Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 Three Row Crossover / SUV Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-14, 04:22 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts
Default 2014 Three Row Crossover / SUV Comparison

Comparo of the 8 most popular mid-size three-row crossover. Who's the winner?

Old 03-29-14, 10:12 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default For those who want the answer *Spoiler*

1. Hyundai Santa Fe
2. Dodge Durango
3. Toyota Highlander
4. 2014 Nissan Pathfinder
5. 2014 Kia Sorento
6. 2014 Honda Pilot
7. 2014 Ford Explorer
8. 2014 Chevrolet Traverse
Old 03-29-14, 03:23 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

I was expecting the Highlander to come out on top in this review. Biggest surprise is the Durango, but credit to Chrysler making big improvements in their products. In the end, it's one review out of many and when one factors in reliability, the new Highlander is tough to beat.
Old 03-29-14, 05:08 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Price difference between the Durango and Highlander was $15k...holy crap. Definitely didn't expect the Durango to come in first.
Old 03-30-14, 12:20 AM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

it's amazing how pricey those trucks are. Wow, i did not realize how much suvs cost today.
Old 03-30-14, 04:32 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by MrMut
it's amazing how pricey those trucks are. Wow, i did not realize how much suvs cost today.
Agreed Which makes for an easy case to spend just a few more bucks and a premium or luxury equivalent instead.
Old 03-30-14, 07:23 AM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Highlanders and Pilots should own this award year after year. honestly, how many of those other competitors do you actually see on the road after 5 years? not many. so factor in reliability, cost of ownerships, it should just be an annual race between Highlander and Pilot.
Old 03-30-14, 08:33 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Lol... Easy now. The Pilot and Highlander are great and super reliable vehicles but the others don't just spontaneously combust after 5 years. There's still plenty of each rolling around after that time frame.
Old 03-30-14, 09:27 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't help but wonder if a Limited Highlander would have placed a little higher - the reviewers really talked up all of the toys and tricks in the Durango, which the Highlander Limited pretty much also has, but not the as-tested XLE.
Old 03-30-14, 10:52 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
Highlanders and Pilots should own this award year after year. honestly, how many of those other competitors do you actually see on the road after 5 years? not many. so factor in reliability, cost of ownerships, it should just be an annual race between Highlander and Pilot.
LOL, 5 years nowadays is nothing. All of these vehicles will still be on the road in 5 years, operating pretty much as new. Any automobile nowadays will be.

If we're talking 15-20 years from now you have a point, but even 10 years some vehicles may have more issues than others, but they'll all still be "on the road".

Thats something we all need to realize, that talking about "incredible reliability" and all is fine, but really...how long are you going to own these vehicles? For me...I don't know that I will ever again own something older than 5 years old. Technology moves so fast for one thing, I'm going to want something newer and modern. So...pretty much I can buy anything and know that it will be running without major repairs being necessary. Annoying minor warranty repairs, sure theres a difference.

The new Highlander is pretty nice, but the Pilot is ugly, boring, cheap inside...no matter how reliable it might be I wouldn't even bother test driving one let alone buying one.
Old 03-30-14, 12:01 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Not the current Pilot--it can't hold a candle to the Highlander. I drove a '12 when comparing to the Highlander and CX-9. It may be reliable and practical, but it was just not on par with those other 2 cars.

I ended up with the CX-9 Grand Touring and love it.

As far as price, I'm not so sure you can just "spend a few thousand more" and get a lux SUV. I got my loaded CX-9 for $34,500; a loaded Highlander Limited (including nav) would have been about $36,500. Try getting an RX350 or an MDX with nav for that price. (I realize that the Highlander is now new, and the price has creeped up, but there will be deals again).

Last edited by tex2670; 03-30-14 at 12:05 PM.
Old 03-30-14, 01:26 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,365 Posts

Highlanders and Pilots should own this award year after year.
really? the highlander is great, and new, but the pilot is not in the same league. it's noisier, particular with their awful "cylinder management" which cuts half the V6 cylinders making a clatter and vibration no matter how good their noise cancellation is.

honestly, how many of those other competitors do you actually see on the road after 5 years? not many.
seriously? they're all on the road not only 5, but 10+ years.

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Agreed Which makes for an easy case to spend just a few more bucks and a premium or luxury equivalent instead.
a few more bucks? you mean like $5-10k is a few? most people aren't interested in spending it to get better free loaners, coffee and pastries when paying a bundle for service.

Originally Posted by MrMut
suvs are big tall cars many with an extra row of seats. they have all the options of cars, plus generally a bigger engine so no wonder they cost more than cars. the explorer, which started the segment really, was a truck with a cargo box, and since trucks were so cheap to build, explorers weren't big bucks, but even then they were far from econobox cheap.

so when you say how much they cost today, perhaps you haven't looked at pricing through the years. the difference now is that suvs come in many sizes with all levels of features, and since 'standard' equipment continues to get more and more, not to mention inflation, of course the prices have gone up.

but then again, i think i paid near $40k out the door for a new 1999 RX300. a $40k highlander TODAY is better in EVERY way.
Old 03-30-14, 02:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the explorer, which started the segment really, was a truck with a cargo box, and since trucks were so cheap to build, explorers weren't big bucks, but even then they were far from econobox cheap.
Even back in the day Explorers weren't cheap by any definition. We had two, a 94 and a 97, 94 was an XLT, 97 was a Limited but we shopped for them for a few years before we got the 94. The 97 Limited was $38k...in 1997 dollars. A loaded 91 or 92 Explorer Eddie Bauer when they came out was $28-30k...back then $30k was a lot of money for a car.

EDIT- I was finally able to watch the video...can't say I disagree with any of their findings. The Santa Fe is a great vehicle...as is the Durango, which is basically a stretched Grand Cherokee which I have. It rides incredibly well, I have not driven a Durango but with the longer wheelbase I bet its even better. I've often said the Grand Cherokee is the best road trip vehicle I've ever had, except maybe the Lexus LS.

Last edited by SW17LS; 03-30-14 at 02:52 PM.
Old 03-31-14, 09:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Seems like there's no question the Durango would be the most pleasant one to drive and live with, day to day, though reliability, like with its brother Grand Cherokee, could be a concern. But, I think, to some extent, that they are selling both the Sorento and the Traverse a little short. I did a review on a new Sorento not long ago, and found it very quiet, refined and comfortable, not the harsh-riding sport-oriented vehicle they say it is. And the Traverse, like many newer GM products, has good fit/finish and would appeal to many as a good alternative to the Durango. I agree that the new Ford Explorer is a little disappointing and, IMO, somewhat pricey for what you get. I can't comment on the new full-size Santa Fe's driving experience (they seemed to like it, as it won). But I found the somewhat smaller, less-expensive Santa Fe Sport too firm-riding for my tastes.
Old 03-31-14, 10:26 AM
LexFather

The first 3 really are good. Having rented a Durago it is REALLy well done inside and out. I love the looks personally. The new Highlander is very well done, a lot of thought into the execution. I've heard good things about the Sante Fe.

Quick Reply: 2014 Three Row Crossover / SUV Comparison