Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What car should my 64 years old father pick?
IS300H $56300 USD
33.33%
ES300H $59600 USD
41.67%
Camry Hybrid (Made in Taiwan) $41300 USD
16.67%
Others (post your suggestion in the thread)
8.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Buying Advise needed for senior driver in Asia: IS300H vs ES300H vs Camry Hybrid??

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-14, 12:00 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Buying Advise needed for senior driver in Asia: IS300H vs ES300H vs Camry Hybrid??

Hi all,

Im on a business trip visiting Taiwan (Taipei) and also visiting my father.

His really old Mercedes 1992 E320 really needs to be changed
as much as he and I love that sexy german car, it is old, outdated, inefficient and too cumbersome to drive in tight city streets of taipei
(my father's has a bunch of Carlsson mods, mostly cosmetics though)

A little bit more about my father, he is 63, semi-retired. Money isnt a huge issue but we do appreciate value and try not to waste unnecessary money on packages not needed

Here are the top 3 contenders
Lexus dealership here has
1. IS300H for around $56300 USD base version (has 7" screen, no GPS, leatherette/nuluxe, no moonroof not needed anyways)

2. ES300H for $59600 USD base version (no screen, leatherette/nuluxe)

3. Camry Hybrid 2.5L + electric mid trim $$41300 USD (has screen, no GPS, Nappa grade leather)

all 3 have the same drive train which would be a winner for the style of driving required in Taipei city
there are many other subtle differences between these 3 cars though

he and I are both leaning towards IS300H for its smaller sizes for easier city driving and parking (90% of the time is spent in the city)
also he is the only person in the vehicle 95% of the time
the new camry platform has grown so big overtime that its sheer size could be a problem...

Taipei does have some bad roads but it is always improving and road speed are relatively slower than US so bumps are not as harsh

what are your thoughts and what would you pick if you were in my dad's shoes?

thanks

(yes, cars are THAT expensive in Taiwan... Panamera turbo is almost $300k USD in Taiwan)
Old 04-01-14, 04:28 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

Camry? Prius?
Old 04-01-14, 12:21 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What other criteria are allowed?

Does it strictly have to be Lexus/Toyota? Is he willing to purchase from other brands? Also, does it have to be a hybrid?

In any case, here are my recommendations so far (I'll post two cars first...........then the rest at a latter time):

Toyota Alphard

Toyota Previa

Last edited by Blackraven; 04-01-14 at 12:25 PM.
Old 04-01-14, 01:29 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I choose the ES, just seems to make the most sense for someone coming from a Mercedes who is 64.
Old 04-01-14, 01:47 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

why would he want a van blackraven? If you read, he likes IS300h since it is smaller... he doesnt have people or luggage to carry around.
Old 04-01-14, 03:12 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

What about CT200h? More luxurious than Camry, yet smaller... with it being hatchback, he can fold back seats and get big trunk when needed. Peppy enough around town too.
Old 04-01-14, 03:23 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
What about CT200h? More luxurious than Camry, yet smaller... with it being hatchback, he can fold back seats and get big trunk when needed. Peppy enough around town too.
Yep, I was going to recommend CT200h the moment I read the OP. If I lived in Taipei and had to drive (and park) a lot, I would probably buy a CT. It's a very popular car there which reflects the ease of driving/parking. Of course I have seen lots of 3IS300h my last few visits to Taipei also...

Originally Posted by UberNoob
(yes, cars are THAT expensive in Taiwan... Panamera turbo is almost $300k USD in Taiwan)
Yeah, import duties are ridiculous. I had a 600hL as a chauffeur car last year and was told it MSRPs for the equivalent of over 200k USD.
Old 04-01-14, 03:25 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

^^^ Good point about the CT. Owned one and it is a fantastic city car.

Based on your criteria, my vote goes to the IS300h. It's 5 inches shorter than the Camry, and 8 shorter than the ES.
Old 04-01-14, 04:21 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

No thanks on the van. I think Alphard is meant to be driven in.

We thought about ct200h too but the is300h is brand new model with more tech and not much price difference.

The really cool thing about is300h is the batteries are in the spare wheel well area and not behind the rear seats so the rear seats fold 60/40

Finally a Lexus sedan with rear fold down seats!
Old 04-01-14, 04:33 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

while I think the is300H will match your criteria of size and value (gas and price), I would imagine the ride to be a little harsh for your father. The IS line is pretty sporty and coming from an E class mercedes, it might seem bone jarring for a 63 year old.
Old 04-01-14, 05:45 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by edgeucated
while I think the is300H will match your criteria of size and value (gas and price), I would imagine the ride to be a little harsh for your father. The IS line is pretty sporty and coming from an E class mercedes, it might seem bone jarring for a 63 year old.
True, but a 63 year old in that part of the world is a hell of a lot tougher than a 63 year old in the US.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using IB AutoGroup
Old 04-01-14, 05:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I have to basically agree with the CT200h suggestions, but make sure your dad can tolerate the CT's firm ride. It is much firmer than what you will find on the average Camry. Also, make sure he can get in and out easily...the car sits quite low.
Old 04-02-14, 12:21 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

No thanks on the van. I think Alphard is meant to be driven in.

We thought about ct200h too but the is300h is brand new model with more tech and not much price difference.

The really cool thing about is300h is the batteries are in the spare wheel well area and not behind the rear seats so the rear seats fold 60/40

Finally a Lexus sedan with rear fold down seats!
Ah I see.

But the question still remains:
-Does it have to be Toyota/Lexus? Is he open to other brands?
-Also, does it have to be a hybrid?

Anyways, more recommendations

Audi A5 Sportback

BMW 528i (F10)

Jaguar XF Diesel S

Mercedes Benz CLS 350

Volkswagen Passat Variant

=)
Old 04-05-14, 06:44 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

The reason why we are thinking hybrid is because of the stop and go traffic in the city and the slow speeds. Also quite a bit of idling half of the time.

Hybrid would be great idling with the ac on during summer months

The reason we thought about Lexus is of course I never have had a single malfunction with my gs300.
Also Toyota has the best and most proven hybrid driver train at this moment.

CLA250 is a great choice. I am taken by the design but there are no hybrid CLA...

Tough choices but I do know he needs to downsize

If it was for myself, I'd get the Audi RS6 which is available in Taipei but not USA. Muahaha
Old 04-06-14, 08:56 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

The reason why we are thinking hybrid is because of the stop and go traffic in the city and the slow speeds. Also quite a bit of idling half of the time.

Hybrid would be great idling with the ac on during summer months

The reason we thought about Lexus is of course I never have had a single malfunction with my gs300.
Also Toyota has the best and most proven hybrid driver train at this moment.
Ah I see

CLA250 is a great choice. I am taken by the design but there are no hybrid CLA...
There isn't.

With that said, I would choose the A250 Hatchback over the CLA250 anyday. Either that.....or the B200 Night Edition

Tough choices but I do know he needs to downsize
Hehe up to what extent? A Mini Cooper? Or a Skoda? Or does he want a Taiwanese auto brand (i.e. Luxgen)

P.S.

If it was for myself, I'd get the Audi RS6 which is available in Taipei but not USA. Muahaha
Yeah I saw it too.

If I remember right, the RS6 Avant is on display in both Audi Zhongshan and Audi Banqiao

Quick Reply: Buying Advise needed for senior driver in Asia: IS300H vs ES300H vs Camry Hybrid??