see the car at the September meet. Keep up the great work
Old 06-10-14, 07:24 AM
516IS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First off, my hats off to you on this brave and amazing build, I had a great time reading through your entire build process, thanks for sharing with all of us, I wish you nothing but the best going forward and hope you can get this baby on the road without any more hiccups.
Old 06-10-14, 08:15 AM
that2JZguy
Driver

Thanks guys, really glad you're all enjoying the write-up. Progress is still being made to sort the last of these issues. After the wastegates come back from rebuild we will get tuning underway and finally see some numbers.

SEXC if you are referring to SIV then yes I will see you there!
Old 06-11-14, 03:19 PM
that2JZguy
Driver

Here's the reason why my wastegates wouldn't open at the correct pressure. Both of the diaphragms inside the wastegates were pinched by the springs. They were sent off to TiAL for rebuilds and are already on their way back. As soon as we get them back on the car, it goes on the dyno to resume tuning. We will sort the IAC problem along the way.

Random cool pic of the fuel line routing.
Old 06-11-14, 07:45 PM
SEXC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by that2JZguy

SEXC if you are referring to SIV then yes I will see you there!

That's the meet I'm talking about. I'm in the process of doing a few ricer mods to appeal to the judges. I'm hoping to win an award this time

I'm glad you're still chagrin forward after so many obstacles you have come across
Old 06-11-14, 10:00 PM
that2JZguy
Driver

Originally Posted by SEXC
That's the meet I'm talking about. I'm in the process of doing a few ricer mods to appeal to the judges. I'm hoping to win an award this time

I'm glad you're still chagrin forward after so many obstacles you have come across
Seriously man, it has been a never-ending battle. I've got grey hair already, I'm not even kidding.

First thing I'm gonna do when I get the car back is tuck it away in the corner of the garage, crack a few beers and just sit there staring at it for hours, then take a nice long out-of-town vacation where I can relax and not think about the car.
Old 06-23-14, 08:07 AM
that2JZguy
Driver

Well the wastegates were sent off to TiAL for rebuilds and came back still sticking above 30psi so instead of waiting for them I'm going with new TurboSmart 45mm wastegates. Car will be back on the dyno Tuesday afternoon/Wednesday morning. IAC signal is intermittent, still finding the root cause of this. Hopefully a new IAC motor cures this. This just means the car idles like crap before the ProEFI figures it out in like 30 seconds.
Old 06-23-14, 01:14 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

amazing build. Best of luck. Truly epic build and very rare dedication
Old 06-26-14, 10:48 AM
that2JZguy
Driver

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
amazing build. Best of luck. Truly epic build and very rare dedication
Thanks sir! I have a feeling the dedication is going to pay off soon...

So the wastegates are still not regulating boost after getting them rebuilt and sent back by TiAL themselves so instead of waste time, we tested a new TurboSmart wastegate on the car and sure enough it is opening right where we need it to. Today the other TiAL will come off, a new TurboSmart will go on, and the dump tube flanges will be modified to fit.

After this, the car rolls back onto the dyno for tuning. With the wastegates regulating base pressure we can get a solid base tune in and go from there. Settings 1-3 should be 20psi, 24psi, 28psi on 100 octane or relatively similar.

Dyno video in the next couple days? We will see!
Old 07-03-14, 09:40 AM
that2JZguy
Driver

DYNO VIDEO

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h5...psac6db4f2.mp4

600+hp on setting 1!!! Boost comes on so quick and just pulls like a bat out of hell until redline. I have lots of updates to post but am about to go into work so later tonight I will have time. Enjoy the video until then!

Last edited by that2JZguy; 07-06-14 at 12:25 AM.
Old 07-04-14, 03:45 AM
that2JZguy
Driver

Alright I've got a quick second to update. Thanks to everyone who has commented so far and anyone else enjoying these updates. Again I'm kind of using this as an online journal so I can keep track of all the updates for when I write the big build thread for Supraforums. I've kept totally quiet on there about my build and the progress of the car.

So we got the TurboSmart wastegates on there and sure enough they are opening around 23psi which allows us to control boost through the mac valve from there. With 100 octane in the tank and boosting on wastegate pressure, the car made over 600hp easily. This is setting 1........ of 5.

The one limiting factor of my build did become an issue for us. The Precision 1000cc injectors were already at 78% duty cycle on this pull. We would max the injectors out in the early-800hp range and not even close to the maximum potential of the car. I knew they would limit the power the whole time but I didn't know it would be this bad. I gave the shop the go-ahead to swap the old injectors out with some new ID1300 high-imp injectors. This will allow us to make the same power we just did but on 50-55% duty cycle. I'm really glad this surfaced and we decided on this route because it has been scratching at the back of my mind ever since I dropped the car off.

There are no other issues with the car. Starts up and idles perfect every time now that we have the IAC wiring figured out and also a new idle motor in there. The turbo is spooling super fast and doesn't drop off at all - holding rock solid to redline. Tuning will resume next week after we swap the injectors and that's all I've got to report. Thanks!
Old 07-04-14, 09:10 AM
Mazinger
Rookie

Sweet, it's a shame parts are getting harder to find for these cars.
Old 07-06-14, 12:25 AM
that2JZguy
Driver

Originally Posted by Mazinger
Sweet, it's a shame parts are getting harder to find for these cars.
I haven't necessarily had this problem. Any OEM part I needed was ordered through my local Toyota dealership (or Curt @ Elmhurst) and all the vendors stocked the aftermarket parts I decided on. Other parts were sourced through the classifieds on Supraforums. I don't think I ever had a problem finding something I needed. Your location states UAE so maybe that's why?
Old 07-17-14, 08:00 PM
that2JZguy
Driver

Car made 780hp today just playing around between settings 2 and 3 on the ProEFI.

Rolling antilag demonstration in 3rd and 4th gear.

Quick Reply: My four-year build: Supra content inside